Quantcast

Loosing Weight Quick and Gaining Muscle

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I've looked around a lot for a bunch of diets and stuff of what I can eat and do to keep energy up but what will also help me to loose weight.

I'm about 5 9'. I used to weigh 130ish last season, now after not doing anything but skiing and eating fast food over the winter, I gained quite the gut on me. I now weigh about 150ish. If I remember correctly, I have lost 5 pounds so far but it has taken me a long time.

I've been keeping or atleast trying to keep my calories down. I want to get down to 130-140 but put most of the muscle in my legs if I can. I'm a little sh!t too, i don't lift weights nor have any intention too, I just ride my bike. So, what should I be eating?

I usually eat Chicken and Fish, try to stay away from too many red meats but end up eating quite a bit, I have to wake up at 6 am for school so I eat a bowl of Multi-Grain Cherrios, and for lunch I either eat a salad without dressing or whatever school serves. Should I just stick to what I am eating now and just give it time or should I change something? Any help is great, thanks.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
How quick are you talking, if your in a real hurry you can talk to a wrestler...but their methods aren't very healthy. Try adding a tough bike/run workout to your routine three or four times a week(at least an hour of good aerobic workout). I know that as soon as I start running for cross country in the fall I lose six or so pounds that I didn't even know I had to lose.

Hope that helps at least a little

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I've lost weight about the worst way. I've started a medication in early Janruary, and I weighed about 230 when I got it. I weigh 200 now. Whatever you do, make sure you eat, I hardly eat lunch and dinner now, just no appitite anymore.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
2 keys - lifting and calories.

For real, long term weight loss, lifting is key (assuming you don't have a hyperactive metablism). It's the only way to keep the weight off long term. Plus, you said you wanted to add muscle, so how else are you going to do that?

Calories are also key... but not so much how many rather than what kind and when you consume them. As the day goes on your calorie intake should drop. Have a big breakfast, a good lunch, and a small dinner, with a snack between each meal. Focus on healthy fats (poly/monos, not trans or saturated), healthy carbs (fiber, not sugars), and lean protein.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Well I don't want to add muscle to my arms or chest or anything. I want to gain muscle and tone my legs for racing. I don't want to lift weights but I think what i'll do is like some of you suggested and do a little bit of lifting and more exercise. I know i'll loose the weight quickly because I train everyday for atleast 30 minutes of really hard riding to 2 hours of hard riding.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
To put muscle on your legs - squats and deadlifts. A HUGE word of caution: find a personal trainer to show you the right form. If done correctly, these two exercises, along with a decent plan 2x/week, can give you the muscle you want. If done improperly, these exercises can hurt you.

Tone is the result of low body fat and lean muscle mass. As jackson suggested, lifting and calories are teh key.

This article is a personal favorite of mine: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1392804

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wanna lose 5-10 pounds quickly?

Do a cleansing diet. Visit a Whole Foods or something. Find a product that puts a lot of natural herbs stuff in you. In addition, you eat NO processed foods. Especially NO processed carbohydrate products. You boost your metabolism while purging your system, primarily your colon of garbage.

Easily 5-10 pounds in two weeks... most of it just garbage sitting in your body, as well as some fat on top.

Mar 26, 2007
New Zealand
Have a decent size breakfast consisting of decent cereal ....NOT cheerio. Try something like a whole wheat cereal/wheat biscuits/etc with banana sliced on top instead of sugar. Eating decent food like that will help curb cravings and get your metabolism started for the day.

Eat more fruit and veges if you're not eating much already. Replacing white rice with brown rice, white bread with wholegrain bread, etc, will help you cut down fat while still eating decent amounts.

Do you exercise regularly? ie: cardio and/or weights?

And keep away from McD's ... its not food, haha :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Do a cleansing diet. Visit a Whole Foods or something. Find a product that puts a lot of natural herbs stuff in you. In addition, you eat NO processed foods. Especially NO processed carbohydrate products. You boost your metabolism while purging your system, primarily your colon of garbage.

Easily 5-10 pounds in two weeks... most of it just garbage sitting in your body, as well as some fat on top.
I've always been extremely skeptical of so-called "detox" or cleansing diets. Much/most of the weight you end up losing is water weight and some fat from the fact that you aren't taking in a sufficient number of calories to sustain your body... but that has nothing to do with the cleansing nature of the diet.

Virtually everything I've read about these diets, that was not published directly by the diet places, says the body does just fine cleansing itself and there's not tons of excess crap floating around to get rid of. Changing your eating habits would be as effective as going on a week or two long cleansing diet.

However, I am interested in reading more since the academic resources I have haven't published a whole lot. Got any reading for me?

