Quantcast

Lost My Link Info for Rigid Fork Suppliers

Old_Dude

Monkey
I forgot where to find these things - I remember the Surly link, but I know there's at least one or two others who sell a ~80mm compensated rigid fork for 1 1/8 threadless head tubes. Kona?

BTW - my decision on going with a rigid front fork are numerous, not limited to the following:

• I can loose 2+ pounds
  • My current fork sucks (Judy TT - gimmie a break)
  • Simpler
  • Cheaper
  • Should climb better
  • I find myself riding more & more on the streets & fire roads with this bike (currently & for a while, it'll be my only bike)
  • Rigid forks are just cool
  • I don't ride that fast anyway downhill

Last month I met this hard-core SS-er and he killed some of my misconceptions/concerns about rigid forks (like I'm gonna flip over the bars if I use one, & blah, blah, blah). This guy uses his SS MTB all the time & says he hardly ever uses his geared bikes - even in races. He also uses a SS road bike & last year rode it on several 100+ milers. It's true, he lives in flat-Texas, but a lot of what he said about SS-ing is very true. Not better in every respect, certainly, but I'll always have a certain respect & even envy of our fellow SS-ers.

He's about 30 and he said during high school he was really overweight. Today, he's in excellent physical condition - the way we all want to be. He rides on a frequent basis & truly is an asset to our sport - helping others getting involved, riding responsibly and just being enthusiastic & willing to share his experiences and love of the sport with anyone.

I love meeting people like that - he was the 2nd in the last 3 months.

Gee, I started rambling again - sorry. :o:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
www.on-one.co.uk

on-one has one, that i'm running, and i love it. fairly cheap and can fit a 2.5 Maxxis High Roller just fine. also, Vanilla cycles makes a sweeeeeeeet-ass one if you're willing to drop some $$, along with Vicious.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I saw something in Bicycling magazine (?) which indicated (most?) crashes involved going over the bars.

From a physics point of view, I was told a rigid fork is really better to help prevent OTB crashes because when a non-rigid front fork compresses, the geometry of the bike/rider becomes much more unstable when riding over/into an obstacle compared to riding the same situation with a rigid fork.

Does anyone have any valid opinions about this or even better, are there any published documents substantiating a claim either way?

Thanks,

OD

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
My advise is to stop reading magazines.

Lowering the front end by 80mm doesn't make the bike unrideable and isn't going to throw you over the bars.

I would question if the person who wrote it actually rides bikes.

I would say that going over the bars would be more a case of rider experiance and technique insted of a one or two degree change in head tube angle and a few inches lower handlebars.

If there was that little in it you would endo for a distance before going over the bars where in most OTB accidents I think it's going to take a lot more to save you than an uncompressed fork.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Old_Dude
day spensiv?

look like day veri-spensiv.

if'n days a I-F stika on it you betta believe days sho nuff gonna be spen-siv.

purdy, tho.

but too dam spen-siv fa me.
yeah they ain't cheap

Old_Dude

Monkey
I just ordered this fork

with the Avid mechanical & Straight Jacket cables (I guess I can use the back cable when I toss on a disc out back).

Hope it works out.

Even with the heavier disc brake, this'll loose more than 2 pounds on the bike.

Who needs that stupid oingo-boingo crap going on up there anyway!

Old_Dude

Monkey
They just e-mailed me back & said they're out of stock & they're not sure when they'll be able to get another fork.

:mad:

So, now, I've gotta search around again for a Dimension disc only 1 1/8 fork.

Who's Dimension? I can't find them on the internet.

Old_Dude

Monkey
They're selling for ~$35 on eBay & then when you add the $15 for shipping . . . a new one costs $50 plus $6 for shipping and shipping is essentially free if you've gotta get a brake, cables & other crap, er, I mean cool stuff.

I dunno - when the difference is so small, I prefer new stuff from a reliable source so I'm looking again for another source for this fork, brake, cable & tubes . . .

Then I start thinking, should I go to discs again or not . . . they sure are nice when the rims get wet . . . hmmmm . . . I've found decent, rigid non-disc forks for $25 all over the place . . . hmmmm . . . what would you do?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by skinny
I apologize for being a thread thief, but does anyone have any feedback for the PX rigid forks?
The planetx forks are heavy and proberly strong.

My one has a warped disk mount.

The stickers on mine looked stupid and where very hard to get off due to the thick clear coat.

Other than that they are a ok rigid fork

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by D_D
My advise is to stop reading magazines.

Lowering the front end by 80mm doesn't make the bike unrideable and isn't going to throw you over the bars.

I would question if the person who wrote it actually rides bikes.

I would say that going over the bars would be more a case of rider experiance and technique insted of a one or two degree change in head tube angle and a few inches lower handlebars.

If there was that little in it you would endo for a distance before going over the bars where in most OTB accidents I think it's going to take a lot more to save you than an uncompressed fork.
I assumed that the point the magazine was trying to make was that as the fork compresses it moves the riders weight forward which would make an OTB accident slightly more likely.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Hey all,

THis thread reminded me that I have been wondering about the existence of a particular rigid fork setup: 1 1/8" cro-mo with disc and/or canti mount to fit 20mm hub. Oh yeah, if it has canti mounts, I would want them to work with a 24" wheel. I have seen an aluminum fork for 20mm aimed at trials somewhere, but I want steel if anything. Anybody seen anything like this???

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by skinny
Did it come warped, or did you somehow manage to warp it? I'm assuming the former.
It came warped. It's still possible to fit a caliper to it just takes a lot of messing about.