Quantcast

Lower "O"

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Those of you who know where it is need to spread the word that parking right in front of the gate is definitely causing way too much attention to be placed on the riding spot. The park ranger from the park that has land adjacent to lower O has been receiving phone calls from local residents. He's not going to squeal to anyone, but this goes to show that the cars and trucks are drawing the ire of residents. This is bad.

Park down the road a ways, either at the bottom of the hill in that large turn out area at the intersection, or on the other side of the hill. If you want to keep this site, the extra 400 yards of riding shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, there are now a couple jumps visible from the road. Those need to go. That makes things way too visible. The great thing about lower O is that it's hidden. Keep it that way....and that means trying to keep the 50's off the lot too. I know we can't stop someone from bringing a 50 out there, but I also know one guy who rides mt bikes out there also brings a 50. He has the IQ of a snail.

Anyway, happy riding, and keep it stealth.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
What the hell are the people complaining about? Oh no theres cars on the side of the road? Big deal theres plenty of room for parking, the reason I park right at the gate is because I carry down a big camera and its a pain, usualy I dont even ride my bike down there. Its funny too because you park at the gate too.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
merrrrjig said:
What the hell are the people complaining about? Oh no theres cars on the side of the road? Big deal theres plenty of room for parking, the reason I park right at the gate is because I carry down a big camera and its a pain, usualy I dont even ride my bike down there. Its funny too because you park at the gate too.
I live far away, but we have the same problem. While you might think that the cars don't present a problem, you must look at others' point of view. We have a trail here that people insist on parking IN the turnaround of the street, instead of a designated lot for all users of the land. :thumb:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
merrrrjig said:

I don't even ride there anymore, and I've never parked at the gate. When I've ridden there, I've either parked in the residential area just above, or I've ridden my bike down from my house. My roomie parked about 200 yards up the road on Saturday and I rode with him, but he agrees that further away is better and won't be parking there again.

Here's the deal.
Fact-Lower O is on private property.
Fact-There are "No Trespassing" signs up telling us not to be there.
Fact-There have been complaints by overprotective parents when their son goes there and gets hurt.
Fact-When a lot of attention is directed toward a spot such as this, there is a high probability that it will be bull-dozed / torn down, if not patrolled and enforced by the OC Sheriff Dept.

Don't be an a$$hole, just park at the bottom of the hill.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Hey, there is no reason to get mad at one particular person ( My brother Merrrr). We all know we've all parked right in front, including you Hefe. I dont wanna cause trouble either. All I know is that last time I talked to the ranger, he was chill and wanted to see us jump!! He just said dont build in Whitting Ranch. And for all I know, the ranger shouldnt get pissed because its not his property. And it not your either HEFE!! I dont want to be a dick or anything but you sound like you're king of the place. Just chill and have fun. You say you dont go there any more then why make a big deal about it.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
So king of the hill jefe where are your riding now? And I have witnesses that say they have seen you parked at the gate before :mumble: ! Yep Jdog (stabprimo) said he saw you parked there before.

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Encinitas, its near San Diego
GOD DAMN...Stop pointing fingers around like little girls. Your obviously to young to actually know that places DO get bulldozed, it doesn’t matter how "sick" it is, or if the ranger wants to see you do jumps...He doesn’t control shat. All it takes is one hurt child and one lawsuit and it’s all gone. It's not going to kill you to park down the street and walk, or if it is have someone drop you off at the gate then park it.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Really, it doesn't matter who has or hasn't parked there before. The point is, there's a solid reason to not to do it now. Not only are neighborhood complaints likely to lead to law enforcement action at this spot, they are likely to factor into future access and trailhead decisions in your area. This is not unique to OC; it's just local gov't in action.

In my local area, I know of 2 stunts torn down in the last month, both because they were built visible from the street or nearby trail. Another set of stunts was torn down a few months ago because the builders were indiscrete, noisy, and angered an adjacent resident.

A few legitimate reasons residents don't like folks parking in their neighborhood to use a park or riding spot are noise, litter, and extra traffic.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Ya we dont know what bulldozing is, lets see, the dip in san cleo, headlands, every single jump in san juan capistrano, lake forest, slater. But you know what there will always be another place to build new jumps. and the count on injured riders is a broken arm i think on one kid and a broken color bone, another thing is, is that it cant realy get too messed up, It gets plowed every spring but they cant get the tractors into the jumps, its too steep. so get over it!

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
how much work have you put into building some of that stuff merrrr, is it really worth it to park at a convenient location and have all of your work bulldozed? is it too much to have to walk a couple hundred more yards so that the jumps stay? i mean, come on. i know you're lazy, but this is kinda stupid. just park down the street, put ur camera in a backpack and ride up the hill. you'll be wishing that you had when they bulldoze the place. Jefe has a good point, it's private property. its probably owned by the irvine company and they dont give a ****. but the fact of the matter is that there are "no trespassing" signs which means that they dont want you there. I'll admit to parking by the gate, but I can safely say that i wont do it again, nobody wants this to be another lake forest.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
merrrrjig said:
What the hell are the people complaining about?
Doesn't matter - they are complaining, and that means more attention than anyone wants...

