Quantcast

Lunch Thread

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jimmydean said:
:stupid:

It makes it a "tomato based veggie stew that may or may not be spicy". But I doubt that would look good on a label for product marketing.
I wonder why they bothered to call it "chili" then. You would think they would just call it "beef stew".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tenchiro said:
Tomato!?! You're just as bad as Echo... There ain't no damn tomato in chili either! :mumble:

:oink:
I didn't say it was chili, I said it was tomato based stew, sheesh.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jimmydean said:
From Wikipedia:
Chili con carne (or simply chili)...
You realize "con carne" means "with meat" don't you? I'm an omnivore but you might try another example. You don't need meat for chili.

But thanks for some ideas, I am going for sushi for lunch today.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
That settles it, I am gonna get a couple pounds of beef on the way home and make some chili.

Damn, Now I am hungry again.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I'ts okay Echo...when all the meat eaters either die from mad cow disease or freak out and die when they can't eat steroided cow anymore...and by that time, most other meats from land too because we contaminated it all....we'll still be eating what we like...

animals are your friends...not your dinner...

actually eat whatever you want....I don't really care...:)

and for some of you who live under a rock...they have pretty much every kind of soy meat you could think of...pepperoni, hamburger, ham, chick patties, riblets...etc.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
goodtobeIrie said:
I'ts okay Echo...when all the meat eaters either die from mad cow disease or freak out and die when they can't eat steroided cow anymore...and by that time, most other meats from land too because we contaminated it all....we'll still be eating what we like...
At that point, vegetarians will be the new "beef".

goodtobeIrie said:
and for some of you who live under a rock...they have pretty much every kind of soy meat you could think of...pepperoni, hamburger, ham, chick patties, riblets...etc.
Soy meat?!? :help:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
beef tartare...

:drool:

i've heard you can order chicken sashimi in japan.
I know someone who serves turkey sashimi just about every thanksgiving. :eek:

Echo, I hear what you're saying but we've evolved in other ways too. We are not covered in hair anymore either - at least, most of us are not. :) I try to avoid chemicals and processed foods as much as I can, and I feel confident eating most of the meat I eat very rare or raw (in some cases). Most vegans and vegetarians I know eat a lot of bio-engineered produce and other processed foods laced with all kinds of preservatives and chemicals - you might be the exception but if not, spare us your portrayal of you as a gatherer of acorns and berries, grower of your own wheat, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think some of the soy meat subsitute is pretty tasty, but as far as natural? That crap goes through more processing than a slab of beef that came from a cow that grew off of an IV drip and a feeding tube.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
goodtobeIrie said:
please don't tell me they make soy bacon, because that would just be wrong.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
what did your post (post #20, which i was replying to) have to do w/ chili?

:confused:
Coming up with one type of meat that can sometimes be eaten without cooking (although it does make some people sick and a vast majority of people don't eat it) proves what?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
OGRipper said:
You realize "con carne" means "with meat" don't you? I'm an omnivore but you might try another example. You don't need meat for chili.

But thanks for some ideas, I am going for sushi for lunch today.
I was talking about the (or simply) portion of that example.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Coming up with one type of meat that can sometimes be eaten without cooking (although it does make some people sick and a vast majority of people don't eat it) proves what?
proves yr blanket statement was even worse than mine.

the vast majority of people watch too much TV too.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you ever take a course on invertebrates and learn about all of the things you can get from eating uncooked meat I can assure you will never eat any kind of meat that is uncooked including fish.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm fully aware that most produce is full of chemicals. But you gotta eat something. I'm just of the opinion that all those antibiotics that chickens and cows are shot up with their entire lives to keep them alive long enough to kill for food, I don't think that goes away. So you eat it.

The reason people don't take antibiotics all the time is because eventually your body's natural immune system will stop working. So these animals you are eating have crippled immune systems and the meat is laced with antibiotics (some of which are probably not approved for humans).

Not to mention BSE (mad cows disease). How confident are you that a farmer who sells meat by the pound will carefully remove the brain and spinal materials from what he's putting on the shelf at the grocery? How closely do you think the government tracks this? What percentage of cows coming into the US are checked for BSE? How long after you contract BSE do the symptoms show up? How often do BSE deaths get misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
goodtobeIrie said:
animals are your friends...not your dinner...
I have many animal friends. I have 4 chickens that supply my family fresh eggs every morning, but I wouldn't dare southern fry them.

My rule is simple, I don't eat things I have given a name. Even though I have been told rabbit stew is yummy, I couldn't think of killing "Flower" for dinner. I would stick to veggies at that point.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
GumbaFish said:
please don't tell me they make soy bacon, because that would just be wrong.
oh ya...if you're a real bacon lover and you eat this the next day...you'll probably think it sucks...but if you haven't eaten meat in years and years and you really miss the salty flavor of bacon...it's F'in awesome...but I also liked my bacon cooked crispy so the fatty edges didn't fling back at me when i bit into it either...flesh is so nasty to me...but it's here, so someone's got to eat it...glad it's not me though...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Oh and that's just the tip of the iceberg by the way.

Did you know it's illegal to feed animal products to animals that are grown for food? Did you know that many farmers do it anyway? How long before chickens, turkeys and pigs start carrying BSE? Like I said, eat whatever you want, but I ain't eatin' it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Echo said:
I'm fully aware that most produce is full of chemicals. But you gotta eat something. I'm just of the opinion that all those antibiotics that chickens and cows are shot up with their entire lives to keep them alive long enough to kill for food, I don't think that goes away. So you eat it.

The reason people don't take antibiotics all the time is because eventually your body's natural immune system will stop working. So these animals you are eating have crippled immune systems and the meat is laced with antibiotics (some of which are probably not approved for humans).

Not to mention BSE (mad cows disease). How confident are you that a farmer who sells meat by the pound will carefully remove the brain and spinal materials from what he's putting on the shelf at the grocery? How closely do you think the government tracks this? What percentage of cows coming into the US are checked for BSE? How long after you contract BSE do the symptoms show up? How often do BSE deaths get misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's?
Currently I would say that CWD (chronic wasting disease) is becomming much more of a concern. Of course if you don't care about our deer populations or don't eat venison then its probably not something most people are familiar with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:

I try to avoid the drug injected meat too and rarely eat beef but I for one am not going to worry much about the BSE thing. There are risks involved with anything you eat. There are rare fungi that can grow on grains that cause dementia and liver failure. You can choke on a piece of rice and suffer a brain hemorrhage trying to cough it up.

I actually feel worse eating seafood because we are basically dragging the oceans clean.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
GumbaFish said:
Currently I would say that CWD (chronic wasting disease) is becomming much more of a concern. Of course if you don't care about our deer populations or don't eat venison then its probably not something most people are familiar with.
I would have thought chronic wasting disease is what goes on at Amish and Al's house :D

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
A.) I don't know this all started from a story about how Echo's chili spilled.

B.) I could care less what other people eat as long as they don't push it on me and feel they have some holy cause to tell me the evils of meat, I am a biology major and my uncle is a dairy farmer and I keep up to date with publishings on the subject I know what I am eating.

C.) There are issues with all food, remember when taco bell had their shells made with BT corn...whoops.

D.) I bet Echo's veggie chilli was damn good and I wish I had some right now because I am starving.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Echo said:
I would have thought chronic wasting disease is what goes on at Amish and Al's house :D
Recent studies have proven inconclusive about that, but most scientists would agree that is where chronic wasting disease started:)

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Westy said:
I try to avoid the drug injected meat too and rarely eat beef but I for one am not going to worry much about the BSE thing. There are risks involved with anything you eat. There are rare fungi that can grow on grains that cause dementia and liver failure. You can choke on a piece of rice and suffer a brain hemorrhage trying to cough it up.

I actually feel worse eating seafood because we are basically dragging the oceans clean.
you can always eat farmed seafood...but then again they just came out with a study saying that farmed seafood is very high in mercury and you should only eat it once a month...

not that I'm trying to make it to be some old lady sitting in a room having to have someone wipe my butt everytime I want to take a crap either...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
goodtobeIrie said:
you can always eat farmed seafood...but then again they just came out with a study saying that farmed seafood is very high in mercury and you should only eat it once a month...

not that I'm trying to make it to be some old lady sitting in a room having to have someone wipe my butt everytime I want to take a crap either...
More than likely we'll all end blowed up or starved anyway. At least those of us who aren't taken by the rapture.:dancing: :devil: :evil:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Echo said:
What's funny is that I am lucky enough to live in a place where just about everything I eat is organic and (if the labels are accurate) free of harmful chemicals and antibiotics. Including meat. I don't go to safeway or other big stores, and I can't remember the last time I ate something previously frozen or from a can. Those are choices I've made and I'm comfortable with them. For the most part the food I eat is more healthy than many vegetarians/vegans I know and they admit it.

As for the risks, I'll take those chances rather than live in fear.

Whatever, to each his/her own. We should all try to be better informed, and better custodians of the planet.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:

Definitely true. Some people try to minimize their risk in their own way, some people just don't think it will happen so they don't do anything. I do what I feel is right for me.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife and I have this talk all the time. She doesn't eat red meat and will only eat chicken every so often. I, on the other hand think the only thing that goes better with a good steak is another steak. But I stay away from most anything processed when possible.

I'm not a hunter, nor do i kill my own food. I'm a pussy and would more than likely stick to veggies if I were forced to kill what I eat.

I have respect for whatever anyone chooses to eat. But it's finally lunch time and I am hungry for a Philly Cheese Steak!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OGRipper said:
What's funny is that I am lucky enough to live in a place where just about everything I eat is organic and (if the labels are accurate) free of harmful chemicals and antibiotics. Including meat. I don't go to safeway or other big stores, and I can't remember the last time I ate something previously frozen or from a can. Those are choices I've made and I'm comfortable with them. For the most part the food I eat is more healthy than many vegetarians/vegans I know and they admit it.

As for the risks, I'll take those chances rather than live in fear.

Whatever, to each his/her own. We should all try to be better informed, and better custodians of the planet.
I wish we had Trader Joe's here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Definitely true. Some people try to minimize their risk in their own way, some people just don't think it will happen so they don't do anything. I do what I feel is right for me.
Just let me know if you give up beer and give me a chance to smack some sense into you.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
They could just as easily fertilize those fields with the poop from these infected cows. It only takes one poorly washed ear of corn and BOOM, your mad as a cow! :hot:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Just let me know if you give up beer and give me a chance to smack some sense into you.
You wouldn't get the chance, there would be about 15 people I see every day who would take care of it.