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
When you're lifting, don't just concentrate on your legs. Do a lot of core work too, if you legs don't have a strong base to go off of they're about useless. Try some hard boiled eggs throughout the day as well, full of protein and it's decently healthy compared to a lot of other stuff.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I've always been extremely skeptical of so-called "detox" or cleansing diets. Much/most of the weight you end up losing is water weight and some fat from the fact that you aren't taking in a sufficient number of calories to sustain your body... but that has nothing to do with the cleansing nature of the diet.

Virtually everything I've read about these diets, that was not published directly by the diet places, says the body does just fine cleansing itself and there's not tons of excess crap floating around to get rid of. Changing your eating habits would be as effective as going on a week or two long cleansing diet.

However, I am interested in reading more since the academic resources I have haven't published a whole lot. Got any reading for me?
I remember one of the editors in Stuff magazine did one for a week...drinking crazy nasty sounding stuff, enemas, and straining his poo. I guess he crapped out a nickel and a marble that he swallowed as a kid and lots of gristle-ey type junk. Story was that if you had a gut it would help shrink it a little by getting rid of the junk in your intestines....I'll be over here exercising and eating decent, thanks...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe I should have clarified... Got any reading of the academic variety?

As much as I think Stuff is an infallible publication, on par with peer reviewed journals... I don't buy that there's a whole lot of crap in your intestines, accumulating for 20+ years.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Maybe I should have clarified... Got any reading of the academic variety?

As much as I think Stuff is an infallible publication, on par with peer reviewed journals... I don't buy that there's a whole lot of crap in your intestines, accumulating for 20+ years.
ugh...it was just an article, man. The editor must have had some agenda, right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ugh...it was just an article, man. The editor must have had some agenda, right?
It's some editor at Stuff glancing through his poo after a consuming a bunch of diuretics. I've read a hundred anecdotes about what happens on one of these diets - the fact that it was written by a magazine editor doesn't make it more or less interesting.

What I meant was, I was looking for a scholarly take on the diets. I'm not slamming Stuff's article. I just wasn't looking for yet another anecdote on what is basically the effects of diuretics and/or enemas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm pretty sure it come from people losing weight after taking laxatives and crapping their brains out. They lose weight and think they cleaned out impacted or old matter from their GI, where they don't understand there is more in their guts than just a two day old turd. There is still all that inprocess food that a healthy person always has passing through their system.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Sure, more comes out in a hurry when you do one of these diets, but it's not any more than will eventually come out of a normal, healthy person. You just remove it all at once when you're crapping your brains out five or six times a day.

It's still going to build up again when you resume normal dietary habits. Actually, a couple of the articles I read said a really great benefit of doing this is that it simply interrupts an unhealthy eating cycle, gives you a week or so where you're actually only consuming what your body needs... so the positive effects are partly a mental interruption to an unhealthy cycle.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ride a road bike. You do 200 miles a week, and you can eat nothing but bacon by the pound and still lose weight.

There are a lot of fat and strong weightlifters. There are very few fat guys who can do serious road mileage...

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
Loosing weight "quick" while gaining muscle is not a non-trival task. The simple way is to explain that your body needs a certain amount of Calories to maintain itself. Once you go over/under that limit, based on what type of foods you eat will determine what form it gets turned into (fat/muscle). If you search for "Calorie maintenance level" that should point you in the right direction. The next step would be to determine exactly how much muscle and fat you want to change. You should think about your PRO, CARB, FAT breakdown. Most do 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat (just average breakdown) daily intake. So now the key would be to eat more meals per day (4-6) [5-6 encouraged] in smaller amounts. This will speed up your metabolism tremendously and allow your body to receive its "fuel" many times throughout the day. If you start to loose more muscle then fat you just change/adjust your PRO/CARB/FAT intake. This all applies of course only if you have taken in quality foods. Grocery shopping is best and finally avoid eating even the right type of foods at the wrong times of the day. Start off with a higher carb meal in the mourning to jump start your body and end with a slow digesting protein at night to help your body's maintenance in your sleep (ex: cottage cheese). I tried to keep this simple but it can be a difficult task. If you want to stay out of the gym I would recommend some road bike for cardio but to help build the legs/calf area hope on your DH bike if you have one and CLIMB! 1200ft-1500ft are decent climbs per day...
Mon - Climb
Tues - Road bike
Wed - Rest
Thur - Climb
Fri - Road bike
Sat/Sun - ride for fun (dj, xc, dh, road, whatever)

PS- I am not a doctor and I am only offering advice from entering the world of bodybuilding.

Good luck
-David

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

well I have been on cleansing diets a number of times...and I usually lose about 10lbs over a month...sorry no articles or anything to provide...just my own results...D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
well I have been on cleansing diets a number of times...and I usually lose about 10lbs over a month...sorry no articles or anything to provide...just my own results...D
Do you return to your normal eating habits after the diet, or do you typically stick to a health kick afterwards?

