Quantcast

Low-riser bar on DH bikes ??

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
For the moment I am riding a 2,5" riser bar. However, I find it too tall due to a tall fork and I am considering getting a low-riser bar (1") to lower the front of the bike. Anybody who has any experience riding 1" bars on DH bikes ? How does it affect steering and pulling ? Also - any good advice on which low-rise bar to get? It has to be non-over size due to the integrated stem.

Thanks for any advice :thumb:

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
seismic said:
For the moment I am riding a 2,5" riser bar. However, I find it too tall due to a tall fork and I am considering getting a low-riser bar (1") to lower the front of the bike. Anybody who has any experience riding 1" bars on DH bikes ? How does it affect steering and pulling ? Also - any good advice on which low-rise bar to get? It has to be non-over size due to the integrated stem.

Thanks for any advice :thumb:

I had the same problem and went from a 2.5 " to a 1" riser with no problems on my M3, rides great.
Most 1" risers are not very wide so your choice will be limited , I bought an Easton monkey bar 1" low riser, low weight and very strong and is a full 27" wide, Answer Pro Taper may also be an option but it is only 25 " wide.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've switched bars around...
A smaller rise bar lowers your center of gravity/leverage on the front end, so makes it a bit more work to lift the front up and over stuff, but lower CG does make the ride a little more stable...it's all a trade-off, and playing with your riser height lets you dial in the feel of your bike.
Ride a few and go with whatever's most comfy. I prefer a lower rise on my DH, and a higher rise on my street and play bikes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The bars aren't in your lap. Think about how road riders sprint in the drops. They're really low, which gives them more leverage for pulling up. However, it's a little harder to manual with lower bars.

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
low rise EA70...

GREAT IDEA

888s on my demo9 were still too high...so

no azonic shorty, bought a dangerboy ak47, lowered stem stackers, aireal drop crowns, low rise bars lowered the front by over 3". amazing, now handles like butter.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Hi Lars!

Don't know if you remember, but when we switched bikes in Vånga, I had a 690mm 31.8 1" rise Easton EA70 bar on. (Still have.)

Your setup felt much higher and narrower.

I actually just got a standard diameter EA30, in the same size and rise for my HT.
They both work really well. The EA70 is really light at 250g. The EA30 is slightly more, but still light and cheaper! Just make sure you get a wide 69cm one.
Great leverage for pushing hard on your pedals!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
RogerH said:
Hi Lars!

Don't know if you remember, but when we switched bikes in Vånga, I had a 690mm 31.8 1" rise Easton EA70 bar on. (Still have.)

Your setup felt much higher and narrower.

I actually just got a standard diameter EA30, in the same size and rise for my HT.
They both work really well. The EA70 is really light at 250g. The EA30 is slightly more, but still light and cheaper! Just make sure you get a wide 69cm one.
Great leverage for pushing hard on your pedals!

Hi ROger

You are right...I think the answer lies in a wide, 1" rise EA70. I think the bike will handle better....and yes...I remember the dream ride I had on your bling-bling bike !! :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
For the most part, I've found that the wider and lower the bars, the better. The best thing about it for me is that a low bar gives better handling characteristics- less need to shift weight to the front in corners and such. I run a 25mm rise Holzfeller bar, which I think only comes in 31.8. An EA70 would be a solid choice.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I use the 25.4mm Lo-ride EA70's also. I also run them at the full width. I find that a low overheight front end helps me to get over the front of the bike easier to help weight the front through the corners.

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
EA70 low-riser are fine.

.. but be prepared to your buddies' sarcasms .. "wtf is that xc bar ?! when will you add bar-ends ? .."
That's what I heard all the past season .. :)

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
The lower the bars the easier it is to get your weight over the front, and hence the more traction you give to the front which helps you stick corners, and the less traction on the rear making is easier to slide it out if you need to.

Check out all the pics of the real fast riders. Getting it as low as possible is key.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Ditto what CD said. A mate of mine just bought Luke Strom's old bike, and the bars on that are slammed, low as you can imagine (even lower than my setup, which is 7" boxxer with flat crowns, zero stack headset and 1.5" EA50s). So, so nice to ride when it's like that, you have so much more control.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Switching my stem upside-down helped me get more front tire traction in corners and also made it easier to distribute weight when cornering tight singletrack trails :thumb:

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
partsbara said:
i m still trying to find these online :(
Yea, I searched and searched for the holzfellers with 25mm rise and 710mm width at a decent price but I couldn't find them online. So I found a slightly shorter 690mm holzfeller uncut (must be an OEM size) Good handlebars.

Bars should definitely be as low as possible, especially with the gigantic forks like the 888 these days...