Low end Alienware Vs low end HP

Which is the better buy?

• Low end HP of about the same price

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Well, I'm just basically looking for a computer under probably $900, I would also like to know which way to go for a processor for gaming, Athlon or Pentium, a gig of ram, good vid card, I dunno, just pretty much looking for a computer that will be a good performing gaming computer for a reasonable price.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
TheBiggmann said:
Well, I'm just basically looking for a computer under probably $900, I would also like to know which way to go for a processor for gaming, Athlon or Pentium, a gig of ram, good vid card, I dunno, just pretty much looking for a computer that will be a good performing gaming computer for a reasonable price.
AMD or Intel about equal for gaming really, but I really like the Intel Dual Core processor. I got one in my new laptop and it absolutely smokes.

With a couple upgrades, the Alienware Area-51 3550 looks decent for the price.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Do you have a display?

When I last looked into it, you could build a fairly solid gaming rig for $800 + display. Actually putting the thing together is not that bad, but you never know what could go wrong.

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, I have a display, I've also built one of each for around $800-1000. What would you say as far as Alienware vs HP for gaming performance on an equally priced system?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
TheBiggmann said:
Yeah, I have a display, I've also built one of each for around $800-1000. What would you say as far as Alienware vs HP for gaming performance on an equally priced system?
"alienware VS hp" is too vague information to make a relevant judgement.

what specific models have your attention?
good information to have would be what motherboard, what video card, what processor.

what games do you play? what kinda of display do you want to use?

for gaming, video cards, motherboard and processors are the top priority.
for $1000 (without monitor?), you can choose a pretty decent gaming cpu.
but more information is needed. check the websites, and post the models you are interested in.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not sure that you understand that hardware is hardware. If the two systems are equally spec'd, having "Alienware" or "HP" on the label isn't going to have a performance difference.

The important things are the specifications. Tell us what models you're looking at or paste the listed specifications off the website and we'll give you a run down. Otherwise, we can't help you :)

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Alright, the Alienware is a Aurora 3500 series, the processor is AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with Hyper Transport, Motherboard is the Alienware nForce 4 SLI chipset motherboard PCI express, Vid card is 256 MB Geforce 7600 GT. I would send the link in case you guys wanna check it out but I dunno if it'll send the computer that I configured or just the configuration page. The HP is a d4500 series. The processor is an AMD X2 4200+ dual core (I'm thinking this aspect is better than the alienware), it doesn't say what the motherboard is as far as I can tell, and the Vid card is a GeForce 7300 LE with turbo cache. Depending on what the parents are willing to spend, I might be able to upgrade to the 5500 on the alienware. I think I finally got you guys what your looking for but if I don't, give me another kick in the shorts. :) ohhh, and as far as games that I play, I play a lot of Warcraft and my brother just bought Fable, which kind of spurred us to get a different computer cuz our vid card wouldn't handle it and we were al sick of our computer being slow anyway.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The video card on the Alienware will spank the crap out of the video card on the HP.

All other things being equal, that video card will more than make up for the difference on the processor. I'd go with the Alienware for games.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
For a gamming PC your best bet is to build your own. A homemade system will 9 times out of 10 be faster than a prebuilt for a lower price.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
TheBiggmann said:
Alright, the Alienware is a Aurora 3500 series, the processor is AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with Hyper Transport, Motherboard is the Alienware nForce 4 SLI chipset motherboard PCI express, Vid card is 256 MB Geforce 7600 GT. I would send the link in case you guys wanna check it out but I dunno if it'll send the computer that I configured or just the configuration page. The HP is a d4500 series. The processor is an AMD X2 4200+ dual core (I'm thinking this aspect is better than the alienware), it doesn't say what the motherboard is as far as I can tell, and the Vid card is a GeForce 7300 LE with turbo cache. Depending on what the parents are willing to spend, I might be able to upgrade to the 5500 on the alienware. I think I finally got you guys what your looking for but if I don't, give me another kick in the shorts. :) ohhh, and as far as games that I play, I play a lot of Warcraft and my brother just bought Fable, which kind of spurred us to get a different computer cuz our vid card wouldn't handle it and we were al sick of our computer being slow anyway.

between those two, the alienware owns.
anything nvidia turbo cache:nuts:7600gt

are you sure they both are similarly priced???