Quantcast

Louisville, Kentucky DH Race

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
KMBA would like to invite the public to attend the 4th annual Duffield Derby on Sunday, June 13 at Fort Duffield Park in West Point. The Duffield Derby features a series of timed mountain bike races, including Cross Country competitions and the state’s only Downhill event against the backdrop of a historical civil war fort. This Kentucky Mountain Bike Association competition is part of a points series for the Kentucky State Championship.

Last year’s race brought nearly 60 entrants, and this year’s event is expected to be larger.
The downhill race is on a trail made up of obstacles such as jumps, rock gardens, drop-offs and a run through the limestone bed of a cascading creek. The cross country competition will be endurance tests of varying lengths through winding trails. Entry is $20, of which 50% goes into the purse for placed entrants. Sponsors Jeffersonville Cyclery and KHS bicycles will also provide prizes.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
The massive size of my nuts has nothing to do with the race date;) , This race is part of a points series that includes a race the week end before and after. Sorry you can't make it, we'll have another.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
man.....I might have to get ill on the 13th. How long is the course? Is there camping at/near the race site? Do yall have many women racers in L-ville or the area? (not trying to get a date....my fiancee might race... :p )

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
course times last year averaged 3:15

There will probably be about 5 women racers, maybee more and we could always use more.

There is camping near by at Otter Creek, which has approx. 20 miles of trails. Also, from time to time there is camping alowed at Ft. Duffield, we would need to check with them first. The park is owned by a small town and is run by a bunch of cival war bufs. But they love mountain bikers and they even shuttle us from time to time. They boast having visitors from over 35 states and all provinces of Canada. After an article in Bike magazine about the Fort, visiors increased. Its a cool park, but don't expect Windrock for the DH trail. Its a cool trail with some big jumps a few drops and a rock garden. But you should know that elevation is about 300 ft. So its not huge, just fun.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by tgaines72
course times last year averaged 3:15

There will probably be about 5 women racers, maybee more and we could always use more.

There is camping near by at Otter Creek, which has approx. 20 miles of trails. Also, from time to time there is camping alowed at Ft. Duffield, we would need to check with them first. The park is owned by a small town and is run by a bunch of cival war bufs. But they love mountain bikers and they even shuttle us from time to time. They boast having visitors from over 35 states and all provinces of Canada. After an article in Bike magazine about the Fort, visiors increased. Its a cool park, but don't expect Windrock for the DH trail. Its a cool trail with some big jumps a few drops and a rock garden. But you should know that elevation is about 300 ft. So its not huge, just fun.
If I had to choose huge over fun....it would deffinetly be fun. :)

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Is this place open all of the time? I'll be up there over Labor Day weekend for the NBL Grands. I'd love to cut out of The Largest Group of Floridians Outside of Captivity, and do some DHing.:p

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Originally posted by Peete
Is this place open all of the time? I'll be up there over Labor Day weekend for the NBL Grands. I'd love to cut out of The Largest Group of Floridians Outside of Captivity, and do some DHing.:p

Yup! Just shoot me a email or pm when your headin up.Be glad to play tour guide.

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
New sections built up by tp area, look by the old powerlines. I'm headed up there now to do some runs. I run the shuttling up at duff so let me know if u guys want a big group sesh on the weekend.

woolin

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
going out tomorrow after work about 5 and plan on doing runs sunday after the xc race

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
2014 Duffield Derby is on the schedule for June 21st and 22nd. For those of you not headed out west to Gravity Nationals come have some fun in Kentucky racing Super-D and XC for the weekend! Course video for the Super-D should be available next week if the rain holds out this weekend and I will post it up here as well as the Facebook event page. $50 cash bonus for the top overall finisher on the weekend for Super-D and XC combined. https://www.facebook.com/duffieldderbymtb