Quantcast

Lying will only make it worse

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Preface - I was doing something stupid.

I was just pulled over for talk on my cell phone while driving. He pulled past me two lanes over then slammed the brakes pulling behind me. I just pulled over knowing that I was going to get a ticket. When he came up and asked if I knew why I got pulled over: "I was on my cell". Asked if I was on with emergency services: "No". Any warrants, ever been to jail, arrested? "Nope". License, registration, insurance and he's back to the squad car.

He came back about two minutes later with the notepad and asked me to sign the ticket. The whole time I'm thinking, damn this dude writes fast. I go to sign the ticket and the top isn't filled out. Not only that, there is nothing about the cellphone at all!? It says: "No bikes on bike rack".

He was a younger guy, probably late-20's and clearly former military. Says that he just hates it when people lie about cell phone usage. He wasn't going to write me up because I was honest about what I was doing. We talked for about five minutes about what type of bikes I ride and why I wasn't riding on a Friday at 1pm. And joked around about how I'm moving to Colorado just so that I can ride on a Friday at 1pm.

That was it. No ticket, no written warning, just a 'quit being stupid'. Really nice guy in general. I would honest to god probably go grab beers with him in any other context.

So listen kids: lying won't get you anywhere; not all cops are bad; don't be stupid.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i remember being pulled over in virginia coming back from a concert in DC when i was young and stupid....

"any reason why you are all over the road?"

my answer...

"probably asleep."

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well done - now quit trying to talk and drive. :D
I actually have a blue tooth device that transmits through my stereo. I broke my phone over the weekend and haven't had the chance to mate this one to the device. He gave me a little credit for that though.