Quantcast

Lx, Xt, Xtr

GoatPiper

Chimp
Feb 7, 2002
Boston, MA
Can anyone delineate the major differences (other than the obvious ideas of quality, price and weight)... Is it mainly weight, or is the overall performance drastically different between the different levels?

peace and beer,
gp

I can tell you about LX and XT since I am running those on a couple of rides right now.

My LX equipped bike is fine for casual rides where you are just relaxing, taking it easy. I have found that you really need to stay on top of your derailleur adjustments if you shift a lot. The LX for me doesn't stay adjusted for long. I'm always adjusting the things it seems. This is on a full suspension bike.

The XT stuff holds adjustments well and really shifts a LOT smoother than the LX for me. I run XT on my hardtail and have really been happy with it. For the money, XT gives about the best bang for the buck if that is a concern for you.

When I build up a Seven Sola I plan on using an XTR drive train and shifters. I probably won't use the XTR Ti cassette though. Probably go with an XT cassette for longevity.

On my mass produced aluminum rides I don't plan on going above XT for the drivetrain, although, I am considering an upgrade to XTR shifters.

Some of the hard core racing types here can give you a good scoop on XTR. I'm a lamer recreational rider that just rides everyday so take my comments for what they're worth.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Hmmmm, lets break this into two parts: first the derailers, then the shifters.

LX, and XT are total workhorses that will not let you down. I just rebuilt my Stumpy, and ordered an LX rear derailer and the thing never misses a beat... no matter how hard I shift it (under load) and regardless of condition. I agree with the mudpup that its a good idea to know how to tune your derailers, and to attend to them every few rides. The Xtr products are a bit much for me, I really don't care about weight that much, and don't see a huge enough advantage in derailer performance to justify the expense...shifters and brake levers are another story....

Up on your handle bars, just say NO to LX.;) They work fine, but XT and XTR (which I believe sport an extra bearing than either LX or XT) are much smoother. I run the XT integrated shifter/lever combo to a set of Avid disks and an XT rear on my trail bike and can't rave enough about how much I love them!:D The brake levers are perfectly balanced for spring tension and throw, while the rapid fire shifters work flawlessly.

I do not have much time on the XTR stuff, other than an older Rapid Rise (reverse pull) rear-d that came on the Stumpy that was nothing but a headache. I know there are some loyal XTR riders here that could fill in more blanks for you.

I can't stress enough how good a thing it is to know your bike...at least in so far as routine maintenance and adjustments. Given enough abuse and lack of care, even the best, most expensive parts will crap out on you.

Later bro.:monkey:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
We just picked up a set of Sram Shorty shifters and a 9.0SL rear-d for Sista Kreep's new Juliana...I'm anxious to see how they work out. I like the idea of the 1:1 shifting ratio (vs Shimano's 2:1), but I can't get over my fear of miss-shifts with the twisters. Should be interesting. They are perfect for her though, as she has little hands and triggers don't fit right.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by VTinCT
We just picked up a set of Sram Shorty shifters and a 9.0SL rear-d for Sista Kreep's new Juliana...I'm anxious to see how they work out. I like the idea of the 1:1 shifting ratio (vs Shimano's 2:1), but I can't get over my fear of miss-shifts with the twisters. Should be interesting. They are perfect for her though, as she has little hands and triggers don't fit right.
I also just got this setup and am eager to try it out.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn

Let me know how the 9.0 SL works out. I was surprised at its heft!:eek: The shifters do look very sweet.
LX. XT, XTR SRAM Bah! They all work.

Like the new Title
Get yourself an Avatar damnit.

B

bighitfsr

Its mostly weight.
The quality of shifting can be improved by just replacing your cables regularly.
This is what I'd use:

105 rear derailer (very compact, light, cheap)

E Type XTR front derailer (XTR uses a linkage plate and actually shifts smoother, they last forever unlike the rear derailer so its worth spending the money) E type derailers attach under the BB cup so can be put on any frame, I've found shifting much better than with other designs.

XTR crank (light, way stronger than even XT)

Deore Cluster (they only last a few months and the performance difference doesn't justify the cost)

XTR Shifter Pods (protected by the brake lever so they last a long time, do make a big difference to sifting performance)

XTR Vbrakes/levers and XT Hydro discs are killer stoppers, LX are also very good for the money.

Hubs: Dont buy shimano. DT swiss, Hadley, Hope, King all make better hubs which use cartridge bearings.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The SRAM 9.0 and 9.0SL combo works really well. I used it all last season. BUT. Plastic rear derailleurs are stupid. I broke two at the "b" knuckle. The last one I don't even know what I hit or got caught up in the chain. IMHO, plastic is not strong enough for the rear derailleur.

