Quantcast

Lourdes--18d : 22h : 34m

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
On a related note, I feel like Gwin has been getting A TON of interview coverage this offseason, almost more so than in prior years (unless I just haven't been paying attention). He's sounding super, super confident in all of those conversations...and we all know god is on his side :)

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
On a related note, I feel like Gwin has been getting A TON of interview coverage this offseason, almost more so than in prior years (unless I just haven't been paying attention). He's sounding super, super confident in all of those conversations...and we all know god is on his side :)
well all know jesus is a gwin fan, but god strikes me more of a hill fan.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Peaty had some late wins in him, here's hoping for the same for Hill! For Christ sakes, someone give the guy a D3 tho

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sam Hill testing the new bike in San Remo - we're stoked with the confirmation that he plans to race select World Cups as well!
Probably doesn't mean much but Hill has been looking just plain stoked to be out riding his bike in the EWS coverage this year. Hopefully he hits the DH with the same gusto this year.

Also - new tracks! Wheeeeeeee

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well all know jesus is a gwin fan, but god strikes me more of a hill fan.
Must make for some heated debates over supper.

I'd love to see Neko take some inspiration from the team change and start finishing more consistently.

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Youd think god would be more on "little kids getting their arms and legs blown off by cluster bombs in Syria's" side, but I guess as a surpreme being you get to decide where you focus your attention...

Sep 11, 2015
is that a 29" specific 40? or is there clearance on the 27.5" lowers?
I don't know, but if I had to guess, based on that "190" tape on the arch shot, that it's the 190mm 29er 40. There were some rumblings about that last year. I think I recall seeing a spy shot of one bolted to a Wreckoning. Strobel's bike, maybe?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
In my drunk 02:00am conditions I'd say pretty much all factory riders with size large frames will ride 29ers.
Santa Cruz, Trek, Cube, Mondraker, maybe Saracen. Not sure about Scott. And at that moment I don't think YT and Canyon will hit the train.
Like the dirt article said: For people riding "just" a medium frame, the wagon wheels might be to big to handle. But who knows...

There's definitely a Fox 49 out there.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
The fact that there seems to be a proper 29 fork for a lot of WC sponsored riders, and legit DH casing tires seem to have taken away the barriers for a big team to try out prototype frames. I think it's exciting to see.

My question is, are we going to see the increase in blowouts and rim destruction that we saw when 650b first came on?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
And they banned skinsuits because they made the sport look bad.... :banghead:
Seriously, I bet the time gained by using 29ers could easily be made up by using proper aerodynamics (skinsuits, bullet helmets, fairings on wheels/frames....). But a skinsuit is like 100 bucks max. and doesn't require you to buy a completely new bike. :crazy:

Time someone petitions the UCI to "make DH great again" and ban wagon wheels. :ban:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Why not both? DH is about being fastest down the mountain... as long as your helmet has a peak, I back the decision to run whatever wheelsize you want. If you're over 6ft and riding a frame three sizes bigger, but the same size wheels as your team mates would you not at least try the big wheels?

Name another sport where it's athlete vs clock and they chose to wear what is basically a parachute...

But still, all full face helmets must have peaks.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
anyone who's about to write a comprehensive list of sports where athletes don't wear Lycra, I don't actually care that much.

THIS IS THRILLING NEWS

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why not both? DH is about being fastest down the mountain... as long as your helmet has a peak, I back the decision to run whatever wheelsize you want. If you're over 6ft and riding a frame three sizes bigger, but the same size wheels as your team mates would you not at least try the big wheels?
Because rulez! BMX = 20", cruiser class = 24", road bikes = 28", MTB = 26", 27.5", 29" WTF?
On the road and BMX nobody cares how tall you are, you have to run the one wheel size sanctioned by the rules.

Talking about fairness too: if the 29" wheels are that much faster and short riders can't use them (tire buzz on bum, hard to package large wheels in a small frame) then the tall guys and gals have an unfair advantage.

But still, all full face helmets must have peaks.
Why peaks? Go all the way!

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
you know what wheel has a better rollover and carries more speed than a 29"??
a 30"... a 31".....oh and a 32"... and a 33"..... where are they/we going to put the limit?

this sport its becoming a joke every year, the wheel size in competition should be sanctioned in the rules and let the best man win.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Talking about fairness too: if the 29" wheels are that much faster and short riders can't use them (tire buzz on bum, hard to package large wheels in a small frame) then the tall guys and gals have an unfair advantage.
This is a bit like saying that tall basketball players have an unfair advantage over shorter ones...

29in wheels are not better than 27.5. They are just a bit different and might have the edge over smaller wheels in some situations and be worse in other. It is just about finding the right balance for yourself and not listen too much to the marketing hype! ;)

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is a bit like saying that tall basketball players have an unfair advantage over shorter ones...
Nope, that was not my point. The rules in basketball are clear, so if you as a short person want to play it, it is your decision. In DH new developments create potentially a benefit for taller riders, giving them an advantage. These new developments are using gaps in the rules and the governing body is not (yet) willing to change them.

Maybe it is time for different classes depending on wheel size? And/or have a "Top Fuel" class where everything besides motors is allowed?

Sep 11, 2015
well well ... look who the new season dragged in. it's the return of the 'stache.
:headbang:

I took a break from tronzing for a bit. The winter doldrums were getting to me, and too much screen time didn't help.

But when I saw that Dirt article, I had to come back and see what the Monkey had to say about it.

The commentary has been delicious. I think it says something about a person when they say they would rather DH racing go full aero before allowing another wheel size.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
:headbang:

I took a break from tronzing for a bit. The winter doldrums were getting to me, and too much screen time didn't help.

But when I saw that Dirt article, I had to come back and see what the Monkey had to say about it.

The commentary has been delicious. I think it says something about a person when they say they would rather DH racing go full aero before allowing another wheel size.
Glad you're back :)