Quantcast

loosing data packets while pinging my machines...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i´ve been having some problems with my internet connection.

in my voip phone i get some blanks of silence while speaking (although i do not get disconnected). there are a few sip and ip phones over here. regular ip phones get virtually no problem, but my phone (thats a sip) kinda stutters with the blanks.

i started pinging my phones, and other computers around here.
i called my internet provider (wireless), and they say they could reach my antenna with no problems and no loss, but they lost some packets when reaching my machine/phone. i tried then pinging my machines from within the network... and i get sometimes a few packets lost.. like one every 100 or something like that. but funnily that doesnt affect the ip phones eveybody uses, just mine (sip).

i´m pretty sure the silence issue has to do with the lost packets, i´ve tried today switching cables, jacks, etc... but no luck.. i still get some lost data packets from my pc.
what can else can i try?

this isnt my job at the office, but i figure if i fix this on my own before the IT guys come it... it´d put me in good light with the bosses.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm... So it's ONLY packets coming in and out of your machine that have problems?

Do you have another network card you can throw in the machine? Could be a loose connection in your hardware.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Hmm... So it's ONLY packets coming in and out of your machine that have problems?

Do you have another network card you can throw in the machine? Could be a loose connection in your hardware.

my phone also has the problems, it has its own ip and is connected directly to the network.
for the pc, am gonna try the integrated network card later...

am not sure how to check when the packets get lost, since ping.exe tells me if they get lost in the roundtrip.... what app can i use to know for sure at what point they get lost?

anyway, i suspect the packets are lost when coming in, because when the silence happens with people they keep talking (as if they hear noise coming from my side) until their voice kicks in. so i suspect that means data, at least, dont get lost so much when they come out of my phone....

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
It may be hardware - make sure all connections have been terminated properly.

SIP uses TCP and UDP primarily - try using a packet analyzing app such as Ethereal. You can see excactly what traffic is coming in and out depending on where and how you install it.

Are you using NAT on your wirless connection? If so, that may be your problem - SIP doesn't like certain types of NAT. SIP uses RTP for delivery of the packets, and RTP does not traverse NAT routers.

If SIP is using primarily UDP then any Firewall may block or breakup traffic, which may be the cause of your poor reception.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BUCKET said:
It may be hardware - make sure all connections have been terminated properly.

SIP uses TCP and UDP primarily - try using a packet analyzing app such as Ethereal. You can see excactly what traffic is coming in and out depending on where and how you install it.

Are you using NAT on your wirless connection? If so, that may be your problem - SIP doesn't like certain types of NAT. SIP uses RTP for delivery of the packets, and RTP does not traverse NAT routers.

If SIP is using primarily UDP then any Firewall may block or breakup traffic, which may be the cause of your poor reception.
thanks, thats a lot of useful information....

i tried yesterday a few things, but to no help.
when i came in today, the it guys had already replaced my lan card, my phone, the wires and my hub... havent had a problem yet today.
we´ll see how it fares for the next few days..