Quantcast

Lopes on Ibis

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
. . . he has rode for Pacific . . .
Jesus, that's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

In any event, congrats to Ibis and Lopes . . . and also to someone no one's mentioned so far in this thread, Weagle. If BL really liked the bike that much, it's pretty obvious that Dave's suspension was a big part of that.

--JP

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Jesus, that's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

In any event, congrats to Ibis and Lopes . . . and also to someone no one's mentioned so far in this thread, Weagle. If BL really liked the bike that much, it's pretty obvious that Dave's suspension was a big part of that.

--JP
You're right but come on on this board we worship dave enough as is ^^

so at the moment let us all just be happy for ibis und lopes :)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
i wonder if ibis is going to make a non-carbon bike at some point, maybe a signature lopes hardtail, something a little more suited to 4x?
As Scot Nicol was quoted in the press release as bringing BL on to help ease people's concerns w/ carbon I'd say you're SOL.

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
Lopes is the man for taking his drop from GT in stride and coming out on top.
...and instead of offering himself up on the open market for the best money deal he went out and tryed a ton of different bikes and let that direct him in the direction he wanted to go.

I just respect that so much from a guy who could pretty much have his way all around.

In light of this I still am and allways will be confused by his Hayes sponsorship?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
No, it wasn't official as neither Brian or Ibis had confirmed yet.
Well, that settles it, it cant have been 'official' and Cole must be some hack who merely peddles rumors.

Maybe his quote should have been I've just heard a rumor that current world Four-Cross champion Brian Lopes, who unceremoniously parted company with GT at the end of the 2007 season, has signed with Ibis Cycles.

His inclusion of the word "announced" must surely be considered as a reckless disregard of the truth.

:biggrin:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, that settles it, it cant have been 'official' and Cole must be some hack who merely peddles rumors.

Maybe his quote should have been I've just heard a rumor that current world Four-Cross champion Brian Lopes, who unceremoniously parted company with GT at the end of the 2007 season, has signed with Ibis Cycles.

His inclusion of the word "announced" must surely be considered as a reckless disregard of the truth.

:biggrin:
Funny, but according to both Lopes and parties involved, it was not official until the announcement was sent out later in the day. I spoke with Lopes and the person writing the press release before it was sent out, and both confirmed that it was not yet public knowledge. :disgust1:

There is this small thing called verifying facts and checking sources. It comes along with a journalism degree.

But hey, feel free to argue ridiculous points all you'd like. :rolleyes:

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
Funny, but according to both Lopes and parties involved, it was not official until the announcement was sent out later in the day. I spoke with Lopes and the person writing the press release before it was sent out, and both confirmed that it was not yet public knowledge. :disgust1:

There is this small thing called verifying facts and checking sources. It comes along with a journalism degree.

I have 3 degrees and i say it was official when it came out on PINNEDMTB.com

#1 site for DH news in the universe

end of story

also

im stoked for lopes and ibis!
cant wait to see what they can come up with together

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

Not arguing, just bored at work and as you say funny

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Funny, but according to both Lopes and parties involved, it was not official until the announcement was sent out later in the day.
hey6 did you hear, and see, that Angelina Jolie is pregnant? She hasnt' said its true though, so despite the obvious signs, its not official.

Sounds more like sour grapes at getting scooped, which is understandable.

IBIS and lopes...meh, whatever works.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Can someone tell me how to make this my sig?
You use that and I want to use this
"There is this small thing called verifying facts and checking sources. It comes along with a journalism degree." with Fraiser's approval!:lighten:
Here is the mojo mentioned earlier....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
troublemaker!
Just a little bit.

I'm serious though. There's a lot of praise for those things in this thread and due to our 'location,' it seems it's coming from downhillers.

I just want to know if the people praising them have actually ridden them. Because they have some traits that would really stand out to most downhillers on a true test ride.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Just a little bit.

I'm serious though. There's a lot of praise for those things in this thread and due to our 'location,' it seems it's coming from downhillers.

I just want to know if the people praising them have actually ridden them. Because they have some traits that would really stand out to most downhillers on a true test ride.
Have you ridden one? If so, what did you think of it? And are the traits that would "really stand out to most downhillers" good or bad things?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have you ridden one?
Yup

I can bend one of those frames to about 90 degrees in corners. They are quite honestly one of flexiest frames I've ever ridden. The suspension works well, as you'd expect but I personally don't think they've made a bike for aggressive riding yet.

Which is why it seems odd to me that a few downhillers would defend ibis as a reasonable move for lopes. Obviously no one knows what they've got in store for future projects but lopes is far from the type of rider that current frames from them seem to target, and constitute the basis for some of the praise here.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yup

I can bend one of those frames to about 90 degrees in corners. They are quite honestly one of flexiest frames I've ever ridden. The suspension works well, as you'd expect but I personally don't think they've made a bike for aggressive riding yet.

Which is why it seems odd to me that a few downhillers would defend ibis as a reasonable move for lopes. Obviously no one knows what they've got in store for future projects but lopes is far from the type of rider that current frames from them seem to target, and constitute the basis for some of the praise here.
thats interesting actually, makes me wonder what ibis has got in store for BL - theres no way the guys just randomly gonna sacrifice his career for some random company, so he must have thought ibis had SOMETHING worth offering.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Yup

lopes also weighs about a buck twenty soaking wet.

Kyle,

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'll add to that. They have one of the worst quality builds too- I know the 'test' bike we had for a magazine was flogged (bushings and pivot play) within weeks of a month long test. That was in '07, so I hope they've improved.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I completely agree, that's why I posted that he wasn't a small guy. When it comes to pure power, Lopes is a friggin' freight train.
So.....since your the man with the contacts do you know why Ibis wanted Lopes? Are they looking to expand into various areas of cycling from the all mountain category? Maybe cross, track, mtx, dh? The guy can do it all and would be a good person to have on board if you were looking to really expand your line up, or is it more of a move for promotion?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So.....since your the man with the contacts do you know why Ibis wanted Lopes? Are they looking to expand into various areas of cycling from the all mountain category? Maybe cross, track, mtx, dh? The guy can do it all and would be a good person to have on board if you were looking to really expand your line up, or is it more of a move for promotion?
Read the press release. Scott Nicol touched on exactly what you are asking.

Ibis' collaboration with Brian Lopes is all about eyes and ears. There are a lot of riders who still don't know who or what Ibis is all about. I want them to hear what Brian has to say about the Mojo. I want them to see what Brian can do on our bikes, and once and for all end any speculation about whether or not carbon fiber is strong enough for a mountain bike. Brian's credibility and endorsement of Ibis will cause a lot of new customers to take a look at the Mojo for its functional beauty, the dw-link's plush efficiency and the durable lightweight performance of the Mojo's monocoque carbon fiber frame." Ibis' Scot Nicol

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Read the press release. Scott Nicol touched on exactly what you are asking.
Yeah, I read that....I was wondering more about the possible expansion of their bike line. I think its a good move for Ibis any way you look at it.