Quantcast

Low Carb Bashers, RM Nutritionists: Wrong again

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0611090062nov09,1,1064638.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Study finds low-carb diets OK for heart

Associated Press
Published November 9, 2006

Eating a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet for years doesn't raise the risk of heart disease, a long-term study suggests.

The study of thousands of women over two decades found that those who got lots of their carbohydrates from refined sugars and highly processed foods nearly doubled their risk of heart disease.

At the same time, those who ate a low-carb diet but got more of their protein and fat from vegetables rather than animal sources cut their heart disease risk by 30 percent on average, compared with those who ate more animal fats.

The findings came from researchers at Harvard University's schools of medicine and public health who reviewed records of 82,802 women in the ongoing Nurses' Health Study over 20 years. The women were not dieting to lose weight. In fact, on average they were slightly overweight and increased their body-mass index roughly 10 percent during the study.

Conventional wisdom says risk of heart disease should increase for those eating the lowest-carb, highest-fat diet, said lead author Thomas Halton.

"It didn't, which was a little eye-opening," he said.

For American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Susan Moores, the key finding was that women reduced heart disease risk by eating more protein and fat from vegetable sources.

"That was the biggest `Aha!"' she said.

Moores, a dietitian in St. Paul, said that because the study only included women, many going through menopause and taking hormones, it is unclear how it applies to men.

The findings are reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, but isn't no/low carbs really dangerous for people who do aerobic exercise for more than an hour or two on a regular basis?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I need to drink less beer.
Dude, put down the keyboard and get to a doctor right away! You're sick or something.

All this means to me is that a diet rich in animal protein and fat will increase chances of heart disease, as compared to getting protein and fat from vegetables. Big surprise.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A single study findings is only minor evidence usually played up by the press (AP in this case).

You need a decent number studies to survey before you can make any point about what generally accepted in the field. You also need to know who conducted it, how rigorous it was (were they are obvious flaws), etc... As it says, it wasn't a very complete study, so this is only slightly newsworthy as a footnote story:

Moores, a dietitian in St. Paul, said that because the study only included women, many going through menopause and taking hormones, it is unclear how it applies to men.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They aren't clear what kind of low carb diet was used.

The following organizations have publically sided against Atkins-like diets:

-The American Cancer Society
-The American Heart Association
-The American Dietetic Association
-The American Medical Association

They have made numerous press releases warning of serious potential health risks of Atkins-like diets.

More rational low carb diets like the South Beach Diet seem some-what sane but to eat low carb diets like Aktins against well proven health research is just stupid.

Also dieting in general is always going to be a fad - unless you change the environmental factors, nothing is going to happen - you will fall back into your old habits fostered by the environment you are in. Its well documented that years later the average weight loss after dieting is 0.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Are you suggesting we all go on low carb high fat diets BS?

Im afraid I cannot. I love my carbs.
Actually I posted the article because any time someone mentions "low carb" on this site, they are ridiculed, ostracized, molested and mailed to live with their aunt in North Dakota. My suggestion is only that people can use a variety of different diets to achieve success.

...and speaking of drinking less beer, I may be giving it up totally except for social occasions. As rob said, with liquor (im a big rum fan) less is more. I love my beer, but its not fitting in with what Im trying to do physically right now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
...and speaking of drinking less beer, I may be giving it up totally except for social occasions. As rob said, with liquor (im a big rum fan) less is more. I love my beer, but its not fitting in with what Im trying to do physically right now.
What, the shape of the liquor bottles is fitting in better?

:shocked:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Whatever you might have heard about the benefits of the low carb diet I am in the notion that these are not too suitable for our needs, as one thing is sure that this diet can restrict the amount of food that is to be taken. This can consequent to complete refrain from the foods of individual likings. What this means is it will deprive the essential nutrients from gettiing inside. Carbs are an essential means of storing energy in our body so one cant neglect them.
please translate to normal-people-speak. kthxbye

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Excessive carbs are 'poisonous'...

If you have too many, then it overworks your kidneys and and liver, distracting them from the job of removing real poisons.
Most nutrients are deadly in excessive quantities (and even water) but that is of no concern in a regular diet.

I could see if she was talking about huge quantities of simple sugars, but normal balanced amounts of carbs are just fine.

We do know Dr. Atkins was "poisoning" himself - he had acquired cardiovascular disease and he was an unhealthy/obese 255 lbs when he died - some claim from his diet and some claim from organ failure. We'll never know which as there are interests on each side of the fence who would like it promoted one way or the other.

We also know Atkin's company was a failure after people realized it was just another harmful fad diet. They filed for bankruptcy in the summer of 2005.

The majority of scientific/health organizations (listed in my prior post) and studies do not support the low carb fad diet.