Quantcast

Lower Back Surgery?

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
I've been dealing with low back pain for a couple of years now and decided to go get it checked it out after riding a lot this winter and not being able to function as normal. I was told that my 2 lowest joints are unstable and the discs are squashed to the point that my doctor said he wasn't sure how I was able to even walk.

So long story short, I have another 6 weeks of physical therapy to stabilize the low back and if that doesn't work then they want to fuse the 2 low joints. So I'm posting this question; Has anyone here had low back surgery and if so, what has been the outcome. I'd rather live with some mobility and pain than live without mobility and pain...FML.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I had surgery.

but first...

I did accupuncture, PT with a few different therapists and stopped all physical activity other then walking ten miles a day.

I had surgery and still had serious pain. The nerve in my back was still crazy fired up. It took over a year for it to mellow out and I still had pain from time to time and after physical activity.

I did 8 weeks of bikram yoga and my back was the best it has felt EVER. I went to yoga every other day.

I have also heard that Slack Lining (google it) is amazing for strengthing the core and helps people with their back.

for me, stretching and core strength from yoga was key for me. but that was after surgery.

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
How was riding after surgery? My passion is DH and I do a lot of freeriding out here in the NorthWest. Just don't know how I'd handle not being able to ride all the time. Same thing happened to my skiing career after going through 4 shattered legs/ankles in 2 years, had to give it up, unless I want to go hit cruisers or ski the deeeeeep! Very humbling to say the least.

I would assume slack lining helps with the core strength and stability, I've got a few friends that do it and maybe it will help out? I've done quite a bit of yoga over the years and it does help. I do plan on starting another yoga routine to try and get some lost mobility and strength back. Thanks for input.

I had surgery.

but first...

I did accupuncture, PT with a few different therapists and stopped all physical activity other then walking ten miles a day.

I had surgery and still had serious pain. The nerve in my back was still crazy fired up. It took over a year for it to mellow out and I still had pain from time to time and after physical activity.

I did 8 weeks of bikram yoga and my back was the best it has felt EVER. I went to yoga every other day.

I have also heard that Slack Lining (google it) is amazing for strengthing the core and helps people with their back.

for me, stretching and core strength from yoga was key for me. but that was after surgery.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can ride now. I mostly dirt jump. But my back didn't get better on its own after surgery. Bikram yoga fixed it.....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have been looking at a lot of books, I'll try this one out next. Did you use the book yourself?
Yes. Gave it to my dad, who was scheduling surgery around golf season, worked for him as well.

If you're reading it and you don't have a "That's me!" moment, it won't help. It's worth a shot though.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Tagging along.

I've had issues for a few years now (on and off). Right now it is "on" and I'm going to PT 2-3 times per week. Looking to do anything I can to get back on the bike and avoid surgery in the future.

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
Physical Therapy is slowly working...I think? Lots of strength training and correcting horrible posture from years of biking, weight lifting, moto-ing, and working behind a computer. Starting Bikrams Yoga next week at 5am, ouch. I've got another 4-5 weeks of PT before my reassessment from the doctor.

Digging trail makes me sore, but biking somehow makes my back feel better? I'm staying off the big drops for now and trying to be as smooth as possible, easier said then done :)

wahaneebelly

Chimp
May 20, 2010
I have been struggling with lower back pain these last few weeks, for the first time in my life. I am sure it's nothing compared to what other people have been through. Do you have any tips.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
heat the area, stretch, relax, don't over use, etc

and bikram yogo every other day for six weeks.

I hear slack lining is great too.