Quantcast

Loud Hubs anyone?

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Does anyone know of companies that make loud hubs besides chris king? mountain biking has already cost me an arm and two legs, and i dont want to give up my last on on a hub. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

if youre looking for a new hub, those are relatively hard to find cheap...
but you can get a good used Hadley for pretty cheap... thats what i did. while they arent "look at me" loud, they are pretty audible and click twice as fast as Kings because they have 108pt. engagement... super quick reaction
i guess theyre decently loud, they are just kinda high pitched so it doesnt seem like it...

and theyre a cinch to rebuild or just re-lube...
sick, good, and convenient hubs in my opinion...

I-9's are the loudest i hear on here but i have no experience with these...

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
thanks, but i thought the kings had something like 129 pt engagement? oh well. whatever. thanks. if anybody else knows of any loud clicky hubs, please let me know. thanks

all the kings i've seen just have 78pt....

but then again, i dont look at anything over $200:busted:

i'm a cheap a$$... but i guess i'm kinda broke all the time too...
(praises Sully for the like $2k worth of parts for a few hundred...)

**edit**
i was just checking out Kings website and their hubs have 72 point engagement...
the thing is that they can take 800ft.lbs. of tourqe to the engagement points because they have more material backing up each tooth because there is less of them...
now i've snapped a few chains off the line, but 800ft.lbs.? talk about Mr.Universe and beyond!

i've read a review on Hadleys somewhere a bunch of times and then when i had to take apart my hub, i counted all 108...
i love mine

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Loud hubs are for 12 year olds. If you are 12, disassemble your current hub and replace the grease around the pawls with tri-flow mixed 50/50 with Phil's Tenacious Oil.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
hope II pro are probably the loudest hubs i've ever heard and are pretty cheap.

if you want to sound like a small airplane, and are riding somewhere like SB where you're expected to have a bell but don't want one, then go for it. Keep in mind they're kinda annoying for everybody else though. that said, remove some of the greese from the pawls and it should be pretty loud no matter what hub you're on.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
My Atomlab aircorp hub is pretty darn loud. I started counting how many engagement points and gave up pretty quick there were so many...at least 70 some.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I would shy away from purchasing a hub based on noise level. You might want to look at such attributes like strength, durability and ease of maintenance. That said, most of the nicest hubs are the loudest...and most expensive. Do you know what hub size and spoke count you need?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I would shy away from purchasing a hub based on noise level. You might want to look at such attributes like strength, durability and ease of maintenance. That said, most of the nicest hubs are the loudest...and most expensive. Do you know what hub size and spoke count you need?
I think the real quesiton before that is; What type of riding? On my park bike I don't care if it's nice, I just wanted one that would make some noise. On a DH bike, engagement points are only important if you're a serious racer. How many times have you been at a race and someone said, "My hub wasn't engaging fast enough so I lost a few seconds"?

But on that note, My Hadley hub is so freaking annoying, get one of those.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
my I9s arent loud at all about twice as quiet as my ringle, but there is alot of clicks. loudest i have heard was a rinlge

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my old star ratchet dt/hugi hub is the loudest thing i've heard (the newer ones have less aggressive ratchet ramps so are quieter). its knarley. ~8yrs old & still running strong.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
personally, this is my loud hub list, in order of loudest to not as loud

also, while i wouldnt do it with I9s or Kings, when you remove a bit of the grease from the hope proII you will have a very loud, but not ghetto "clicky" hub

I9
King
Hope
Hadley
anything else

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you can also change how loud they are. my 108pt hadleys. are super quiet. matters what oil/lube is used in the hub.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I had some DT Hugis that were pretty loud. This has its advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage is when I was riding over to the lift line in Whistler in no hurry and got stuck behind to girls that looked really nice from behind. I was perfectly content to just go slow and watch but they stepped off to the side to let me pass because my hub sounded like a dump truck jake braking.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
why do you care how loud your hub is? just ride what you have since you said you dont have money to buy a nice hub.

Oct 14, 2007
for pts of engagement on dt hubs...how would you count it exactly...woud it just be the number of engagement you can feel when you turn the hub body 360 degrees

or do you multiply that number by the # of pawls?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my pro 2 is stupid loud, almost to the point where i want to put some grease in there to tone it down and make it sound a little smoother. i9s aren't all that loud, they just have a very distinct sound, it's almost like they don't have any engagement points because there are so many they just kind of blur together, haha.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
God I didn't want to get in on this Pinkbike Post, but one of the guys mentioned WHERE you ride...
Fawk. My new DH/Trail bike took a 150mm rear, so my Hadley/MTX setup went into my street/DJ bike.... THAT ****ING SUCKS. Can't be all street-ninja like and poaching wallrides, ledges, whatever cuz I get busted just runnin up to it. Seriously, I ride alone now cuz my buds all got pissed. Noisy biatch. Don't buy a hub BECAUSE it's loud.
It turned out OK though, cuz I found I like riding street alone, and now my time in the trees is SOOO much more zen-like... all I can here is the sprinkle of dirt flinging off into the leaves...

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Boy that pinkbike post sure fits in with your response. Atomlabs are loud, Ringles from what i understand are not the best but they sure do sound good ya!:disgust1:

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
I'm still a sucker for a nice loud hub! Currently on a Hadley which is the finest hub mechanically speaking I have riden yet but has nothing on my old DT Swiss Hugi for pure noise.

Talk about head turningly obnoxious loud! DT Swiss Hugi all the way! (if you can find one)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
what makes a hub "eneven" some peoples hubs i have heard have a bzzzbzzzzbzzzbzzz(milisecond pause) instead of a constant zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. not me but always wondered why

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
from what i remember king has 72 points not 78. also hadley use to have 108 and are now on 72 as well. the hope ss hub has 48 but the regular mountain only has 24.

i'm a big fan of hopes at the moment as they are a good price and perform very well. also the hub set is even a little lighter than king.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
once i do a re-lube, thats how mine is as well... but ususally only for a short amount of time...
i just use blue watercraft grease with a pretty high lithium content... works well imo
nope. stays quiet forever. till i open it up and clean it again. its just the correct amount of Hadley grease/lube. always theirs. the hub and pawls will last longer.