Quantcast

Low stack/profile saddles

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Anyone have any recommendations on low profile saddles for a DH bike that won’t shear off and leave shrapnel in my taint?

I’m currently running a chromag DJ saddle and it’s a little too bulky for my DH bike. I have quite short legs, so I’d like to maximize my moving room without having to just slam my seatpost.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, get an SLR off ebay after a roadie scuffs the cover and deems it unrideable. They're my favorite saddle, and I routinely get them for ~$40-50 that way.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, get an SLR off ebay after a roadie scuffs the cover and deems it unrideable. They're my favorite saddle, and I routinely get them for ~$40-50 that way.
Yep, they don't look like much, but it's my fav. I'm up for another one right now actually, so if anyone gets a good line...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. IME SLR rails actually bend in a crash rather than shear.
I've bent them and snapped the shell on a couple but never actually sheared anything off.

Check out the Prime cromo railed saddles from CRC/Wiggle. They're kinda a copy of the SLR design so pretty low stack too but 100g heavier and not as comfortable (not much flex). Best of all they're only £15

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I won’t be sitting in it much as it’ll be at home on a DH bike. So comfort is not an issue. Weight isn’t either as my bike is a fucking pig already.

Here is the bike, just for reference and for me to post a picture of my bike. Note, I swapped the seat from the picture out already because the saddle on there had hard edges and left bruises in my thighs.

EA844746-E0BE-47EB-8BC5-617E8974ABF0.jpeg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If the reason you're wanting low stack height is to slam the saddle as low as possible take a look at the various saddles on the market that have a crescent shape cut out to the rear to avoid tyre buzz.
I have a YT branded one on my Session. I'm not sure but it might just be a rebranded SDG Radar

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No. IME SLR rails actually bend in a crash rather than shear.
I've bent them and snapped the shell on a couple but never actually sheared anything off.
Interesting. I saw a couple where the titanium rails sheared in crashes, exposing sharp edges. The plastic of the saddle was deformed but nothing sharp was exposed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've bent one or two, but never fully assploded one. That includes a lot of time on DH bikes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like the Flite too, the Fabric saddles I tried were the most uncomfortable things I'd sat on since trying one of those Fizik Gobbies or whatever they were.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Interesting. I saw a couple where the titanium rails sheared in crashes, exposing sharp edges. The plastic of the saddle was deformed but nothing sharp was exposed.
BITD I bent/destroyed all sorts of saddles. and did snap Ti rails on a few British brand's Ti railed saddles. But never on an SLR

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Same.
comfort shouldn't matter for a DH bike but they're not even a good shape for your inner thighs or getting off the back
Yeah I'm pretty heavy and the middle bowed so much it put pressure on the wrong bits.

Was glad the shop had a test system, I have a cheap german brand seat with Ti rails

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
BITD I bent/destroyed all sorts of saddles. and did snap Ti rails on a few British brand's Ti railed saddles. But never on an SLR
Just realized that we might talk about different saddles. I meant the SLR TT with the ti tube rails but saw that there also versions with full ti rails. Maybe this explains the different observations?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I'm a fan of the WTB Silverado. Very lo-pro, cheap, and very common in people's parts bin. I have a ti saddle lying around in fact, and it's so low-profile that the sides rub on the rails. Been through many crashes without exploding.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just realized that we might talk about different saddles. I meant the SLR TT with the ti tube rails but saw that there also versions with full ti rails. Maybe this explains the different observations?
I'm talking about the SLR 135. 135 refers to the 135g weight. I don't think Selle themselves call it that anymore.
As above you can pick them up S/H cheap from roadies in good condition if you're patient

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm talking about the SLR 135. 135 refers to the 135g weight. I don't think Selle themselves call it that anymore.
As above you can pick them up S/H cheap from roadies in good condition if you're patient
That should be the TT version. Strange. I myself have no issues with them, they are great.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Odd to name a saddle with so little padding on the nose "TT" but yeah the Selle Italia range has always been a nightmare to navigate

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I feel like I was probably bidding against Monkeys just now.