Quantcast

"lord save us from obama care"

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's surprising. Why is it that exepsive there? It's not an isolated country. Is income disparity in Brasil the same as in Russia?
In Central America most of the time its because of huge import taxes. Probably at least part of the problem in Brazil too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In Central America most of the time its because of huge import taxes. Probably at least part of the problem in Brazil too.
Even if the tax is 30% that would not explain the price. Polish VAT is 23% plus a high import tax and it is much more expensive than here.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Actually for cars you can expect to pay around double or MORE in some countries and used cars hold a lot of their value too...

When you bring a car to Costa Rica by any means, driving, shipping it, etc. you are charged import duties. HUGE import duties. The import duty on a used car here runs from 45% to 70% of THE RETAIL VALUE of that car! That is NOT the Blue book, Black book or any other color book. It is the "Costa Rica book", and it is not cheap. To be clear, that is BOOK price, NOT the price you paid for it in your home country.

On a $20,000 used car, that's from $10,000 to $14,000 in duties depending on the age of the car!. Newer cars actually have MORE duty and older cars have less... older meaning maybe ten years old. Also, just to be clear... if you own it (it is titled), it is a used car.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
yeah, import tariffs are ridiculous in brazil.

and surpringly enough, the corolla is actually manufactured in brazil. is a brazilian made car, which sells for $40k (and in peru, the same brazilian-made corolla sells for $20k). how is this possible? i have no clue... maybe they have 2 exchange rates or something.. (the 2 exchange rates scheme is very common among left-leaning regimes.)

sao paulo cabs are more expensive than in new york...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576544722103262938.html

weird thing is happening in some parts of south america... i just got offered a mech engineering job in caterpillar of peru, where the salary is almost as much a mech engineer salary in the US, but with twice the vacations......
my sister bought a summer home in miami beach, for less money than a summer home in lima´s posh summer place.... (and lima beaches compared to florida beaches are terrible).

i remember 10 years ago, when i was going to college in the US, my tuition seemed sky high, compared to peruvian salaries... now, with the dollar loosing up to 30% of its value of the last few years, and the peruvian per capita doubling in 10 years, not so much...

the US is definately not what it used to be, at this rate, it will likely become a second-rate economy to the asians, in the next 3 or 4 decades.....

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yeah, import tariffs are ridiculous in brazil.

and surpringly enough, the corolla is actually manufactured in brazil. is a brazilian made car, which sells for $40k (and in peru, the same brazilian-made corolla sells for $20k). how is this possible? i have no clue... maybe they have 2 exchange rates or something.. (the 2 exchange rates scheme is very common among left-leaning regimes.)

sao paulo cabs are more expensive than in new york...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576544722103262938.html

weird thing is happening in some parts of south america... i just got offered a mech engineering job in caterpillar of peru, where the salary is almost as much a mech engineer salary in the US, but with twice the vacations......
my sister bought a summer home in miami beach, for less money than a summer home in lima´s posh summer place....

i remember 10 years ago, when i was going to college in the US, my tuition seemed sky high, compared to peruvian salaries... now, with the dollar loosing up to 30% of its value of the last few years, and the peruvian per capita doubling in 10 years, not so much...

the US is definately not what it used to be, at this rate, it will likely become a second-rate economy to the asians, in the next 3 or 4 decades.....
You make Peru sound like a great prace to live. Build some nice dh tracks and I'm ready to revolutionize your movie market ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There are Polish people who think that? Were they born downwind of Chernobyl or something?
I was exaggerating ;) They would rather live anywhere in the US. I just used Detroit because none of the morons has any idea there are differances between US cities. Most of them would probably end up as a part of the Polish community in Chicago anyway.

well, not really; but thats one way to see it.
actually, my point is the US is on the express to the bottom of the G7....:D
Well if the salaries are close to us it is much better than in Poland. An avg. eng. pay is 2000$/Month here. If you have some people under you you might get 4k. 8k$ is very much.