Quantcast

low speed compression for 888

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How many people tried the low speed compression sleeve for the 888? I read the write-up on Go-Ride. I am thinking of trying it. I still have a few questions though.

Does it affect small bump sensitivity?-I love the 888 plushness.

How well does it actually work?-big difference or little.

What setting does everyone use?-which hole confuguration?

I really have no complaints about my 888 except in slow tight situations it likes to dive. I weigh 180 and ride everything from FR with 8-10ft drops, DH race, to XC with my FLY. Can anyone help me out here. Thanks

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I have one that is set up the way that James set his up.
I put it on brand new though, so I can't give you before and after type comparisons.

Here is what I can say...
The fork is plush as HE11, I've never bottomed it (even off 8-10ft drops) and it works great on small stuff too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Anyone? Im worried the sleeve will hurt the plushness...

I have only bottomed the 888 out about 5 times. 4 times on bigger drops and 1 on a crazy studdddder section at Whistler. I can still feel that one. Ive added a little oil a few times and now no bottoming and I get the full 8". Other than that the fork is stock.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
If you put the sleeve in the "all holes closed" setting, you will lose some "plushness".
In the two other, the fork is still smooth as you know it. I strongly recomend the sleeve. Try out lighter oil in the comp leg too.

E

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've moved mine around a few times and settled on 4 holes open, It did take away some of the plushness on the smaller bumps, but I found it to be better for me than only 2 holes open.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I weight 180. What do you guys weigh? I am thinking one hole covered might just be enough.

Brian what is the biggest difference you noticed? Im looking to cure the slow speed dive in tight FR trails.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
I weight 180. What do you guys weigh? I am thinking one hole covered might just be enough.

Brian what is the biggest difference you noticed? Im looking to cure the slow speed dive in tight FR trails.
I'm 190, running a firm spring in one leg and a stock spring in the other. With 2 holes covered it took away the most of the dive but made it more harsh on the smaller bumps, with the change I made it dive a hair more than the 2 hole setting, but got some of the suppleness back, but not all the way. Seems like that was the better set up for me.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
I have one, it works good.

Depending on which setting you put it on the fork will still have brake dive. It just wont dive down as far. All it does is change the spot at which the compression damping kicks in.

Like Espen said you can run a lighter oil and get more small bump plush ness. Normally running a oil too light would make the fork bottom out and dive like crazy but with the sleeve you can dial the damping differently. You can make it really soft for the first few inches then stiffen up in the last 1.5 or 2.5" portion of the stroke dependin on which setting its in. The 3rd setting is complete compression damping. I tried it, and wouldn't reccomend it unless you a crazy huckmaster who never rides trails.

Right now I have one in a 7" 888 set in the middle setting with 5wt oil. It works great. Its very plush and never bottoms out.

It's a pretty cool little mod.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I am 200 and used the middle position and no comp on the gold adjuster. I tested the full closed but it came out too harsh. I have just PL tested the 5W oil, but it seems like there's a noticable difference. I will try out more with more holes closed and even lighter oil.
What you are doing with the sleeve is to force allmost all the oil trew the shimstack, I think thats a good idea (on paper at least) There is still a hole in the center of the valve (the one you regulate with the gold adjuster.

Anyway, you can't go wrong if you are buying the sleeve. It makes it possible to tune the fork more to your riding style. Have patience, and test out different things.

E

jedi

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
hertford,uk
i have fitted the sleave 2 weeks ago.it's in the mid setting(?)when i wind on the gold compression dial i get buttery travel for 6" then its like the fork hits a wall.if i back the dial off a bit they go back to pre valve fitted performance.
??any advice?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jedi was that a problem for you before you installed the sleeve? It sounds to me like an oil level issue rather than damping setting. It took me a few tries to get the oil level just right so that I get full travel on the hardest hits but rarely bottom. Worked out to be about 190mm from the top of the stancion tube (as opposed to the recommended 185).

I just bought the sleeve but haven't installed it yet. Your post is encouraging, now maybe the compression adjuster will actually do something!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Although it's not supposed to be a "brick wall", I thought more progressiveness is one of the purposes of the sleeve, and it sounds like you are getting a significant ramp up near the end of travel.

Is it pretty much an on-off thing, like it's either a brick wall at 6" or you get full travel and bottom out? Is there no in-between?

How much do you weigh? Have you tried the lighter setting on the compression sleeve? I'm about 200 lbs have the same issues Scott mentions in the go-ride article.

What were you looking to change when you got the sleeve?

jedi

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
hertford,uk
its either off or on in terms of the hit the wall after 6" thing.
i fitted it so the foirk would compress slower for big drops

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jedi, we have now exhausted my knowledge on the subject! Maybe someone else can help ya.

