Quantcast

lower dominion wipeout

fatkid

Chimp
Jun 18, 2007
On sunday some guy riding a sunday crashed on the 3rd jump on lower dominion. He was unconscious and couldnt remember where he was and stuff. Anybody know how he's doing?

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
not sure how he is doing but that jump is outright dangerous. i know several people who have crashed very hard on that jump, all of them had to go to the hospital with broken bones.

Staplerzzzz

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Earth
The common problem I have with the third jump is that it kicks the back end up and sends me in a nose dive. I did the jump all last year and don't remember that happening once. I havn't stopped to look at the lip but it might need a little work.

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
All i have to say is that Lower Dominion is a Double Diamond Trail, ride at your own risk.

A buddy of mine had the worst thing happen to him...

On the little kicker by Lower Crap Chute, while he was in the air his lowers came right off his fork lowers separated from his Stanchions.... when he landed it was nice at all..

i hope he is all right, and heals up quick, because Mike is a great kid, and he's got a great future in DH!

Heal up Mike!

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
The common problem I have with the third jump is that it kicks the back end up and sends me in a nose dive. I did the jump all last year and don't remember that happening once. I havn't stopped to look at the lip but it might need a little work.
i think the lip was re-shaped a little because youre not the only one who notices the huge pop that jumps giving. all of my buddies notice it too. i know what to expect now so its not so bad, but ive almost lost it there a few times

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
i think the lip was re-shaped a little because youre not the only one who notices the huge pop that jumps giving. all of my buddies notice it too. i know what to expect now so its not so bad, but ive almost lost it there a few times
I think they redid it a bit as well. I almost got bucked off one weekend (crazy nosedive, but I rode it out). Now it seems much better. I saw them loading the guy up on a backboard yesterday. He must have biffed hard, but he seemed relatively okay- conscious, talking, moving. Hope everything worked out.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
it's definitely different this year. the first two seem unchanged, but the third gives a serious kick. like someone else said, it's good now that I know what to expect but the first time it almost sent me over the bars.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
All i have to say is that Lower Dominion is a Double Diamond Trail, ride at your own risk.
Agreed. And that goes for anything, I'm not referring to this incident or anything. I hope that dude is good to ride again as soon as possible.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
It seemed like 2 weeks ago it was a bit different. It's possible that I just got used to it or that the lip just got worn down a bit, but it feels mellower. The guys I was riding with this weekend agreed.
I was also warned that it throws you very front heavy so I took it easy for the first run. To me (first timer) it felt the same as any of the other jumps, just larger with a little more vertical pop.

It may just be huge, which may surprise people at first, but as of this weekend, it's definitely not "unsafe."

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
It seemed like 2 weeks ago it was a bit different. It's possible that I just got used to it or that the lip just got worn down a bit, but it feels mellower. The guys I was riding with this weekend agreed.
I noticed that too, this past weekend the lip on the 3rd was not as steep.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
As I took it everyone is kinda right on this situation. this is in fact a double black trail, BUT the jump does have a distinct "quick transition" right at the lip of the jump. The only way I can describe it is when the BMX boys come out to our jump park and try and get more height for insane stunts. They just add a "kicker" on the lip to give them more height. this is fine with no suspension but when you add 7+ inches of travel that is already preloaded up the face of the jump that last quick change of transition at the top tends to bottom the rear suspension out and give you that "pop" of the rear of the bike. Experienced jumpers can in fact counter the action with the push of the bars (i know it sounds opposite but that's what you do to counter a tail high situation only push forward not down, accompanied by tagging your posterior, you know your butt, on the seat and or rear tire, this followed by pushing down with your feet). The fact is a jump should never change transitional arc once it leaves ground level it just causes it to feel "funny" and it can in fact, just as the 3rd jump does" catch even the best jumpers off guard. It took me 3 shots at it to get it right and it was still kinda sketchy (but can-cans are a sinch off the jump). So I guess everyone that posted is in fact correct with their oppinions, and remember that is exactly what it is, an oppinion and everyone is entitled to one, if you don't like the jump, contact trail crew and donate your time to make things better, that's the only way things will evolve. Good luck with that see you on the slopes.:cheers:

D

dirtyjrzy1031

anybody thats doesn't adjust there rear shock/front fork, before they jump are just looking for trouble. there is a difference between race mode and freeride mode,learn whats best for either and remember where the setting is,and before you jump adjust, boys and girls.DHING 101

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
anybody thats doesn't adjust there rear shock/front fork, before they jump are just looking for trouble. there is a difference between race mode and freeride mode,learn whats best for either and remember where the setting is,and before you jump adjust, boys and girls.DHING 101
that's good advice if you plan to take several runs through the jumps, but it's not as practical for most guys who are just hitting the jumps once in a while as part of an extended DH run. especially guys like me who have to do yoga moves to reach my shock adjustments. I think the best bet for most of us is to get used to it, or go around.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
It seemed to me like they fixed the lip the weekend before last.

Before that, it always kicked me to the left and I could see that the face right before the lip was a little chewed up.

I was hitting it the weekend before last and it seemed much more predictable, so I figured they must have shaped it a bit.

It also didn't seem to be quite so vertical anymore (not that I cared about that).

Hope that kid heals up fast and doesn't miss too much riding!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
its also possible that they didnt reshape the jump but that the lip got worn a little? i mean if we're gonna discuss funky take offs on jumps then the 2 tables on tempest hav got to be up there

D

dirtyjrzy1031

i do about 15 runs when at diablo,one after the other.for me to get to my rear shock its just a turn with the hand,and my front fork is just 2 clicks very easy. no pogp action when i do jumps,know your equipment.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
I think everyone here needs to learn how to jump a bike, then learn how to even your bike out in the air

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think everyone here needs to learn how to jump a bike, then learn how to even your bike out in the air
This forum is going down the crapper because of ridiculous comments like this. The jump was kicking people weird for weeks and you come in with "you just don't know how to ride." Helpful. :plthumbsdown:

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
Quit your bitching and learn to jump. Not everything is made to suite you needs in this world. OR...better yet, ask one of the trail crew if the can take a quick ride up and fix it..that or tell shawn in person, he's usually there.