Quantcast

Lyrik for light freeride for a heavyer rider?

Jul 9, 2007
Hey guys,
I am really just getting into light freeride stuff since I found a really great local trail with plenty of jumps (table tops and doubles) as well as several drops. I think the biggest move on the course currently is a 7 foot step down jump. So the trail isn't anything super burly.
I ride a Giant AC air set in the 6" setting. I know this isn't a freeride bike but it seems to be handling the trail I'm riding pretty well and I have no complaints. However, the fork I'm running is pretty trial oriented. It is a manitou minute 3 with IT travel and SPV.
I want to get something a little burlier on the front because the minute is just too flexy and I can see it flexing a lot when landing. I've also bottomed it a few times on the larger jumps I've tried.

I'm looking at a Rock Shox Lyrik. I think anything bigger might be too tall for my bike but the Lyrik looks like it could take a beating. How do you guys think it would do on trails like I described above? I weigh 180ish without gear.

thanks,
Adam

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Before I opened your post I was going to say they make a Lyric for FR and it's called the Domain :) but I'd say the Lyric is a better match for the ACair. If you start going a lot bigger I'd replace both the frame and fork together.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I weigh 207 lbs w/o gear and have a lyrik coil set to 140mm on my short travel bike. It has held up awesome to jumping, drops and beating the crap out of it at speed.

The jumps you're talking about should be no problem as long as you're not landing super harsh each time. So far I've got no complaints about mine.

Jul 9, 2007
Thanks guys,
I've looked at the domain but since I use the bike predominately for trailriding too I don't know about the excess weight of the domain.
However, if I went with the domain instead, would I be able upgrade to a more freeride oriented frame later and not need to upgrade the fork?

I don't know if I'll ever go much bigger as there isn't much in the way of freeride here in kentucky other than what I mentioned in my post.

thanks,
Adam

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Depending on what your riding of course, I don't really see the need for all the extra beef of the domain. If you need something that gnarly, why not just go for a totem? It's around the same weight.

KYMtnBkr

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
I see your from Kentucky so I bet the trail system your talking about is Ft Duffield. Am I correct? I ride there a lot and just ordered a Lyrik U-Turn for my 575. I am hoping that the added stiffness of the through axle and larger stanchions along with the additional travel and tuning features will increase my confidence. We'll see. Please feel free to email me (rick) at rickdk@gmail.com for a progress report.

I have a few buddies who have run Lyricks on their bikes and gone huge and not had an issue with them. One ran his on his DHR with the 1-1/8 steerer for some races while his Totem was being rebuilt. Normally he runs a 1.5 Lyrik on his Highline and goes bigger than 95% of people.

Jul 9, 2007
I see your from Kentucky so I bet the trail system your talking about is Ft Duffield. Am I correct? I ride there a lot and just ordered a Lyrik U-Turn for my 575. I am hoping that the added stiffness of the through axle and larger stanchions along with the additional travel and tuning features will increase my confidence. We'll see. Please feel free to email me (rick) at rickdk@gmail.com for a progress report.
Yeah I am talking about ft. duffield. I'm from lexington and I have been driving out there pretty regularly for the past month. If you ever want someone to ride with, please contact me. I usually go there alone because none of my friends in college are into bikes. It would be nice to ride with someone who knows the trails better and pick up some pointers on the jumps I havn't tried yet.

Thanks for the info on the lyrik guys, I really think it is exactly what I need for my bike and the riding I'm doing these days.

