Quantcast

Low light focusing

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was shooting a late night snowboard street jib & rail session last night and was having trouble focusing on the subject.

With little or no light available (except for my strobes), auto focus was out and manual focus was difficult as the subject was dark.

I shot a few test shots with the subject standing on the feature, then adjusted the focus from what I saw in the lcd screen.

Once I uploaded the photos onto the computer however, the focusing was out on most of the pics.

Frustrating.

Any ideas?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Get a Leica. :)

Really, pre-focusing/scale focusing is what you're gonna have to do. Use a small aperture and a powerful-but-diffused flash to compensate. If you do it again, consider (seriously!) carrying a tape measure and mark your shooting point and your "trigger" point for the photo.

And/or get a nice flashlight like a Sure-fire and pre-focus using that.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yep...if you know where your target will be, use the distance scale on the lens and stop down to where you think a good DoF will yield good focus.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I shot a few test shots with the subject standing on the feature, then adjusted the focus from what I saw in the lcd screen.

Once I uploaded the photos onto the computer however, the focusing was out on most of the pics.

Frustrating.

Any ideas?
Have the guy stand on the jump with a cell phone next to his face. Focus on that. Then switch focus to manual, stop down so you have some depth of field to compensate for the subject moving, and don't move yourself...

(This won't work if the distance between your prefocused point and you changes very much...so don't try it for a sequence shot.)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Weegee used a set focus of 10 feet for his wonderful nightlife shots.

I would set your focus similarly, then get used to taking photos at that distance.

If nothing at all, you will get a photo as opposed to waiting for the autofocus to stop.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Weegee used a set focus of 10 feet for his wonderful nightlife shots.

I would set your focus similarly, then get used to taking photos at that distance.

If nothing at all, you will get a photo as opposed to waiting for the autofocus to stop.
Speaking of Wegee, I'd also recommend using a Speed Graphic 4x5...the wire-frame sportsfinder retains excellent visibility at night.