Quantcast

Loud Hubs anyone?

Oct 14, 2007
That works fine.
probably a noob Q, but the points of engagement are totaled by taking the # of grooves on the inside of the hub and multiplying by two(the two teeth on each pawl) right? thats how i got 108...

I thought we went over that...its simply the # of clicks you can feel when rotating the body 360...that # lets say 72 will tell u basically the angle of each engagement...which is basically the quotient of both...in this case the angle would be 5 degrees...if i'm not mistaken that is

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
probably a noob Q, but the points of engagement are totaled by taking the # of grooves on the inside of the hub and multiplying by two(the two teeth on each pawl) right? thats how i got 108...
it goes by the angle offset on the pawls and the number of ratchet/pawl slots in your hub body.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I'll occasionally notice the sound of my I9's in the air. They're moderately loud, started silent but broke in a little.

As mentioned before it's the number of clicks, has nothing to do with pawls. I9's have 60 grooves/slots in the hub body and 6 pawls, in sets of 3 offset by I'm going to guess 3 degrees, hence allowing 120 pts of engagement. There was a real neat picture of a chrisking cut open from interbike and you could see its locking mechanism. Its the equivalent of having 1 pawl for every slot, yet is rated to only 50 ft/lbs of torque more than an I9.

Oct 14, 2007
I'll occasionally notice the sound of my I9's in the air. They're moderately loud, started silent but broke in a little.

As mentioned before it's the number of clicks, has nothing to do with pawls. I9's have 60 grooves/slots in the hub body and 6 pawls, in sets of 3 offset by I'm going to guess 3 degrees, hence allowing 120 pts of engagement. There was a real neat picture of a chrisking cut open from interbike and you could see its locking mechanism. Its the equivalent of having 1 pawl for every slot, yet is rated to only 50 ft/lbs of torque more than an I9.
wait up...how do you get to 120...