Quantcast

Lyric damper questions

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Ive got my first rockshox product in years and am looking to drop in some upgrades to make the ride at least usable...

Is it possible to just drop in and motion/mission control damper assembly into the basic lyric air R version or does it take a bit of extra work? Also curious if its possible to take out the spring side and drop in a new 2 step system to make it climb a bit better?

fork is a 2011 model if that makes any difference..

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
To change dampers you need to at least change the oil level. If you are going to add oil to a new stock for make sure you use the sram brand oil if you don't have access just use the full amount in any brand.

You don't want a 2 step cartridge that was the most problematic system to ever be used in a fork. Most times you need to be careful changing to an air spring from a coil as the steel spring puts small scratches on the inside of that stantion tube.

My suggestion to you if you really wanted to stick with the fork you have then get a Mission control cartridge (non DH so you have the floodgate for climbing) and a Uturn coil to steepen it up to climb better.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
What do you mean by at least rideable? Have you ridden it yet? Set it up properly? Ive been using a Lyric for a few years, took out the lock out option to increase oil flow in the MC cart. It made better small bump compliance, but the fork works great, and is easy as hell to work on.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
What do you mean by at least rideable? Have you ridden it yet? Set it up properly? Ive been using a Lyric for a few years, took out the lock out option to increase oil flow in the MC cart. It made better small bump compliance, but the fork works great, and is easy as hell to work on.
I have the damper that in NON compression adjustable and if i put enough preload to where it doesnt ride halfway into the travel its waaay to harsh and the front end pushes and if i want it to track well it ends up being to soft and screws up the head angle of the bike. so i need either a stiffer compression stack or just the adjustable damper

kgm

Chimp
Nov 11, 2012
co
The Lyrik R has no compression damper. It's just a screw cap.

I'd upgrade the rebound damper, as well as add in a comp damper.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you are going to upgrade the internals go for the new DH internals. Have not upgraded mine but I hear it is worth it. Increased fluid flow and increased low speed compression.