Quantcast

Lower back pain!!

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Okay, I did a half ass search -which came with all kinds of things not related to back pain- and am ready to assail you with my woes.
First- I have had a professional fit done at my LBS. My setup was all jacked up, but it did not help the back, helped other htings though. I truly recommend it.

Second- I did not have this trouble until I crashed and dislocated my left shoulder (again) in December.

Third- here we go. When climbing, in or out of saddle, my lower back- mostly on left hand side- at the belt line starts to hurt like mad. If I stop and stretch it out for a minute I get mild relief until the next climb. I have tried prestretching, riding with no cameback on, and of course positioning. I guess after some inactivity, not to mention getting older the back needs some specific exercise. I have also heard that strengthening the abs will help take some of the load off the back. Any tips? Quick too, I have a 28 mile race coming up in a month at altitude with over 4000' feet of total climbing!! Help!!

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Is it pain, like an injury, or pain like soreness/tightness you get after a hard workout? If it is pain, than perhaps some ab exercises might help, but probaly something you should see the doc about, if it is just soreness, which i assume it is, that is in my opinion a lack of low back strenght/endurance/fitness. If the muscles back there arent used to holding a static position for any kind of extended periods, it will get tight, and sore, but only time will make that go away.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Hey all last year racing i had really bad lower back pain. BAsically cause my back was to weak. This winter i've been doing a crazy amount of work for my back. So i'm sure i won't have the back problems anymore. The best workout for you back is dead lifts. Start doing them now and you'll improve quikly.

Dirt Knap

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Wisconsin
I have been having lower back problems myself. It started in the middle of last summer. It got better over the winter but now after a few rides and a small digger, it's bothering me again. I have no idea what's wrong but I'm not going to suffer through another summer. I've got a chiropractor appointment next week Tuesday, I'll have to let you know what I find out, maybe it's similar to your issues.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm younger but have always had minor back issues. In college I went to a doctor and he told me the lower back issue was due to my traps being tense. I learned a way of releasing the muscle and my back pain goes away. Maybe not the same thing but it couldn't hurt to look into. Since it's all connected I guess the shoulder issue I had was putting strain on the other muscles. just my exp. :)

Dirt Knap

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Lexx D
I'm younger but have always had minor back issues. In college I went to a doctor and he told me the lower back issue was due to my traps being tense. I learned a way of releasing the muscle and my back pain goes away. Maybe not the same thing but it couldn't hurt to look into. Since it's all connected I guess the shoulder issue I had was putting strain on the other muscles. just my exp. :)
Dang that is almost exactly what's happening with me. Nearly everytime my woman massages my traps she says that they are tight. I'm guessing that my problems are right along the lines of yours.

Another thing I failed to mention before is that I too have had shoulder problems. I had a sever bruise in my left shoulder a few years ago. I wonder if my back is trying to compensate for weakness in my shoulder.