Quantcast

Lower Woodland Park Closure?

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Yesterday morning I met up with some friends to watch them rhythm and was interupted by a group of city parks committee/forestry service workers. Evidently they are finally doing something about the soil errosion that has been gnawing away some of the lower bits at the northernmost part of the Dirt Jumps for the last decade I've known about it. Unfortunatly they blamed it all on "bikers". I decided to put my big boy pants on and my diplomatic hat and just join the meeting as if I was invited. It's funny how encumbered they are just as all other aspects of Government as we know it. The leader of the project seems to know exactly what we need to do and also seemed bike user friendly. I'm confident that we can make a good impression with him if we WORK HARD to keep these trails. I've taken contacts and will be posting here from now on to maintain communication and volunteer possibilities to insure future riding there.

IMPORTANT: NO MORE DIGGING on the wooded areas above the dirt jumps! It's obvious that someone dug right at the base of a couple trees just to put a lame kicker lip (poorly placed anywise) above it for a (get ready for the sick stunt!) 3ft transfer.

ALSO: If you aren't apart of IMBA then why are you riding a bike you cheapskate? (JK) We do need to step up in advocacy of singletrack like this and other areas that could be potential riding spots.

ALSO ALSO: We need to be resourseful about this. As usual, the only thing stopping them from doing anything is lack of funding. If we the riders are funding this either through volunteer, materials, or good ol' hard currency there will be little reason for them to deny us.

It would seem to me that the "freeriding" aspect of riding here may not be sustainable unless some heavy duty effort is put forth to convince that committee and the powers that be of funds necessary and the sweat to put in retainer walls, water bars, directional singletrack control, etc.

Here is the info, please be profesional about it.

Seattle Parks and Recreation

Don Allen
Crew Chief of Operations Division
North Central Parks District
8061 Densmore Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103-4436 cell: 206.423.0928 fax: 206.684.4957
email: don.allen@seattle.gov

Thanks for maintaining a great forum (known of it for years, now a nooB)

Joel Moreland

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Does anyone have contact info for the "CEO" of the dirt jumps there? I've met him a couple times and chatted with him this week but no dice on info: Greg is his name.

jOeL

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
greg?

I don't know any greg but I do know Gary Dunlop, the guy who is responsible for the jumps being there.(he's the guy that went to the city about 12 years ago or so) and I know Carl Buchannan who is the main guy that FIXES the jumps. I also know who the 'jerks' are that built those stupid kicker jumps at the end under the trees.

it's been known since day one that there wasn't supposed to be any diggin in the hill area. the jumps were only supposed to be on the flat part. they were also only supposed to be four feet tall.....

I'll will alert the guys that I know about this situation.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Is IMBA not interested in an XC and CX practice area? Since it's a city park I could see why they wouldn't maybe, but I'm new to this. I've been taking my riding spots for granted and it struck a nerve to listen to old women that hadn't even walked those trails in years go on and on about how we the bikers are destroying it all. At least there was ballance in the Maintenance and City crew who knew better.

...just lookin' for answers...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Petite Fluer said:
Do want you want, just don't light it on fire...
Not sure what your trying to convey, but if your saying build what you want at lower woodland, you need to go away.
A group of people, Gary Dunlop being the most prominent, went to numerous meetings, and spent many HOURS over the course of several months working with parks and rec to get them to stop bulldozing the jumps every two weeks. Before that it was a constant battle - P&R would dump a load of dirt or cintrex (crushed brick - used to love playing soccer on that stuff!) and the kids and kids at heart would build some jumps. Just as the jumps would get broken in, P&R would come in and flatten them or re-arrange the piles.
The rules laid out to the people getting the ok was the jumps were to go no farther north than the edge of the baseball field (or somewhere close to that) and weren't supposed to go up the hillside at all.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
trailhacker- did you used to go to greenlake 12 or so years ago? (about the time Dunlop started talking to the city I think...)

as for XC and mtn. bikey stuff, the jumps at the bottom are supposed to be the only thing the bikers ride. there used to be jumps all over the walking/hiking trails there but the city said "stop" and asked/told bikers to only have jumps in the location they are now.

I used to see cyclocross guys in the area, YEARS ago. but they didn't ride the jumps, they just ran around in the hills, carrying their bikes on their shoulders.....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
pnj said:
trailhacker- did you used to go to greenlake 12 or so years ago? (about the time Dunlop started talking to the city I think...)
Yes. Always on my mountain bike although I rode a GHP cruiser with 24" Tuffwheels (OLD SCHOOL!) for a while unitl I broke the heattube off.
I more or less build the berm-to-berm section just above the first jumps but they never caught on and the DJer's found a better use for the dirt.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
trailhacker said:
Yes. Always on my mountain bike although I rode a GHP cruiser with 24" Tuffwheels (OLD SCHOOL!) for a while unitl I broke the heattube off.
I more or less build the berm-to-berm section just above the first jumps but they never caught on and the DJer's found a better use for the dirt.
I think I remember those berms. kinda small...if I remember correctly...