Lucas calls new 'Star Wars' a titanic tearjerker

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Skookum said:
here's a better article.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/10/60minutes/main679325.shtml

tons of money, i'll do whatever the hell i want, haha more power to him.
I would like to debate this, but you are absolutely right. I will complain like a whiny b*tch about Star Wars, but I will be buying my ticket like every other idiot. Maybe, he won't make a billion dollars because people won't see it 5 times like LOTR, but he will probably make 500 million.

I like Lucas' comments about criticism on the first two movies. He says it like people wanted him to paint the house green, and he decided to paint it white. I wish Leslie Stahl said, "People wanted to see a good movie, but you made a bad one. Why?"

Frankly, everyone has to kiss Lucas' ass because he is the "Joseph Campbell", creator of our 21th century mythology. For a guy who ripped off Kurosawa and John Ford chapter and verse, I wish my generation did not annoint him as our greatest storyteller.

Even the Matrix is not held as high esteem (which is what allowed the last two Matrix sequels to die a quiet death at the box office).

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sanjuro said:
For a guy who ripped off Kurosawa and John Ford chapter and verse, I wish my generation did not annoint him as our greatest storyteller.
Yah but the list of people who could be considered ripoffs from their inspirations are numerous. Originality in anything is usually only defined through obscurity.
i'll always go back to my argument that the original trilogy WASN'T THAT GOOD. In fact i'd argue the only real positive the original trilogy has (and it's a big one, but it's never one i hear from the whiners) is the chemistry between the characters/actors. That's the true driving force that i think made those movies endearing and enduring. i think it's ridiculous about all the "nitpickers" and "purists", hell if they wanted to go back and turn Yoda and Jabba parts into CG characters in the originals i would be totally fine with it, but watch everybody else trip the hell out.
i think this next movie is gonna be great, and i like the real idea behind all of the new movies. It changed the focus in the original trilogy to be instead a redemption story on the coolest character, Darth Vader. And if they kill off Jar Jar in a cruel and painful way, all will be well in the universe.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There shouldn't be any difference between this one and the previous five. Great special effects, marginal acting, and crappy dialogue.

I will see it.