Quantcast

Lyric vs Float

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm replacing the Marzocchi 55 that came on my 2010 KHS Velet and I'm looking at the Rock Shox Lyrik RC2DH Solo Air or the Fox 36 Float RLC. I haven't ridden either fork yet and I'm just going on recommendations from other riders. Cost is going to be about the same for me either way so that's not a concern. What do you like/dislike about these two forks?

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Both forks are awesome! For me it's a coin toss between the two. The float does have 10mm more travel though so if that's not too big of an issue than I guess it would come down too aesthetics.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I assume you're looking at 160mm versions? I have that exact Lyric (well, mine's a 170 but I lowered it to 160). It's been great, no complaints at all. I've also got a 36 Vanilla, and the 36 chassis is a little stiffer. I haven't ridden a 36 Float in a few years but the older ones didn't have as good mid stroke support as my Lyric does. Then again, neither did my '08 Totem so maybe Fox has improved that too.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
owned Lyric 2-step, Lyric coil u-turn, Lyric solo air and 3 different Fox 36 forks (2 talas RC2 and Float RC2)

the 36 Float RC2 takes the win in my opinion?

best strength to weight (lyric definitely feels "twangy" in comparison), reliability and sheer performance

36 Float feels very good and definitely more controlled than Lyric when really abused

the Lyric coil definitely has the edge on small bump sensitivity but this is common of coil vs. air forks

lyric solo air vs. 36 float? I'd take the 36 any day, especially the current models with Kashima coat and inverted damper, has increased small bump performance for sure

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
The Float RC2 also has about 1" longer Axle to crown than the Lyrik and the Lyrik is about a 1/2 lb. lighter.