KYMtnBkr

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
Why would you think it's overkill for my 575? Do you know something I don't? It's only a quarter lb heavier than my 150mm All Mountain 1 and I really like the AM 1 but it's a quick release and not as stiff as I would like. I prefer to ride extremely rocky technical trails with small drops and currently use every bit of the 150mm travel on every ride. I spoke with several other 575 owners running the Lyrik and they love it. One of the guys rides the National Trail over in Phoenix regularly. I only weigh a buck fifty and have outfitted my bike with a Hadley TA rear hub, XM819 rims and other non XCish parts. I've thrashed every xc part I've ever mounted on my bikes. Give me bullet proof please.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Add all the nonXC parts you want and its still an XC bike. The terrain that really warrants a 160mm fork like the Lyrik will flex a 575 to breakage and will jack the BB higher than Yeti designed the bike for. Most people over compensate lack of skill by buying more travel. Its okay. Its America, you obviously have the money. So no real harm done, but proper geometry will make you go faster more so than more travel.

If you want bullet proof and something more appropriate to the geometry of the 575, get a Pike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i agree with profro. others may like it for their 575s, but yeti doesn't advise jacking the fork length up so much. i guess if you really want it you could u-turn the fork down to a reasonable height, but 160mm is far too long. a pike is cheaper and will work much better for that bike. you were blowing through the travel on your old fork, so maybe you need to work on being smoother? by the way, the all mountain is 130mm of travel. if you're pushing your bike over it's limitations, then buy something more capable. an intense 6.6 comes to mind if you want pedaling ability and enough travel to handle the gnar.

KYMtnBkr

Chimp
Mar 18, 2007
You all seem to be a bit confused so let me clear a few things up.

The 2006 All Mountain 1 came in your choice of 110mm - 130mm or 130mm - 150mm. I have the latter.

The 575 is not an XC bike it's an all mountain bike. An XC bike is a bike like the Specialized Epic or Titus Racer X. I know with all the different genres of mountain bikes this can be very confusing for some.

Yeti's site shows the geometry of the 575 with both a 140mm and a 160mm fork. I've posted a link to the 575's geometry below. They probably are doing this to trick me though. I break my frame and they refuse warranty my 575 because my fork was too long. I buy another 575. Shameless!
http://www.yeticycles.com/Bikes/Bikes575.cfm

Holy underkill Batman! The Lyrik is not a freeride fork. I know that most people compensate for a lack of strength by purchasing an all mountain fork and freeriding with it. It's much easier than muscling around a bike built with appropriate freeride parts. It's ok it's America just don't forget to lie when you explain to Rockshox's warranty department about how you broke your fork. Just tell them you were doing a little all mountain riding on you 575 and you'll be fine.

"Insert really awesome cliché here" (people will think you are really cool)

AMRider

Chimp
Jan 29, 2008
pretty funny! of course the lyrik is a good match for the 575. i am always amazed by how quick people are to shoot there mouths off about things they are totally ignorant about. ive watched this forum for over a week now waiting for some sort of response from the big mouths who were so obviously wrong and nothing. there's more than just one dork here. lol!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
For a 575, I would think a lyrik would not be as well balanced travel wise as a pike unless you dial the lyrik back down to 140mm. On a nice nimble bike like a 575 it would be a shame to have to have a 14" bb height. What's the point of buying a light and nimble bike if it's going to be all raked out and have a high center of gravity?

I also don't really see a lyrik as being too beefy for the bike though. I've got one dialed down to 140 on my prophet and it's awesome and doesn't feel too heavy or tank-ish.

I don't get the whole "this is freeride, this is all mountain and this is XC" If the bike feels good to you, and doesn't scare you to ride hard or doesn't tire you out to ride a long ways up hill, then go with it.

Jul 9, 2007
hey guys,
to bring the discussion back on topic...
what do you all think of a z.1 on my AC rather than the lyrik?
the reason I am considering the z.1 is beacause I can get a nice 2007 z.1 rc2 used for a good price right now and the fork seems to get good reviews. With the money I save on this fork, I can put towards the build of a real DH rig which I am going to be doing this summer.

Let me know what you think.

Holtzman

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
I have an AC2 and put a Domain on it. I love the feel but hate the weight, so a Lyrik should be perfect. On the Domains, the springs run pretty heavy if you are doing light freeride, so you might want to go one step lighter than normal to match your ACAir, assuming the Lyriks' springs are the same.