Since I have a problem shutting up, I will say that it sounds really odd that by adding the sleeve, the compression cartridge goes from having basically no effect (stock) to suddenly becoming essentially a travel adjuster.

I'll venture a guess and say you should try out the lightest sleeve setting and see if it works for you. But that's just a guess.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
jedi said:
i have fitted the sleave 2 weeks ago.it's in the mid setting(?)when i wind on the gold compression dial i get buttery travel for 6" then its like the fork hits a wall.if i back the dial off a bit they go back to pre valve fitted performance.
??any advice?
The wall is the compression damping kicking in. Its when the piston/shimstack has moved past the port holes and now is forcing all the oil through it self. Just back off the C knob one click at a time untill you don't feel it anymore. Try to find the medium where it doesn't bottom out or spike.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
OGRipper said:
Yeah Alloy, but he's saying it's on or off, there is no middle ground. Doesn't sound right to me but that's what he said.
No, there is a middle ground, mine does the exact same thing. When you have it right it's hard to sense by just pushing on it. It does feel close to stock, but when your on the trail you'll notice it. Or at least you'll notice your dust line isn't at the seal anymore.

OgRipper, Install your sleeve, try it in a few different settings and experiment with the compression knob, you'll see what I'm talking about. And if you don't.... well then you have no business taking it apart in the first place :D The way the fork works is really simple, take it apart for see for your self.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
hey, I was just trying to interpret what he was saying 'cuz I'm interested in 888 issues. I know it doesn't sound right but I thought maybe you didn't read what he said.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ok, I am about to have the 888 operated on. ;) I have been doing bigger drops and need the fork just a little stiffer. I weigh 180 and use the fork for everything. My choices are;

1:add the compression sleeve
2:add a heavy spring to JUST ONE side
3:add the compression sleeve and the heavy spring in one side.

I love the fork. The only thing I dont like is how much it dives in slow tech riding. I also need it just a little stiffer.

Will the compression sleeve help a little on bottoming? If it will help a little, maybe I dont need the heavier spring. I only need it to be a little stiffer. Opinions. HELP.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
Ok, I am about to have the 888 operated on. ;) I have been doing bigger drops and need the fork just a little stiffer. I weigh 180 and use the fork for everything. My choices are;

1:add the compression sleeve
2:add a heavy spring to JUST ONE side
3:add the compression sleeve and the heavy spring in one side.

I love the fork. The only thing I dont like is how much it dives in slow tech riding. I also need it just a little stiffer.

Will the compression sleeve help a little on bottoming? If it will help a little, maybe I dont need the heavier spring. I only need it to be a little stiffer. Opinions. HELP.....
The compression sleeve help with the fork diving, you should try a firmer spring in one side first, However I also ended up installing the compression sleeve.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So what difference was there in adding the stiffer spring? Then what difference when you added the sleeve? What did you notice the most with each step.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I started right off the bat before riding it with 2 firm springs cause I weighed 205lbs at that time. However once I got the frame and built up the bike I was down to 185lbs, rode it a few times and it wasn't bad just a little to firm for me, so I removed one firm spring and replaced it with the stock spring. It started diving though with the one firm spring so I added the compression sleeve which helped.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So maybe I should just add the heavier spring in one side? I want the thing to be super plush still. Thats what I love about the 888...

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I have a 888, and weigh 260lbs, hope to be loosing some of the fat this year, maybe roung 230. What about for me is there any option to make my 888 super firm>??? I am running extra firm springs in my fork, but it just doesn't feel firm enough, and it dives all day long. Some one told me 10xt oil in the compression side, but I was wondering about the adjuster cover>?? :help:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I put my compression sleeve on a couple weeks ago in the middle setting, the same way Scott at Go-Ride said works best for him. (Thanks again to Scott for the 888 article!) Haven't had that much ride time yet but so far I feel much less dive under braking and when dropping into steep chutes, a slight increase in progressiveness, and almost no effect on the initial plushness. Still got that inimitable crazy plush bomber feel, just less dive, making more of the travel available. Still need more time but so far I gotta say this is a great upgrade and I think it'll help regardless of spring weight issues.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I set the pre-load in the middle. I ordered a new spring for one side. Ill start there and then go with the sleeve later if I need it. Thanks

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
I set the pre-load in the middle. I ordered a new spring for one side. Ill start there and then go with the sleeve later if I need it. Thanks
They normally should be in the middle, otherwise they tend to knock around.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Can you tell any difference between middle and bottom? I always wanted to try the bottom but never really got around to it. I suppose it would help a little with dive and compression but probably not much.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
Can you tell any difference between middle and bottom? I always wanted to try the bottom but never really got around to it. I suppose it would help a little with dive and compression but probably not much.
I noticed a slight difference.