Quantcast

Lube or compound for Shimano press fit bb install

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Got a saint press fit bb and wondering what's the best way to install them into an alloy frame to be creak free and stay tight.

Looked around youtube and people seem to be doing it different ways. Either pressing in with grease, carbon paste, dry or a medium strength bearing retainer. Shimano's tech docs seem to point to going in dry.

from what i understand they're basically like an american bmx bb but plastic so the bearing can float inside?

Got a saint press fit bb and wondering what's the best way to install them into an alloy frame to be creak free and stay tight.

Looked around youtube and people seem to be doing it different ways. Either pressing in with grease, carbon paste, dry or a medium strength bearing retainer. Shimano's tech docs seem to point to going in dry.

from what i understand they're basically like an american bmx bb but plastic so the bearing can float inside?
Part number?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Used slick honey on the current steel frame with Shimano BB, has been creak free. Have used bearing retainer on a more problematic carbon frame. As even alloy can oxidize I would recommend some kind of grease.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I always use a little grease. Have installed two plastic-cased BBs so far, one shimano and one FSA and they are both creak free with a little mobil 1 hub grease on there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Do you guys use heat when installing bearings?

I never thought about it till I was working with motorcycles, but typically now I freeze bearings/cups/races/whatever and heat whatever's being pressed into. Obvs I've never had a crabon bike, mind you.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
also -1 for lack of excessive lube jokes. Parse that any way you like.

One hint of dry entendre, but that's all? :confused:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’ve never needed to, but I know it’s a technique.

I feel like manufacturing tolerances are better than they used to be on stuff like this.

I never thought about it till I was working with motorcycles, but typically now I freeze bearings/cups/races/whatever and heat whatever's being pressed into. Obvs I've never had a crabon bike, mind you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I do that

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

no, but i have the appropriate bearing presses (headset, BB, hadley) to avoid that manner of nonsense. i have tossed bearings & races in the freezer in the past, but i find that's not necessary on modern stuff, specifically because of things like integrated headsets, etc [edit] and as rpet mentioned, tolerances are better now. plus things like integrated headsets are machined and rely less on reaming than the old style headtubes (ie tubing)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Apples and oranges. This is an aluminum frame.
i can't remember where exactly i read it (it was the website for something like wheels mnfg or praxis works or something like that) and their recommendation was Loctite RTV silicone for both aluminum and carbon frames. i used it on my 2013 scott spark and the BB has been creak free ***knocks on wood*** note: this is also with 30mm spindle cranks

Lemke

Chimp
Aug 22, 2019
I use Loctite 641 for press fit bottom brackets... not the typical blue (242), or heaven forbid the red stuff (271). 641 is designed specifically for cylindrical fitted parts (bearings, etc.) that require frequent or not so-frequent disassembly and reassembly.