It'd be hard to test in an informal environment, I'm just wondering if you were eating such that you were sustaining a regular weight, you do one of these diets, then go back to eating the way you were... does any of that weight stay off? Or does it come back quickly?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I don't want to add muscle to my arms or chest or anything. I want to gain muscle and tone my legs for racing. I don't want to lift weights but I think what i'll do is like some of you suggested and do a little bit of lifting and more exercise. I know i'll loose the weight quickly because I train everyday for atleast 30 minutes of really hard riding to 2 hours of hard riding.
You can lift weights until you're blue in the face and you won't gain any muscle if you don't eat enough. You can work your upper body in the weight room without adding a lot of muscle. You muscles will tone and take shape, but won't get very big if you don't feed them.

I've been lifting weights for 10 years and I'd have much bigger muscles if I ate like a bodybuilder. That's not what I want though.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Do you return to your normal eating habits after the diet, or do you typically stick to a health kick afterwards?

It'd be hard to test in an informal environment, I'm just wondering if you were eating such that you were sustaining a regular weight, you do one of these diets, then go back to eating the way you were... does any of that weight stay off? Or does it come back quickly?
hmm..hard to say..I only ever went on them for the cleansing effect...losing weight was just something that came along with it....I'm a vegetarian so I already eat pretty healthy but at times I felt a bit sluggish and decided to detox....D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You can lift weights until you're blue in the face and you won't gain any muscle if you don't eat enough. You can work your upper body in the weight room without adding a lot of muscle. You muscles will tone and take shape, but won't get very big if you don't feed them.

I've been lifting weights for 10 years and I'd have much bigger muscles if I ate like a bodybuilder. That's not what I want though.

Some people just won't bulk up either. I've lifted hard over the last 5 months. I've gotten much stronger but I am the same weight I have always been. I'm sure I traded a bit of fat for muscle but no more than a few lbs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Some people just won't bulk up either. I've lifted hard over the last 5 months. I've gotten much stronger but I am the same weight I have always been. I'm sure I traded a bit of fat for muscle but no more than a few lbs.
:stupid:
At different times I've worked out hard for months and months on end. The amount of weight I'm pushing goes way up, but the amount of weight or bulk I actually put on is fairly small. It might be partly dietary since I won't actually start eating six meals a day, but - especially when I'm working out regularly - I'll eat a very solid three meals and snacks during the day.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hi dear,
for losing the weight you should try the following tips
Do exercise regularly
Running, swimming and jogging
Control your diet
Take more boiled vegetables
Don't take more cholesterol and fatty foods
Eat citric fruits
Drink fresh fruits juice
Take green tea
and use fish oil.
For gaining the muscle you should join any best gym, and eat raw foods i.e fruits, vegetables and milk instead of taking the foods supplements.
FYI, if you boil veggies, all the nutrients come out in the water. Steaming, eating them raw, or cooking them in a healthy oil like coconut oil is best.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
FYI, if you boil veggies, all the nutrients come out in the water. Steaming, eating them raw, or cooking them in a healthy oil like coconut oil is best.
I suspect the spam bot wasn't interested in your opinions on how best to cook veggies, so I banned him/her/it ;)

goonsquad08

Chimp
Apr 4, 2012
Ames, IA
Diet and nutrition is probably the most important aspect in losing weight.

If anyone's still interested in losing weight quick and gaining muscle at the same time I would suggest looking into a legitimate CrossFit gym/box in your area. I really enjoy it.

nojoke

Chimp
Jul 5, 2011
Its simple. Lift, and Eat REAL Food, not processed BS. meat, veggies, fruits, nuts......for dear god, just dont starve yourself. Nothing good comes from being calorie deficient except being miserable, and loosing muscle mass. Not a fan of diets, they dont work. Lifestyle changes are much more lucrative to me.

I do a simple strength/conditioning program called Wendler 5/3/1, based of 4 lifts. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, Benchpress.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

I mix in some Crossfit based workouts, or Rowing intervals a couple of times a week and I'm GTG. I have no issues deadlifting 475lbs, squatting 405lbs, and I'm 5'11 @ 190lbs. I stick to compound lifts like the deadlift/squat and Olympic lifts like the Snatch/Clean and Jerk.

I do all mountain rides in the summer, and DH like a mofo :)

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Stop worrying about how much you weigh and focus on getting fit.

You won't build muscle or endurance unless you eat enough. If you ride a lot you simply need a lot of calories. The key is to eat smarter: better food and control your portions.

And I know you don't want to get into the gym but unless you do some basic core exercises you will always have a gut. And it will only get worse over time. Plus, a core routine will help strengthen your lower back, meaning you will deal with longer rides better. Just riding your bike is better than nothing but it's not the best route - there are some things you just don't get enough of from riding, so you need to supplement with some other stuff.