Quantcast

Lube questions (don't even go there, focus)

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I never really messed with my fork(s) before, but if I can restore a car, I think I can handle doing a fork. I'm getting ready to change my lowers on my 2010 BoXXer, should I get SRAM's oil or go with another brand? Also while I was reading the service manual, it requires that I grease the gray oil/dust cover before reinstalling the lowers. I know there's Judy Butter, Slick Honey, etc, which would be recommended?

One more question, and Stikman may be best to answer this one. What's the recommended grease to use for the bearings in the lower links on my 951?

Thanks,
Brian

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I used Judy Butter for the seals. As for the oil, from what i gathered most oils are pretty much the same with regard to fork performance. Im sure SRAM says their oil is the best and should be used but i'd just go with the least expensive personally.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Wait. You haven't ridden it yet. What are you changing? And why not just give it to Kevin at Suspension Experts and let him do it?
I got red lowers to replace the black one's. I would love to have Kevin do the work, I just don't feel like paying $100 or whatever it is when I'm pretty confident I could swap them out. If I "F" things up, then I'll send them to him, or if he can do it at a decent price then I would consider it.

Trust me, I would love nothing more then to let an expert do it, instead of me learning as I go. Maybe I should send him an e-mail asking?

It's like when I was in the Ranger's, I wasn't about to pack my own chute and jump with it. Leave it for the experts who knows what's going on.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Rockshox forks are too easy to maintain yourself, I wouldn't waste money paying someone else to do such a simple job.

+1 on the Slick Honey. As far as oil goes, I just pick up a bottle of whatever synthetic they have at the local moto shop.
Have to go with above on that. Super easy to do, and really quite an enjoyable exercise if you have a few beers (not to many otherwise u will forget to put the footnuts back on) :thumb:

Same with the oil, just a good one from the local shop. or just a good after market manufacture, like Rock oil or somthing.

Regarding Lube, well "Slide and ride" is the best out there mate! :D

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
+1 for slick honey. It is always good to have some red rum around for o-rings if you tear the fork down.

I never really messed with my fork(s) before, but if I can restore a car, I think I can handle doing a fork. I'm getting ready to change my lowers on my 2010 BoXXer

Your gonna laugh how easy it is. If u have indeed restored a car this is cake brother. Pure fluffy cake.

My only tip would be to use a syringe for squirting in the 15w lower lube oil instead of trying to pour from a measured container as the hole is small.
If your riding alot do this service more than once a year if u want your stuff tip top over the rough:D

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Slick Honey and hit your moto shop for oil...Altought I do have a friend thats swear he can tell the difference between different brand, I cant and for the amount of riding I do, I do really care.I service my fork pretty much once or twice every 2-3 weeks.

Dont send it in, personally its not so much for having to pay someone but more for the down time you wont be riding your bike.Its super easy to do and youll be done in no time...I doubt you'll have your fork back in less than an hour if you send it in...

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Slick Honey on the seals,for sure.
As for the oil,any oil from a moto shop will work.Altough my friend has been real impressed with Lucas Oil's suspension oil.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
kinda along the same topic...
what do you guys put in the gap between the oil seal and the dust wiper? some people say soak the yellow sponge thing in oil, some say leave it out and pack with grease. ive been packing it with Slick Honey with no problems. just curious what everyone else is doing...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Slick honey, Judy Butter, basic white lithium.... They all work well. Do yourself a favor though, when you get the lowers off take and wipe down the stantions with alcohol, and give it a good buffing with a Carnuba... let it dry and buff it off........ then reassemble..... Adds such a nice buttery feel.....

Oil... Any fork oil is fine, I think I have motorex in the garage right now.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I like slick honey for the seals.

As to the foam ring, the Boxxer does not have one (IMO it is throwback to old models that did not use a proper oil seal as well as a cheaper solution. Many seal kits fit several forks that take wiper/ring or wiper seal...) using all three is silly IMO. Try to find a single incidence of this (foam ring) in any industrial hydraulic application...

As for oil...the lower swap requires a little oil for bushing lube, nothing more. The purpose of this oil is to lube, protect, and coat moving parts. You do not need fork oil of any kind for this application. All you need is something that will coat and lube the sliding parts. My opinion is that synthetic motor oil is actually a better product for this as it is specifically designed for this job (vs suspension oil that is designed for viscosity stability over all else)..it shoud be better at shear, breakdown, contaminant suspension/isolation etc. I have been using mobil 1 for this application in several brands for 'bath oil' for years with great results.

Of course, damper overhaul is a completely different situation....

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I was going to mention Maxima Racing Fluids for the oil but the name slipped my mind yesterday. Push Industries uses Maxima, they tested different brands and Maxima proved to be more consistant than any other. Do a search either here or in MTBR and you can find the comparison.

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
SRAM pitstop fork oil is also MAXIMA. SRAM just rebranded it. Be sure to buy the racing type oil. Goodluck with the rebuild! I also crossed the line of being a noob at rebulding. Its very simple. If in doubt, you can always re-read again the manuals.