Quantcast

lube questions

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
greetings. a few lube Qs.

1) what are you using for chain lube in the mud?

i live in the desert, so wet is not usually an issue. i use rock n roll chain lube. it's ok. get about 3 rides before i must lube again. but, when wet, the soil (has a some clay and is fine) is quite sticky. then the wax based lube is worthless except as a grinding paste base.

often the chain does not get overwhelmed with gunk. so i could apply something. what do you use to keep the drive chain from seizing or clack clack clacking all the way home?

2) also, i need a recommendation for a good lube for the linkages on my ride.

cus i'm creak creak creakin 'n clack clack clackin on home... .

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Pedros Syn is king for the mud, but you don't want to be using it when you don't have to.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
1) Pedros Syn Lube. It's a good-quality synthetic lubricant that works well for me.

2) Um...you really shouldn't be "lubing" your linkage. The closest thing to that you should do is re-pack your bearings with grease.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
and pedros syn. why shouldn't i use it if i don't have too? expensive?
Its thick and really keeps the water and mud out, but will grease up your pant leg/whatever a lot more. I use it during the spring and mud fests, and regular lube for normal conditions.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
2) also, i need a recommendation for a good lube for the linkages on my ride.

cus i'm creak creak creakin 'n clack clack clackin on home... .
This would depend on what frame you're riding. If you have something like a VP Free, with axles going through the pivots, it's a good idea to clean and re-grease the axles with Rock N Roll Super Coat Grease from time to time. This would also be a good time to inspect your bearings and replace or repack them with grease as needed.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
If you're creaking, something's loose. Check all the pivots, mostly the main pivot, check your BB make sure it's tight, and go through everything. Lube might hide the squeak for a little while, but you want to make sure you get rid of what's causing the problem.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
If you're creaking, something's loose. Check all the pivots, mostly the main pivot, check your BB make sure it's tight, and go through everything. Lube might hide the squeak for a little while, but you want to make sure you get rid of what's causing the problem.
Depends on how well he maintains the bike. While creaking could be caused by something loose, a good amount of dirt built up on a dry axle will make quite a bit of noise as well. But it is good to go over the bolts on the bike frequently too.