Quantcast

Lyric damper questions

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by The Mad Haderer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. The Mad Haderer

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Ive got my first rockshox product in years and am looking to drop in some upgrades to make the ride at least usable...

Is it possible to just drop in and motion/mission control damper assembly into the basic lyric air R version or does it take a bit of extra work? Also curious if its possible to take out the spring side and drop in a new 2 step system to make it climb a bit better?

fork is a 2011 model if that makes any difference..

#1 -   Jan 1, 2013

Please register to disable this ad.

2. samnation

samnation Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    To change dampers you need to at least change the oil level. If you are going to add oil to a new stock for make sure you use the sram brand oil if you don't have access just use the full amount in any brand.

You don't want a 2 step cartridge that was the most problematic system to ever be used in a fork. Most times you need to be careful changing to an air spring from a coil as the steel spring puts small scratches on the inside of that stantion tube.

My suggestion to you if you really wanted to stick with the fork you have then get a Mission control cartridge (non DH so you have the floodgate for climbing) and a Uturn coil to steepen it up to climb better.

#2 -   Jan 1, 2013
  3. nowlan

nowlan Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    What do you mean by at least rideable? Have you ridden it yet? Set it up properly? Ive been using a Lyric for a few years, took out the lock out option to increase oil flow in the MC cart. It made better small bump compliance, but the fork works great, and is easy as hell to work on.

#3 -   Jan 2, 2013
  4. The Mad Haderer

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I have the damper that in NON compression adjustable and if i put enough preload to where it doesnt ride halfway into the travel its waaay to harsh and the front end pushes and if i want it to track well it ends up being to soft and screws up the head angle of the bike. so i need either a stiffer compression stack or just the adjustable damper

#4 -   Jan 4, 2013
  5. kgm

kgm Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The Lyrik R has no compression damper. It's just a screw cap.

I'd upgrade the rebound damper, as well as add in a comp damper.

#5 -   Jan 6, 2013
  6. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    330 / 3,638
    i͓̽t͓̽ i͓̽s͓̽ fu͓̽l͓̽l͓̽ o͓̽f s͓̽t͓̽a͓̽r͓̽s͓̽
    Does anyone ride a Lyrik with the Avalanche cartridge? How different is it from a Mission and Motion control dampers?

7. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    116 / 856
    If you are going to upgrade the internals go for the new DH internals. Have not upgraded mine but I hear it is worth it. Increased fluid flow and increased low speed compression.

8. Dirtlabs

Dirtlabs Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Mad Haderer... I had the Lyric R and added the Mission Control DH Damper, night and day difference. Is this Mikey?

#8 -   Feb 1, 2013
  9. The Mad Haderer

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    yup its me...whos this?

#9 -   Feb 4, 2013
  10. Dirtlabs

Dirtlabs Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Mike Howse....