As you go up from LX to XTR you find stronger materials like forged aluminum versus stamped aluminun, better bushings and bearings and lighter stuff like titanium and aluminum versus steel.
The results are lighter stronger and longer lasting. If you ride hard 300 days a year XTR might be cost effective. For example, I usually get 3 seasons from an XTR rear derailleur at $200Canadian. I go through 2 9.0SL's at $150 each, which is cheaper in the long run? OK cheap shot at SRAM. An XT rear derailleur will be sloppy enough to warrant replacement in a season and half on my bike. They cost $130C. However if you snap off derailleurs regularly, It might not be cost effective to go XTR. When new all Shimano stuff works really well. But get it muddy and ride it hard and it will wear out.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
sram stuff is great, never had any miss shifts in any ****ty conditions i race in. i tested out a pair of the shorty's and i rode short shifters for a longggggg time before i got onto the half pipe's and i honestly have to say that i like the half pipe's more. the shorty's are good shifters i just like having the extra shifter there so on dh sections i can sit on the outside of my handbar and shift w/ out moving my hand position. the spring tension in the shifters prevents miss shifts. and i know most of you think w/ the half pipe's you are bound to have more miss shifts, but the spring tension on the outer part of the shifter is stiffer then the spring tension on the inner part of the shifter. and if you are worried about the plastic derailuers breaking get a set of xo's, if you can find em.

Mtn Pete

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
Boston
XTR is toughfer. XTR also has more bearing in the shifters 4 vs 2 with XT, so therfore it will last longer and shift smother. XTR stuff also come with an extra year warranty make it 3 years vs 2 for the rest of the shimano stuff. Its lighter, more durrable, smother and in the end more reliable then anything else.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Mtn Pete
XTR is toughfer. XTR also has more bearing in the shifters 4 vs 2 with XT, so therfore it will last longer and shift smother. XTR stuff also come with an extra year warranty make it 3 years vs 2 for the rest of the shimano stuff. Its lighter, more durrable, smother and in the end more reliable then anything else.
I don't know about reliable. With good upkeep, anything will run well for a long long time...at the same time, one missed rock garden will kill XTR components as quickly as XT or LX!:eek: (...time to bust out the :dead: for demoed components!!:devil: )

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!

With good upkeep, anything will run well for a long long time...at the same time, one missed rock garden will kill XTR components as quickly as XT or LX!:eek: (...time to bust out the :dead: for demoed components!!:devil: )
I concur. Before I could afford XT, my bike had all STX/RC. I just made sure to clean/oil the stuff constantly. Did it run butter smooth like the day it left the shop? No. But it didn't suck either.
I am definitely glad I have higher end stuff now...for sure it shifts much smoother and I don't have to make adjustments nearly as often. But I certainly don't knock anyone that rides with components "lower" than mine...especially considering the fact that even with higher end components I still suck. Components don't make the rider.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I used to have Sram, they never mishifted. I went through 4 deraillers, the last two being 9.0's. The shifters it's self I'v had to rebuild like 8 or 9 times, the springs kept on going off. In the beginning of this year I had enough with fixing the drive train. Since I was having my Race Face cranks put on, I had them put on XT triggers XT front deriallieur, XT rear deraillieur.
Ever since I haven't had problems with the drive train. I swear, I will NEVER use another Sram product again.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I'm not sure if someone has addressed this yet, but the 4 pivot XTR front derailleur Is the smoothest shifting der. that I've ever ridden. When set up right you can get almost every gear (even the really sketchy crosschained ones you should never use) without grinding, and for shifting under load this thing is the king. Definitely worth the extra cash. (and if you have a 28.6 seat tube I have a brand new one that I want to get rid of real cheap)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
Definitely worth the extra cash. (and if you have a 28.6 seat tube I have a brand new one that I want to get rid of real cheap)
SPAM :eek: :D

The diff between the shifters, all has to do with the bearings/ bushings that they run on. The LX shifters are definately good enough, and are lighter because they run on bushings instead of bearings. The XT's have 2 bearings for each shifter, and the XTR's have 4. The LX's run on two bushings, but are clearly enought smooth for the guys who dont even have cash for the XT's. i own a full XTR bikes, but the shifters are LX, just as good shifting as XTR, and just as smooth, a little lighter, and way cheaper.
Andi

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As a dissenting opinion to that expressed by andimon1, I say that LX are not adequate. Their shifter bodies are plastic, through which protruded the guts of my right hand shifter on a very cold winter ride a year or two back. I was not happy to climb the Blue Hills with the rear derailleur permanently at the smallest cog. XT shifter pods have metal bodies, on the other hand, and seem much more solidly constructed.