Quantcast

Loosening upper bolt on RC4 on 2010 Glory

marko

Chimp
Apr 5, 2010
Hello!

Just got mine brand new baby glory on friday and rode it the whole weekend, pretty excited about how it handles compared to 2009 model. Just noticed one problem...upper bolt on rear shock is constantly loosening, have to tighten it after few rides, have done it about 5 times in 3 days of riding.:confused: There is blue loctite inside, obviously doesn't help? And when i took the bolt out, i noticed, that the color is wearing out pretty quick. What could be wrong???

Thanks and regards,
Marko

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
The same thing happened on a friend of mines 2010 DH0 - fresh grease and fresh loctite and your good to go :thumb:

NB: The collar ( bush ) will wear much faster if everything is loose in there.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
My and my buddy, has the same problem :|
I've been using LocTite 243, which seems to be too weak.
I think I'm gonna try 270.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

trailrider

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
I'm having the same problem.

The bolt is coming loose every two to three runs. I check it after every run now to be sure. I was thinking of buying a longer bolt and putting a nylock nut on the other side to keep it on.
Anyone know if this will stop the bolt coming loose?

I was also thinking of lubing the shaft of the bolt where it goes through the shock eye to see if that would stop the shock from rotating it loose.

I had a similar bolt setup on my kona but it never came loose in three years of riding. I dont understand why this one is coming loose so easily.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've applied fair amount of Loctite 243. Have to wait till it cures. I hope I will have opportunity to check if it helps during the wknd.
If not, I'm gonna contact Giant and ask for help.

marko

Chimp
Apr 5, 2010
I took mine glory to my mechanic today and he will try putting something stronger inside and we'll see how it will go. Will report how it handles. But i think we should anyway adress this problem to giant so they are aware.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
my buddy keeps having this problem with his. He tends to ride the rough trails though. Makes his bike feel like an '02 stinky owned by a 13 year old.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, it seems that using 243 loctite, leaving the bolt for about 36h to be cured properly, solved the problem :)