Quantcast

Lowering 29" Pike to 100mm?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone know if this is possible? No RS support for it but I have read that a 27.5" 120mm/26" 130mm air spring will do the trick. (2016 model in my case...)

Or can I cut and re-tap an existing air shaft?

I don't know enough about the air spring mechanism and the placement of the air transfer port and all to make heads or tails of this one without some expert assistance. Thx-

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone know if this is possible? No RS support for it but I have read that a 27.5" 120mm/26" 130mm air spring will do the trick. (2016 model in my case...)

Or can I cut and re-tap an existing air shaft?

I don't know enough about the air spring mechanism and the placement of the air transfer port and all to make heads or tails of this one without some expert assistance. Thx-
I know I did it. I do not remember anything about it.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Just put a spacer between the top out bumper (C) and the piston(B). You can make it have a larger negative chamber than stock if you make the diameter smaller, or you can keep the stock negative chamber size by making your spacer the same diameter as the inside of the tube.

2021-rockshox-pike-debonair-air-spring-internals-1.jpg

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks! Is that going to lower the fork, or just restrict travel at the current a-c height?

I assume it lowers it, similar to a shorter main and a spacer on the top-out spring to make up the diff with a coil setup, but just want to check my understanding.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, that's a cool way to save the price on a Luftkappe which I was thinking of adding to allow an increased air pressure for the shorter travel...

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yes thats going to reduce the extended length, just like a shorter air shaft. Its how most of the brands that arent RS or Fox do adjustable length forks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just put a spacer between the top out bumper (C) and the piston(B). You can make it have a larger negative chamber than stock if you make the diameter smaller, or you can keep the stock negative chamber size by making your spacer the same diameter as the inside of the tube.

View attachment 187080

Won't that prevent the seal from passing the balance port? That could make for some unpredictable behavior. The forks that I have had that use spacers for travel adjustment don't use an air chamber for the negative spring.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Won't that prevent the seal from passing the balance port? That could make for some unpredictable behavior. The forks that I have had that use spacers for travel adjustment don't use an air chamber for the negative spring.
i guess you’re right there. I forgot that the balance port was near top out.So you do need to physically shorten the air shaft.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I run a nonboost pike29 in 100mm by using this airshaft: 00.4019.931.011
It's not officially supported, but it works fine, as long as you use a lot of volume spacers in the positive chamber.