Quantcast

LUNA Summit 2010: Apr 9-11

bevin

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Some questions...

1. Do you rent a car when you arrive in SF, or do you use public transportation.
Hummm... well that depends. You can do all of it public transportation if you want to, which is the cheapest option. Sometimes it is good if you know someone with a rental car, because it can make things a little easier on departure. Here is the breakdown:
a. fly into SFO or Oakland. Can easily take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to the Berkeley area, and then it is about a 1mile walk to Clif HQ. This is what I normally do for Fri afternoon.
b. transport from Clif HQ to Mill Valley hotel. Clif always sets up a bus or vans to take folks from their HQs in Berkeley to Mill Valley on Fri night. Just need to sign up with them in advance.
c. transport from Clif HQ back to the airport. Most people fly in and out of SFO, so this is just a matter of finding some girls at the Summit who are leaving the hotel around the same time as you for the airport, and hitching a ride. To make double extra sure you are covered, you can reserve a ride from Mill Valley to the airport with the Blue Cloud Shuttle in advance. Probably about $50.
Alternately, if some one in our group decides they are motivated to 'road trip' it and drive up for the weekend, you would probably be able to coordinate with them.

2. Do you rent bikes in advance? If you are not planning on a)driving your bike up, or b) flying your bike in, YES. When Clif puts out the Summit details, they will usually put in the names of one or two bike businesses in Mill Valley we can rent bikes from. Disclaimer: TLC will host a number of bike rides during Summit, most of which are _not_ easy. Of course, do one gets dropped, but I think the easiest ride is 20miles, ave elevation gain for a ride is 1000'+.

3. Do we have to make hotel reservations? Do we all stay at the same place or just go on priceline and look for a deal? I've usually had good luck with that in the city, but don't know anything about Berkely or Mill Valley.
No worries here. Clif Bar will poll each team to find out who is coming, then they make (AND PAY!!) for all the reservations. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn in Mill Valley :)

4. Oh, what about the kit? By when do we have to know what size to order?
Yikes! This is coming up. Sugoi has always been our manufacturer, so reference their size chart. This year, it looks like we are supposed to plug this information in online... they are requesting by 8 Jan.

OK! So hope this helps. Feel free to post additional FAQs to this message.

~Miss B

bevin

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
OOps! One more question: 5. Cost estimate for trip? A
Alot depends on getting up there. As I put out, prices now for the SAN to SFO are Really Cheep at about $140 r/t. Then you pay for no hotel. Public transportation= $20-$70 depending on if you are carpooling back the the airport. Food is covered from Fri night through Sun lunch, so you'd only need to pay for a meal/snacks on the way up and back= $20?? All in all pretty cheap for a weekend of Mega Fun with the other Lunas from across the country. I'd say $200-$250. Now there will also is usually some additional apparel for sale so you may want to bring a little spending money... never a bad idea.

bevin

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Hi Ladies,

How's it going?? Hope everyone had a nice Christmas :) Sorry I have been 'off the grid' for a bit... work has been really hectic, and I have been just trying to keep my head above water with that (!)

As you may remember, the annual Luna Summit will be Apr 9-11, 2010 (Fri-Sun) up in the San Francisco area. Right now, Virgin Airlines has some really great deals for San Diego to SFO - I got my round trip ticket for a grand total of $136!! So, if you are planning on flying, recommend checking out Virgin soon.

For the Summit, we usually meet in Berkeley at Clif HQ on Fri PM at 6:00pm or so for a dinner. Recommend landing in SFO by 4:00pm at the latest in order to be on time for the dinner. On Sun, we are usually leaving Mill Valley by noon, and I would plan at least an hour to get from the Mill Valley location back to SFO.

If you have any further questions on the logistics - definitely hook up with one of the 'veterans' - Denise, Laura, or me and we can fill you in on more details. Let's also start a thread regarding Summit logistics on Ride Monkey as well.

~Miss Bevin

czogrady

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Here's my two cents to the question "What exactly do we do there?"

There are several mandatory group sessions on Luna business and information sharing. When we aren't in conference, there are plenty of physical activites and lectures to choose from.

Last year I did a trail run, yoga, a chi running techinique clinic, a cross-fit session, a class on how to use a heart monitor, and a couple others I can't remember. (It was kind of like our Bella camp last year) I remember there were also some bay and pool swims I didn't do.

Luna will send us a schedule of events ahead of time and ask us to choose what we will attend. I'll make the decision of whether to bring a bike or not after I see what's on the "buffet".

And don't forget we get our new kits - have to try those on and get a group photo!!

Hope this helps.

Cindy