Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
do you buy them?

edit - i never do. have maybe bought 5 tickets in my lifetime.

edit edit - doh, should read "weekly" rather than "yearly" for the 1st option

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Once in a while - maybe every 3 weeks or something. I only get one set of numbers (quick pick), though. Usually when I'm buying a bunch of other crap at the corner store...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
You're not very good at math are you?
Apparently better than you are...

Odds are far less than you stated of 1:1 billion

Actual odds of winning the jackpot are 1:146,107,962.

But the chances of winning any prize, from $3 to $340 million, are 1 in 36.61.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So how are your odds of winning something 100% better than mine? At best, your odds of winning $3.00 are about 3% better than mine.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've played maybe 3 scratchers in my whole life, because someone gave them to me.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
SkaredShtles said:
You're not very good at math either, are you? :p
rephrase: the odds of me winning compared to the odds of you winning is infinitely better

odds of me winning - 1:some number
odds of you winning - 0:some number
1/0 = infinity :p :rolleyes:

I at least have odds - its impossible for you to win

But yeah, Tenchiro said it about right...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
SkaredShtles said:
Here is another view:

Your chances of *finding* the winning lottery ticket are basically as good as *buying* the winning lotto ticket. :p
Provide a source. :D

By that reasoning, the chances of a garbage man or a homeless guy are better... :think: ....you're onto something!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hope there is no winner tonite because after I got done riding, I blew off getting a ticket...

I'm shooting to win the 'big one' on Sat!

:dancing:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
N8 said:
I hope there is no winner tonite because after I got done riding, I blew off getting a ticket...

I'm shooting to win the 'big one' on Sat!

:dancing:
yeah you probably would have one big???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I fall somewhere in between, probably once every 4-6 months, and only when there's a really big pot - 100+ million. I get a small amusement out of knowing I could win and checking the numbers when they come up, it's worth a buck to me.

I agree somewhat with the old addage that the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math, but if you show restraint and only play it occasionally, and are realistic about your odds of winning, it's pretty cheap, harmless fun. There are many worse things you could spend a buck on.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
I fall somewhere in between, probably once every 4-6 months, and only when there's a really big pot - 100+ million. I get a small amusement out of knowing I could win and checking the numbers when they come up, it's worth a buck to me.

I agree somewhat with the old addage that the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math, but if you show restraint and only play it occasionally, and are realistic about your odds of winning, it's pretty cheap, harmless fun. There are many worse things you could spend a buck on.
Well, at least it amuses you.

Me - I look at it as lottery ticket... or a bottle of Titan IPA? I *know* which one is going to bring me more satisfaction. :D