Quantcast

Low Profile Flat Pedals for Road?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I ride my road bike to work and never had any problems in the past with the old school mtb flat pedals I was using on it, but today I decided to ride someplace new and took a corner too aggressively without keeping my pedals flat enough - OTB on to the asphalt - I caught the corner while cornering hard. Got my work pants all dirty with grease (I wear an ankle band, so its not normally an issue), scratched my blackberry, chain came off, and snapped one of the rails on my saddle. Lucky for me there was no traffic at that moment :happydance:

Anyhow, I don't ride to work in road shoes/pedals and have no need or want to (I use old 5.10's and change into work shoes at the office). Any low profile flats (even less than an old school MTB flat pedal - you know the kind with removeable cages that bolt to the front)...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah I just saw it on their site, "Momentum". It looks pretty similar to what I already have sizewise unfortunately.

Haha! I thought I was the only one who rode a road bike with flat pedals to work. You should see some of the strage looks I get from other cyclist when they see my set-up. Also makes attemping to wheelie a road bike much less risky. :biggrin:

I use a pair of the older style Tioga flat pedals (not the Monoblock) and a pair of Vans to commute and have had no issue with pedal slips, knocking pedals, etc. If you want something even flatter, go to www.atomlab.com and check out the "aircorp" pedals. They are the flattest ones I have seen and know of.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know that still seems wider than an average road pedal. My only problem is with cornering aggressively if I don't pay attention to pedal position.

Mine looks pretty similar to the WTB like this:

Maybe I could unscrew the pedal platform and drill extra holes so I can mount the platform closer inwards (there is enough space on mine to do it).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know if the MKS will give me much when cornering compared to what I already have. The DuraAce looks great - where can I buy those? I hope they don't cost too much just for the name :rolleyes:

I don't see the 6400 listed.

dura_ace6400_pedals.jpg

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
You want a narrower pedal... Low profile (to me anyway) means height from the centerline of the axle... The normal bmx/mtb flat is 110mm wide S&M makes one that is 101mm wide; oddly enough it is called the S&M 101....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well low profile and narrower would be most ideal.

I hope I can get those Dura Ace on eBay they are almost $400 brand new retail ($359) - what the hell! I saw a pair that sold for about $50 on there recently.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah still too much for simple flat pedals. I'll try for eBay first.

There isn't anything that makes them worth even $140 IMHO.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
While not the most appealing solution ever, you could run plastic pedals. If you get the cheap ones the D-shaped portion on the outside of the pedal unsupported by the axle will flex when you hit the ground; you'll grind plastic off, but they're much more forgiving than metal pedals. I've still got plastic cheapies on my commuter bike for the very reason that I like to jump on the pedals out of corners, and sometimes I jump a little too soon. The D-shaped outer portion on my right pedal actually got ground down until it broke and fell off, creating a narower pedal. Less comfortable for the foot on longer treks, but it's much harder to scrape it (though still possible).

Otherwise, watch your pedaling through corners.