Is it really too much to ask to be more discrete? Meet at the shopping plaza and only take 1 truck to get all your stuff there. Then park only 1 truck around the corner in the residential area, because we all know that those residents will be bitching if there are a bunch of trucks and cars with bikes all the time...

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
weman788 said:
Hey, there is no reason to get mad at one particular person ( My brother Merrrr). We all know we've all parked right in front, including you Hefe.
No, I have not parked in front of there since I found Lower O. I think like a year and a half ago I parked there when I was building something else on a different line (got dozed), but since I realized there's a whole playground down there, I haven't parked out front of the gate. Maybe you mistake me for someone else? I sold my gold V10 to a guy who has parked there a lot, so maybe that's who you think I am? (He left my name on the bike for a while)
I dont wanna cause trouble either. All I know is that last time I talked to the ranger, he was chill and wanted to see us jump!! He just said dont build in Whitting Ranch. And for all I know, the ranger shouldnt get pissed because its not his property. And it not your either HEFE!! I dont want to be a dick or anything but you sound like you're king of the place. Just chill and have fun. You say you dont go there any more then why make a big deal about it.
If you don't want to cause trouble, then don't build in the sight line of the road, and don't park out front. The Ranger isn't pissed at all, and you're right, he does want to see us jump- but he also knows as I do (I guess with age comes wisdom) that too much attention is going to get the place bulldozed. Now pull your head out of your a$$ and quit parking there.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
merrrrjig said:
Ya we dont know what bulldozing is, lets see, the dip in san cleo, headlands, every single jump in san juan capistrano, lake forest, slater. But you know what there will always be another place to build new jumps. and the count on injured riders is a broken arm i think on one kid and a broken color bone, another thing is, is that it cant realy get too messed up, It gets plowed every spring but they cant get the tractors into the jumps, its too steep. so get over it!

I see you and your brother both fell out of the retard tree. Fine logic you have going there - we've lost a lot of other good spots, so why not screw up and lose this one? They can get equipment down there very easily, and it is at risk. Me get over it? I don't think so. The reason I don't ride that spot right now is because it's too overpopulated and I don't want to be part of the problem. It's hacks like you that fock it up for the rest of us. More people should exercise restraint and stop hitting that spot up every damn chance they get. Once things slow down and less people are coming around, maybe I'll make my way over there again.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
I shungry Hank Hank Greene? HAHA, and the matter of the fact. lol
You make me laugh. Have you ever even been there Mustang, you live pretty far away to even know about it. Whatever, I'm over it. That place has gotten waaay to big and scary for me to go out there any more :rolleyes:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
merrrrjig said:
So king of the hill jefe where are your riding now? And I have witnesses that say they have seen you parked at the gate before :mumble: ! Yep Jdog (stabprimo) said he saw you parked there before.
Nope. As I mentioned before, it may have been my old frame that still had my name on it, but it wasn't me. I ride a white V10 (new style). I've only taken my old gold V10 down there once (over a year ago) and I rode down the hill on my Kona Cowan a couple times before I sold it. Again, I did park there once about a year and a half ago when building nearby, but once I realized Lower O was there, I started either riding down, or parking about a quarter mile away.

BTW- I'm riding a couple spots that I damn sure am not going to tell assjacks like you about.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Wanna tell a team member? By the way, are you getting a M3? You're on the team rite? I'm still not sure if I'm gunna be on the team I just dunno know yet. Do you know a way I can contact Steve? His Cell Phone broke and I dont know his Home phone

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Quit whining, quit pointing fingers, and quit parking in front. We've lost numerous spots around the OC area wthin the last few years, the last thing we need is this one gone. The jumps by the road won't be there by the week's end. If you feel it necessary to go, pick up any and all trash, even if it isn't yours, don't park there, try and keep it quiet, etc. Don't ruin a good thing.

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
Hey, my brother and I put that EZ up down there, and cleaned up all the trash into the trash can. The next day we went down there, the trash was all over the ground and the EZ up was on the floor ruined. So dont be bitchen about lceaning up trash. I kinda wanna know what kinda bike Ya'll ride, just to make sure you guys arent bitchen about trash and parking then you all do it!. What ever, like I said before, I'm over that place.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
weman788 said:
Wanna tell a team member? By the way, are you getting a M3? You're on the team rite? I'm still not sure if I'm gunna be on the team I just dunno know yet. Do you know a way I can contact Steve? His Cell Phone broke and I dont know his Home phone

I haven't talked to him in a couple weeks, but PM me for his new cell number.

El Jefe said:
BTW- I'm riding a couple spots that I damn sure am not going to tell assjacks like you about.

Oh, be reasonable. It's not like we will go to the spot, park in front of people's houses, leave our car stereo on while talking to our buddies about how Fockin Rad something is, was or shall be, and then drop trash in the area. You old guys are grouchy, man!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
EBasil said:
Oh, be reasonable. It's not like we will go to the spot, park in front of people's houses, leave our car stereo on while talking to our buddies about how Fockin Rad something is, was or shall be, and then drop trash in the area. You old guys are grouchy, man!

