Quantcast

Love your job?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So I know very few people who truly LOVE their job… as we all know by some of the threads posted here.

However I do know one person who does, my wife – She’s a reporter. And she would probably correct me - because to her it's her career.

The reason she loves her job – is that everyday is a new adventure and challenge.

Recently she had to get qualified by her local fire department in order to get better access to fires and their aftermath. Basically it is a week long program that gives them some firefighter style training (although obviously very watered down – no pun intended).

They rappel down a building, learn about the gear, get to put out fires, are placed blindfolded inside a burning room (simulated obviously) and given 2 minutes to escape, and have to run hoses up a 5 story building!

I’m actually jealous – this looks like fun!

Repelling down a building:

Getting geared up:

Learning to use the respirator:

Out of the frying pan…

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would say that 75% of the time I love my job. So much that I get in early and tend to stay late without notice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My job is just cool enough to keep me from burning the building down after shooting everyone.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
SkaredShtles said:
You know she's now got a hookup in the fire department. Women can't resist a fireman. :p
LOL - since she is 5'11" tall it's actually the other way around... firemen, policemen and guys in the military are ALWAYS chasing her.

It's really funny b/c we've been hanging out before and had some of them come up to us (they'll recognize her from a story) and start hitting on her. When she introduces me - they start sizing me up BIG time. Makes me laugh.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Slugman said:
LOL - since she is 5'11" tall it's actually the other way around... firemen, policemen and guys in the military are ALWAYS chasing her.

It's really funny b/c we've been hanging out before and had some of them come up to us (they'll recognize her from a story) and start hitting on her. When she introduces me - they start sizing me up BIG time. Makes me laugh.
Are you a midget? :think:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i like my job to a point
sure its boring...BUT
i get to fart on the intraweb whilst not working
AND
i just got a hefty raise last week for doing so

its tolerable :)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
:confused: Why would you think that?

And no - I'm 6'1"

They size me up because most of them think they are so bad-ass that they can't figure out why they are striking out... military is the worse, police second, Firemen are usually the coolest - only ones who will automatically stick their hands out to shake mine upon being introduced... but they are still sizing me up.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i love your wife too! uh...i mean my job :D

honestly though, i do love my job. it's like the first day at a cool job everyday, you never know what to expect. it can be pretty physically and emotionally draining at times but after my 4 days off i'm always ready to go back.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Do you smell really bad or something? :confused:
AHH! Offhand-remark-style spelling Nazis must DIE!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I hate my job I don't want to go there anymore. I do production/assembly work. I've been doing it for about 12 years. I'm just sick of it. I'd like to actually use my brain and work in a climate controlled environment. I haven't done squat there for weeks. Today I worked 9 hrs overtime ('posta be 10), got sick of it and left.

Does anybody have a nice hot tip for me?

i'm gonna go build a new wheel...and drink beer.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I don't love my job (software test engineer), but I enjoy it (espeically now that I started a new one this week :D ) Would I rather not have to work so I could ride all day...sure. But if I must do the daily grind I can't think of too many other things I would rather be doing.....except maybe a job that I could do for a year or two and then never have to work again :think: I get paid to break s**t and it's not even my responsibility to fix it...not to bad in my opinion!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I actually really like my job too, but love is a bit strong...

The only problem is that it's in the medical device field and a lot of people get grossed out when I talk about some of the stuff I do, like the cadaver lab I was at last night...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Now how did you trick that pretty lady into marrying you? ;)

Her job makes mine look extremely boring by comparison. Of course my job IS boring. No cadavers, but I get to make fun of doctors all day long due to their inferior computer skills.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ciaran said:
Now how did you trick that pretty lady into marrying you? ;)

Her job makes mine look extremely boring by comparison. Of course my job IS boring. No cadavers, but I get to make fun of doctors all day long due to their inferior computer skills.
Is f'ing with doctors smart? I mean they give you the zombie drug and you're playing Bill Pullman.

Don't let them bury me! I'm not dead!

J

JRB

lovebunny said:
its ok because most people dislike you so it all works out in the end:thumb:
meh - a couple of folks do, but it's guilt by association. Funny thing is, they don't like us, because our business confuses them. They are the new bosses, and they don't know what they signed up for even. :confused: