Quantcast

Lunches and Dinners, Low in Calorie and Fat?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Give me some ideas people! Ive already lost about 10lbs in a week, its going good. I am eating good portions, still probably more then the average person but I am the size of a football player sooo....

ideas?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
turkey sandwich on wheat bread, an apple, and a carton of skim milk.

as for dinners just remember to listen to your stomach. don't eat unless you're actually hungry.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Toshi said:
turkey sandwich on wheat bread, an apple, and a carton of skim milk.

as for dinners just remember to listen to your stomach. don't eat unless you're actually hungry.
What kind of dressing do you suggest for sandwiches? They are too bland without...Any things spicy?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
rockymt21 said:
What kind of dressing do you suggest for sandwiches? They are too bland without...Any things spicy?
You got to get over dressings and mayo and butter and cheese and whole milk and bacon and fried chicken. That bland taste feeling will eventually go away and you will learn to taste the food instead of all the crap people put on it.......

To loose weight you have to get your metabolism going through regular exercise......this might take you a feew weeks to a couple months to accomplish, it depends.

You have to commit to changing how you live.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
MtnBikerChk said:
nothing wrong with a little spicy mustard or a little low fat mayo (if you have to EW).
true....nothing wrong with mustard at all.......low-fat mayo has some scary stuff in it, but is ok for calorie-counting....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
No reason not to make your own mayo with Olvie Oil. It is super easy and much better for you than the crap you get in the store.

Although I wouldn't call it low fat by any means.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
For turkey sammiches. (Or just about any sammich for that matter):

:drool:

Just look for stuff that isn't loaded with high fructose corn syrup or other sugars.

I sometimes have a tough time finding good bread here. A lot of times what is packaged as "wheat bread" is just brown white bread. Look for whole grains or wheat flour in the ingredients and again, find something without the HFCS in it.

Tenchiro,

Do you have a recipe for how to make your own mayo?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you?ve got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.
I have made this one in the past, but instead of all the whisking I use the blender. The key is adding the oil very, very slowly.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
MudGrrl said:
you lost 10 lbs

in a week?

that doesn't sound healthy.
I weighed 290, and was eating normal portions of healthy food, all water, and doing a whole mess of riding each day. I just went on an 1 1/2 hr trail ride yesterday and thought I was going to throw up I was going so hard. Im doing this healthy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
10 lbs in a week is probably all water weight, so i wouldn't worry about it. you won't be able to keep going at that pace unless you cut off your arm or do something drastic :D

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah I figured. I probably used to eat worse than anyone I know. So switching from burgers and fries, pizza, buffalo wings etc. To salad and whole wheat pasta was a big change. Man im hungry now.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
most def. water weight, not too worry. when I was at my highest weight (220) i dropped 7 pounds in a week.

Anyway. I'm agree with whomever commented on getting over the dressings. Don't get over them completely, just taste your food when you are eating it. If you are eating quality over quantity you will be able to taste a difference. Homemade mayo would be a good way to go, the taste is so much better you can use hallf of what you would use of regular.

You're lucky, its almost summer so most fruits and veggies are going to be great right now. Experiment frequently and eat lots of them.

Another thing that it took me forever to learn was DONT CUT OUT GOOD FATS. I just started eating good fats again, nuts, olive oil, avocados (you get the picture) I am full faster and stay full longer than i ever did eating "diet foods". Low fat, low carb, low sugar crap is just that, crap.

Stick to whole foods, real foods. the less processing the better and just pay attention to yourself. If you are really hungry eat something, if you aren't don't.

Moderation is the key. You can eat anything you want as long as you don't eat too much. I choose to eat healthy so i can eat tons.

Check out cookinglight.com Most of their stuff is easy and not bad for you. I'll find some of my fav. recipes and post them later.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
these are baked chicken tenders making them better for you than fried. they are so frickin good and super easy.

4 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders (about 18)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan
3/4 cup Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Brush 1 tablespoon of oil over each of 2 heavy large lined baking sheets. Place the buttermilk in a large bowl. Add the chicken tenders and stir to coat. Let stand at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mash the garlic with the salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in the vinegar and then the remaining 1/2 cup of oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with pepper. Transfer the vinaigrette to a small serving bowl.

Stir the Parmesan and bread crumbs in a pie dish. Remove the chicken tenders from the buttermilk and dredge them in the bread crumb mixture to coat completely, pressing to adhere. Arrange the coated chicken tenders on the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the chicken tenders and bake until they are cooked through and golden brown, about 12 minutes.

Transfer the chicken tenders to a platter and serve the vinaigrette alongside for dipping.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
had this the other night with some brown rice and grilled veggies. if you are really interested in cutting fat and cals. use chicken breasts or remove the skins from the legs and thighs before cooking (although i wouldn't recommend it, the skin is the best part of this recipe.)

8 whole chicken legs (about 4 pounds), cut into drumstick and thigh sections
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed lightly
1 cup water
3/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Chopped scallions, for garnish

Accompaniment: Cooked rice

In a large kettle combine the chicken, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 1 cup water, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the soy sauce and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken with tongs to a plate and boil the liquid for 10 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 1 cup. Let the sauce cool, remove the bay leaves, and skim the fat from the surface.

In a large skillet heat the oil over high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it saute the chicken, patted dry, in batches, turning it, for 5 minutes, or until it is browned well. Transfer the chicken to a rimmed platter, pour the sauce, heated, over it, and serve the chicken with the rice.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
lost 10 lbs of water weight........?.....i hope not....

you should be drinking alot of water and water ONLY........don't believe the BS about over hydrating either.......even mild dehydration can cause cravings for sugar and lower your energy levels and kill your recovery efficiancy.....

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
these are baked chicken tenders making them better for you than fried. they are so frickin good and super easy.
If you wanna make it a complete homemade "fast food" meal, cut up some sweet potatoes about the size for steak fries. Toss them in a ziplock bag with some olive oil, paprika and salt. Lay out on a baking sheet, cook for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees (That temp might be wrong, I can double check.) then flip the fries so they brown on the other side and cook for another 10 minutes or so. :drool:

I also like to brush a thin coat of olive oil on the cookie sheet to help them get more crispy.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Atomic Dog said:
If you wanna make it a complete homemade "fast food" meal, cut up some sweet potatoes about the size for steak fries. Toss them in a ziplock bag with some olive oil, paprika and salt. Lay out on a baking sheet, cook for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees (That temp might be wrong, I can double check.) then flip the fries so they brown on the other side and cook for another 10 minutes or so. :drool:

I also like to brush a thin coat of olive oil on the cookie sheet to help them get more crispy.

we love sweet potato fries. they are so good.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
laura said:
If you are eating quality over quantity you will be able to taste a difference.
THAT is the truth.

I found out that I am much more satisfied when I am eating very flavorful foods, as opposed to 'dinner just because I've got to eat'.

rockymt21 said:
I have lots of suggestions for this, the first is Pesto sause, freaking delicous and healthy.

Another option for some extra flavor is to put some fresh herbs and what not on your sandwiches, I put either fresha cillontro or basil on just about everthing I make.

Another thing I do with my sandwhiches a lot is smash them down in the George Forman, grilling the sandwich really bring the flavors out. Especially if you throw some red onion and bell peppers in em too.

Lastly add some other vegies and what not with lots of flavor, like Rosted Red bell pepper, pepperchini's, sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hears all this stuff is easy comes in a jar at any supper market.