Quantcast

Lowering a fox float

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
got an 831, lowered it 20mm with float spacers, tape measure still says there is 4 inches of stanchion, did i lower my A2C or just **** my travel?

Anybody have a stock 831 that sits with 5 inches of stanchion showing?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You did it wrong.
what is the correct way, the fork can be set as high as 120mm (comes stock dropped to 100) by using 20mm of float spacers, i purchased an additional 20mm worth of spacers, and put them right under the original 2 spacers(as the directions said) this is what i got, unfortunately i forgot to measure it at the original height, and do not want to take the fork apart.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
what is the correct way, the fork can be set as high as 120mm (comes stock dropped to 100) by using 20mm of float spacers, i purchased an additional 20mm worth of spacers, and put them right under the original 2 spacers(as the directions said) this is what i got, unfortunately i forgot to measure it at the original height, and do not want to take the fork apart.
I mean, if you've got the directions, you know the right way. There are a bunch of ways you could have done the assembly wrong, I'm not about to play e-mechanic and guess all of them.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I mean, if you've got the directions, you know the right way. There are a bunch of ways you could have done the assembly wrong, I'm not about to play e-mechanic and guess all of them.
well knowing, and getting the results are a little different in my case :confused:
wasnt sure how they worked, i assumed 80mm of travel, 85mm of gold, im seeing more than i "should", i ask because the older marz forks could be limited, but all you could accomplish without a nemesis tune was bottoming out sooner.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You did it correctly. You're fine.

If you want to know how much travel you really have, let all the air out and bottom it. Exposed stanchion doesn't always mean that's how much travel you have.
Any way to lower the A2C, im trying to steep the HA and drop the front a little bit, if its sitting at 4 inches, i might as well use 4 inches.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
just measured my stock one with 4" of stanction showing, so you did something wrong, the a2c should drop if you put a spacer in, when i lowered a 140mm float i put in 50mm of spacers and it actually dropped down to 90mm

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You did it correctly. You're fine.

If you want to know how much travel you really have, let all the air out and bottom it. Exposed stanchion doesn't always mean that's how much travel you have.
Yeah, but he made it sound like he didn't lose any a-c height when he lowered it, and that's not right.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yeah, but he made it sound like he didn't lose any a-c height when he lowered it, and that's not right.
that is correct, I lowered it right (at least it looks like).

Just remeasured: WITHOUT the stupid metal hook on the tape measure, its just a hair under 4 inches of gold (3 and high change)

I measured from the yellow part of the tape measure resting on the seal, to the end of the gold. This make sense to anybody, its the first time i lowered a fork, last 1 was a nemesis job.

It makes sense that with 3 inches of travel, it needs AT LEAST 3.01 inches of tube, but i am not sure how close they call it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
that is correct, I lowered it right (at least it looks like).

Just remeasured: WITHOUT the stupid metal hook on the tape measure, its just a hair under 4 inches of gold (3 and high change)

I measured from the yellow part of the tape measure resting on the seal, to the end of the gold. This make sense to anybody, its the first time i lowered a fork, last 1 was a nemesis job.

It makes sense that with 3 inches of travel, it needs AT LEAST 3.01 inches of tube, but i am not sure how close they call it.
For one thing, 80mm is a little over 3", and it also sounds like your measuring isn't all that precise. You're fine, go ride it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok cool, but ill take it 1 step further, i search 80mm float into pinkbike, most of the forks look like this

that is the height i was trying to get, just to steepen the HA a little more. is that actually 60?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
as said earlier my stock 100mm set 831 shows 4" of stanction, to be exact like 3.9" is showing. so yes for some reason something isnt going right with yours. try again and see if you get the result your looking for

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
problem "solved" called fox and double checked eveything, my problem is that im running alot of pressure in the air side, which essentially "pulls" the fork up. if i run the normal 50-75 PSI it sits right at 80, but with that PSI, it feels like my DH fork, put 100 psi in it (max) and it sits 3.75 inches, jacked up the LSC and it rides way better, but still not where i want it, may buy another spacer, make it a "70"

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
:busted: i still dont entirely understand it, how i can mash spacers in it, and effectively have them not matter, but whatever, another few spacers it is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Put enough air pressure in, and the top out bumper gets mashed, thus extending the fork a bit.