Quantcast

Lopes on Ibis

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I feel like this is a joke. It's totally strange that the X time world champion can not get a better ride.
i think you will find that you are mistaken if you think that ibis is a crap company. a small company that is willing to work closely with lopes on custom bikes is perfect.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I've already dropped Brian a line to find out about this. I was told last week that an official announcement was due this week, but didn't see Ibis coming, that's for sure. They do make rad bikes though.

mt.reef

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
That's awesome! I am glad he didn't go with a big company like mongoose or something. Maybe I will run into him now, Ibis is located across the street from my work!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ok now we just need pictures of the new ibis 4x bike to lust over ^^
and then say "looks flexy" and "i am afraid of a carbon bike breaking while i am just riding along"

good news for ibis
i am certainly looking forward to what they will think up up for him

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
i think you will find that you are mistaken if you think that ibis is a crap company. a small company that is willing to work closely with lopes on custom bikes is perfect.
I think you misinterpreted me. I was not at all implying that Ibis was a crap company. What I meant is that I find it hard to believe that Lopes can go from riding for some of the biggest players in the industry to a relatively small company like Ibis. I think Ibis is an amazing company and has always pushed the envelope of design over the years.

If I were to guess, I would say that Lopes will have another larger co-sponsor on board.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I think you misinterpreted me. I was not at all implying that Ibis was a crap company. What I meant is that I find it hard to believe that Lopes can go from riding for some of the biggest players in the industry to a relatively small company like Ibis. I think Ibis is an amazing company and has always pushed the envelope of design over the years.

If I were to guess, I would say that Lopes will have another larger co-sponsor on board.
Lopes is 36, he is at a time in his life and bike career he wanted to finally ride bikes he loved and not worry about anything else. Lopes' frame deals are just a co-sponsor, like a set of grips. We used to laugh about all the demands GT would make and they were about #3 on his pay scale.

Between Oakley, Bell, Easton, Hayes, ODI, Sportsmobile etc...he already is making 6 figures. He is lucky to be in the position that he spent the last few months hooking up with all these bike companies, riding their bikes and being able to CHOOSE what he wanted to ride and help develop...not to mention IBIS gets a guy that races XC, DH, 4X, Slalom, Road, Cyclocross, BMX, Track, Unicycles, Beach Path, Tricycles, Recumbents, etc...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Fraser in the last line of that you wrote "got to..." instead of go to.

P.S. I just got the Orange catalog, your pictures in it are sick.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
I guess this will give us a chance to see if he has the ability to move bikes off the sales floor.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
This is the bike that lopes will be riding thrue the whole 4x season.A Ibis Mojo SL

from the pinkbike news artical:

This is what current World Cup Champion Brian Lopes had to say:

" I'm thrilled to be riding what in my opinion is the best looking and best riding bike on the market. I personally tested numerous bikes and the Ibis Mojo has won hands down as the best all-around machine. Which was the main driver for my decision, shortly followed by the the like-ability of the Ibis owners, their future products, heritage and long-term commitment and vision to make the ultimate working bikes in the market. To me it was a perfect fit."

This is what Scot Nicol from Ibis had to say:

"Ibis' collaboration with Brain Lopes is all about eyes and ears. There are a lot of riders who still don't know who or what Ibis is all about. I want them to hear what Brian has to say about the Mojo. I want them to see what Brian can do on our bikes, and once and for all end any speculation about whether or not carbon fiber is strong enough for a mountain bike. Brian's credibility and endorsement of Ibis will cause a lot of new customers to take a look at the Mojo for its functional beauty, the dw-link's plush efficiency and the durable lightweight performance of the Mojo's monocoque carbon fiber frame."

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Lopes is 36, he is at a time in his life and bike career he wanted to finally ride bikes he loved and not worry about anything else. Lopes' frame deals are just a co-sponsor, like a set of grips. We used to laugh about all the demands GT would make and they were about #3 on his pay scale.

Between Oakley, Bell, Easton, Hayes, ODI, Sportsmobile etc...he already is making 6 figures. He is lucky to be in the position that he spent the last few months hooking up with all these bike companies, riding their bikes and being able to CHOOSE what he wanted to ride and help develop...not to mention IBIS gets a guy that races XC, DH, 4X, Slalom, Road, Cyclocross, BMX, Track, Unicycles, Beach Path, Tricycles, Recumbents, etc...
So... what's it take to be Brian's PR web-forum rep? :thumb: :wave: ;)

It sounds like a good match for both Ibis and Lopes.

I have fond memories of drool-worth castellano-designed Ibis' in the mid-90s. I still remember the day I saw a red Szazbo at a shop for the first time. It was one of those bikes you only ever expected to see in the magazines, but to see it at one of the local shops was something else!

Speaking of which... I've yet to see one of their new bikes around... I guess they're still quite new.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Well... in the "no more DW link Sunday next year" thread, I jokingly speculated that IBIS would be the new DW Link DH bike for next year.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not really as dumb as I look. I can just see BL rocking the proto Ibis at Whistler this year.

Or, maybe I really am just a little on the stoopid side.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Well... in the "no more DW link Sunday next year" thread, I jokingly speculated that IBIS would be the new DW Link DH bike for next year.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not really as dumb as I look. I can just see BL rocking the proto Ibis at Whistler this year.

Or, maybe I really am just a little on the stoopid side.

Ibis has had dw link for a while now, it's new with 2008. I saw one of their newer mojos ridden at the last parkfield classic. It was getting beat on pretty hard and held up fine. Seemed like a fun bike.