Quantcast

Lose fat -and- gain muscle?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
since my last post and y'alls advice. I've added light weights, crunches and pushups. This morning I started jogging again.

My primary goal is to lose fat. I'm trying to watch what I eat and drink, but I know I'm just never going to get it 100% under control. And if control means no more beer, then screw it anyway.

Is there any reason why I should NOT lift weights while trying to lose fat?

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I'm with ya on the beer! I heard something a long long time ago, and when you follow it it is a realy good thing..."Eat like a king in the morning, a prince in the afternoon and a pauper in the evening." Its always worked for me! Good luck man!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Stronger muscles will burn more fat. Lifting weights will make your muscles stronger. Just make sure you don't let your cardio work slide.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I don't want to sound like Richard Simmons, here........

......but ride your bike a lot, do your pushups and situps, lay off the sugar, eat your veggies and protien and you'll drop it like it's hot.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Greyhound said:

......but ride your bike a lot, do your pushups and situps, lay off the sugar, eat your veggies and protien and you'll drop it like it's hot.
That will help him lose weight no doubt, but it will not help him add muscle. To add muscle, you HAVE to lift weights. There is no way around it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Greyhound said:

Worked for me. I weighed 195 last November. I weigh 165 now. I was pretty poor this summer though. I was going through the week with $40 for food for 3 months. Good thing about that is it trained me not to eat so much. Even though I can afford more for food now I am used to not eating much. Also Beer is good, but if you don't drink much it is easier to keep that weight off. That and I feel better and thats cool too! ......jdcamb

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Since I started lifting I have lost a total of about 35 lbs and gained alot of muscle mass. I still have a bit of a gut though, but most of my pants are almost too loose to wear.

I am hovering around 215-220ish currently, and just about ready to hit the cardio heavily to shed the last bit of the fat.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
Just make sure you don't let your cardio work slide.
that won't happen :) i love road biking so much that y'all might kick me off this site :devil:

Tenchiro said:
Since I started lifting I have lost a total of about 35 lbs...
that's awesome.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Thanks, but I should add that I cut out as much corn syrup as possible and stick to diet sodas and sugar free/natural sugar products as much as possible. I do very little cardio, just 10 minutes before I lift to get my blood moving. I do stuff like get the small sammich at Quizno's w/o chips, or a Chicken Whopper w/o fries. I try to avoid the vending machines too. I stick to whole grain breads, and unprocessed lunch meats.

I still don't eat enough fruits or veggies, but I am working on that. I think I am also going to try to endure more time on the hated cardio machines, but that has yet to be seen.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Tenchiro said:
Thanks, but I should add that I cut out as much corn syrup as possible and stick to diet sodas and sugar free/natural sugar products as much as possible. I do very little cardio, just 10 minutes before I lift to get my blood moving. I do stuff like get the small sammich at Quizno's w/o chips, or a Chicken Whopper w/o fries. I try to avoid the vending machines too. I stick to whole grain breads, and unprocessed lunch meats.

I still don't eat enough fruits or veggies, but I am working on that. I think I am also going to try to endure more time on the hated cardio machines, but that has yet to be seen.
Sounds like you're on the right track already.....those green veggies really put a jumpstart to the metabolism and tell your body that "Hey.......we're a kick-ass, calorie-burning machine" There's sooooo many approaches and theories towards acheiving what it is you're doing---some say,"Lose the weight first, then build up the muscle...." others may advocate that both can be done at the same time. It's whatever makes you the most comfortable, and what fits into your lifestyle.....

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Greyhound said:
Sounds like you're on the right track already.....those green veggies really put a jumpstart to the metabolism and tell your body that "Hey.......we're a kick-ass, calorie-burning machine" There's sooooo many approaches and theories towards acheiving what it is you're doing---some say,"Lose the weight first, then build up the muscle...." others may advocate that both can be done at the same time. It's whatever makes you the most comfortable, and what fits into your lifestyle.....
I read that muscle prefers fat as it's primary fuel, that is why I started lifting right away. That is why some body builders gain a ton of weight then burn off the fat to build up muscle. It worked really well for me too, I have alot more definition and alot less fat. I just need to kick the last few pounds of flab.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If you operate at a net caloric deficit, you burn fat. Stressing muscles makes them bigger/stronger. Once you body stops develping, you have all the muscle and fat cells that you will ever have. It is just a matter of them growing larger or smaller.
As far as fuel goes, the only fuel that you muscles can burn is called Glucogen (sp?). It is a simple sugar very close to Glucose. Glucose is a carbohydrate. This is why energy fuels have so many carbs in them. I took a nutrition class at school and it was very interesting. One of the main (downer) points of the class is that it is very hard for people to lose weight. For most of history, humans have lived on the edge of starvation. Because of that, or bodies have adapted to want to hang on to as much fuel as possible. Why we have fat. One of the things that the professor said was that excercise and diet at the same time can slow your metabolism. I think that is BS. Also, you burn 70-80% of total calories just staying alive. Normal = 70, elite athlets are 80. That number fluctuates very little. So I am not sure how much it matters when you eat. But it does make sense that food will get turned to fat faster if you are inactive.