Quantcast

Lowering a fork ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I have a coil fork that I need to lower the travel by 2". I can put a spacer between negative spring and spring perch then cut 2" off the coil. I could also shorten the spring perch rod 2" and that would leave the coil the same length. Do I need to shorten the spring w/ the reduced travel ( more spring rate) ? Or will it be too soft w/ the full length spring ? Thanks.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the spring rate is the spring rate (ie x lbs per inch of travel). length of spring does not matter, that only effect the overall travel of the spring.

you might be able to pack the perch with grease, put some oil in the top, and use a air top cap to add 5-10psi to gain the spring weight you need.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Actually, Marshal, length does matter when you're cutting a spring. More specifically, number of coils. If you cut coils off a spring, you reduce the number of active coils, which makes it stiffer. It's how progressively wound springs work- the coils that are wound close together coil bind sooner than the rest, which reduces the number of active coils and stiffens the spring.

If I recall (I'm pretty sure, but haven't checked in awhile), if you remove 10% of the active coils, the spring rate becomes 10% stiffer.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
yes, you are right. the stiffness per inch (or per coil) does not change, but the over rate of the spring will change. thanks for pointing that out.

my apologies.

Last edited: