Quantcast

Lower bars, help!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Well since there is a ridiculous amount of snow on the ground, I figured now would be the time to change the obnoxious bar height on my Socom. My current setup is 2007 Boxxer Team with stock crown, FSA orbit reducer headset (note I would not recommend this headset to anyone. Its heavy unsealed and has a retard cup on the top and bottom 5mm each!) one 5mm spacer between crown and headset (I know this is one area that I can definitely lower the bars slightly but what is the thinnest spacer that I can run?
My lowbar setup would be as follows:
E-13 zero stack reducing cups
FSA Integrated headset
Remove crown spacer and replace with much thinner one
Chromag flat bars
Flat crown for the Boxxer
Can you guys think of anything I am missing that could get the bars lower? I don't really want to go to a direct mount stem (I just picked up a Thomson). Are there any other flat bars out there anyone recommends? Thanks for the help, Nick

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The flat crown will not do anything to lower your bars....just make sure the lowers are set so you have 203mm of stanchion (or better yet, collapse the fork and check tire clearance)

Put the e-13 cups and either an FSA or CC 'IS' headset in there...loose the dust cap for the headest and space the upper crown with micro-spacers just enough so it does not contact the headset/headtube..that is AS LOW as you can get the top crown.....the bottom of your crown will be ~ 5 mm above the top of the headtube.

Then a low stem (sunline integrated) and a low bar (If you do the rest, I think a flat bar is overkill...your call...)

edit..the thomson is fine @ 0* rise..if you want to go really low..see if you can fit the stem under your top crown...

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The flat crown will not do anything to lower your bars....just make sure the lowers are set so you have 203mm of stanchion (or better yet, collapse the fork and check tire clearance)

Put the e-13 cups and either an FSA or CC 'IS' headset in there...loose the dust cap for the headest and space the upper crown with micro-spacers just enough so it does not contact the headset/headtube..that is AS LOW as you can get the top crown.....the bottom of your crown will be ~ 5 mm above the top of the headtube.

Then a low stem (sunline integrated) and a low bar (If you do the rest, I think a flat bar is overkill...your call...)

edit..the thomson is fine @ 0* rise..if you want to go really low..see if you can fit the stem under your top crown...
WOW thanks. this is why ridemonkey is sweet. I don't think I want to put my stem under the crown, but the travel measure idea is nice.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yea, not sure you have the room to put the stem under...just throwing ideas out to see how crazy you wanted to go...

FYI if you have a 'non-flush mount' headset, the e-13, or flush FSA, or sunline reducer, ect will drop your bars about 1 inch with no other changes.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone got an actual weight on the chromag flat bar? I don't think I've even seen a claim.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Riser bars do offer some dampening effect to vibration. Flat bars offer precision. Flat bars are fine here in Australia where our runs are short,but running them on my Tandem on rough ground I do notice the extra vibration/rigidness. This is if both the flat bar and riser are of same dimensions/materials.
Why are any spacers needed between the headset and crown? I've often not run them with no noticed problems.I guess it would help take out any irregularities by adding a minute extra slop,but I still don't see the point.
Flat bars look cool.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They're technically not flat, they're like zero rise bars that have 10 degrees of sweep (obviously you can use that as back/upsweep or a combo depending on how you rotate them).

http://www.chromagbikes.com/products_oversize.html

I'd probably try them if they were <275g but knowing chromag that might be a little optimistic.