Quantcast

Lowering an Argyle 318

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
So I just put on my 318 and I am planning to lower it to 80mm or so. I have researched this and have found the directions to do it but I have a couple of quick questions for anyone who has already done it.

I take out the large spacer (labeled as # 14 in the RS tech manual) and place in between the negative spring and the top (black) part of the shaft. That is easy and I can figure this out.

Do I need to take off the lowers in order to do this? I know I have to drain the oil, pull apart the left side and all that.... Just wondering if the shaft comes out without removing the lowers.

Also I assume that nothing has to be done to the Motion Control side, correct??

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i had to experiment on mine so here is what i learned.
it gets confusing cause i thought that you put the large spacer under the negative but that makes it so the spring sits wrong in the top cap. so what you do is put the little spacers (preload spacers) that came with it and that are already between the topcap and the large spacer. just get 6 of them or so and it should be about 20mm. another option is to measure the large spacer you are talking about and cut it so its just long enough to clear the top cap. then put the piece you cut with the little spacers under the negative spring.
does this make sense?
also to get the internals out just undo the top cap then turn the fork upside down and undo the allen wrench bolt on the bottom of the leg. don't undo it all the way cause you have to use a rubber mallet and pound it and it will pop the internals loose. then you undo the bolt the rest of the way and the internals should then come out. once you have put the spacers under the negative spring then put it all back in and close it back up.
so hope that helped.
now the question that i have is how do you get the 30ml of oil back in the bottom of the fork where it came from? can you just dump it in the top?

now the question that i have is how do you get the 30ml of oil back in the bottom of the fork where it came from? can you just dump it in the top?

Me too.
A few weeks ago i did the 1st oil change on my 07 318.
The 30 ml that lubicates the bottom of the fork i used a syringe to inject it into the lower with the bike upside down and bolts tapped in(underside of lower).
15 on the cartridge side i think.
Anyhoo, it din't seem to want to accept the total volume so i added a few cc's through the top cap .
Fork feeling good but just wondering........:monkey:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Just finished. It worked like a dream. I took all 4 white spacers that came with the fork plus one left over from my Totem and threw the on the shaft. It was spaced perfectly to about 22mm. Put everything back together and the stiffness is perfect.

I took out the bottom bolt, gave it a tap and saved the oil that came out. When I was done I put the oil right back in. Made it easy with a brand new fork = brand new oil.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah it was rather easy. Just put the spacers on the shaft between the black section and the negative spring and re-assemble..