LOL!!

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
EBasil said:
You forgot to include your usual comments on bad hygiene, odors, and music selection.

Please correct yourself.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
EBasil said:
The closest house are like 2 miles away, so w/e about these jumps were just gunna ride them till there gone, which prolly wont happen, but of course theres only like 4 jumps that you could rebuild in a day.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
merrrrjig said:
The closest house are like 2 miles away, so w/e about these jumps were just gunna ride them till there gone, which prolly wont happen, but of course theres only like 4 jumps that you could rebuild in a day.
umm, he was providing a bit of humorous commentary on how many riders approach private riding spots (or even open public trails), but I guess it was lost on you.

I'm really disappointed at your attitude toward this spot, and riding in general. Yes we're poaching a spot, but the least we can do is minimize our visible impact, and protect the area for other riders.

BTW- there are houses less than half a mile from the entrance, and for them to reach their homes, most drive right past this spot (I know, because I live in the neighborhood).

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Just to inform you guys about the Lake Forest jumps...they were demo'd because of land development. The City of Lake Forest knew about the jumps a long time ago, the Sheriff knew about the jumps a long time ago, the land owner knew about the jumps 5 years ago, and all of the neighbors knew about the jumps in their neighborhood. The land was surveyed 2 years ago by an Architect and I was not surprized at all to see the jumps plowed. Yes, 50's received complaints all the time (the police chopper flew over us everytime 50's were in the area), and yes, the cops would stop us on occation for parking in front of entrance/exits to the surrounding streets, but in the end, land development is what ended Lake Forest.

I don't see the land owner (at the "o") spending money to plow down jumps in a hole in the "back 40" of his lot, especially if they border Whitting Ranch. The land owner is only going to maintain the brush on his lot each year as required. I know who the land owner is (it would be a terrible idea to publicise the name on the internet though) and they have absolutely no time to see what we are doing to the land. I do agree that we should not park close to the entrance on busy weekends and jumps should not be visible from the street as they could cause a traffic hazard.

There is no need for finger pointing and bi***ing at eachother...it will never solve problems!

BTW - Green Cannondale Gemini / Gray/Black Haro

Homey said:
I don't see the land owner (at the "o") spending money to plow down jumps in a hole in the "back 40" of his lot, especially if they border Whiting Ranch. The land owner is only going to maintain the brush on his lot each year as required. I know who the land owner is (it would be a terrible idea to publicise the name on the internet though) and they have absolutely no time to see what we are doing to the land.
For the landowner, this is a super-sketchy situation, which is why any reasonably intelligent landowner is trapped into spending money to bulldoze stuff like that if there is an incident on the property, a pattern of people parking there, obvious use, etc... that could be used to show that the landowner knew, or should have known, that the natural features of the land had been "altered" in a manner that could result in injury to persons either trespassing or using the land for recreational purposes. This is because those conditions I just described invalidate the immunity from liability the landowner has under the "California Recreational Use Immunity Statute".

So, if the poor sap(s) that own the land we're yakking about DO know, or get put in a position where they become aware of the jumps because of people's conduct, then they have a HUGE incentive to bulldoze the lot AND to file the little, one sheet authorization for the local Po Po to arrest trespassers. THAT covers their asses when riders with skill sets like I have show up, crash our brains out and then start looking for free money...

The moral of that story has something to do with why it's important to "go stealth" with such construction and riding activities. It doesn't have to be about hiding the cherries from other riders, but just becomes that way when other riders are too lazy, stupid or inconsiderate to keep the Stealth Mode activated.

Plus, some of them smell because of their music.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
EBasil said:
The moral of that story has something to do with why it's important to "go stealth" with such construction and riding activities. It doesn't have to be about hiding the cherries from other riders, but just becomes that way when other riders are too lazy, stupid or inconsiderate to keep the Stealth Mode activated.

Plus, some of them smell because of their music.
Thanks! We can always count on you for ruining one of your always educational post with some vitriol. Nice touch. ;)

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
EBasil said:
For the landowner, this is a super-sketchy situation, which is why any reasonably intelligent landowner is trapped into spending money to bulldoze stuff like that if there is an incident on the property, a pattern of people parking there, obvious use, etc... that could be used to show that the landowner knew, or should have known, that the natural features of the land had been "altered" in a manner that could result in injury to persons either trespassing or using the land for recreational purposes. This is because those conditions I just described invalidate the immunity from liability the landowner has under the "California Recreational Use Immunity Statute".

So, if the poor sap(s) that own the land we're yakking about DO know, or get put in a position where they become aware of the jumps because of people's conduct, then they have a HUGE incentive to bulldoze the lot AND to file the little, one sheet authorization for the local Po Po to arrest trespassers. THAT covers their asses when riders with skill sets like I have show up, crash our brains out and then start looking for free money...
What he said.

Think about what happened at Big Bear. Or check out the thread about Calabasas in San Jose, which got shut down as the result of a lawsuit over some poor kid breaking his neck. Be discrete, and don't break your necks, for God's sake.