Quantcast

Lyrik fork stuck down to 100mm...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd serviced my 150mm Lyrik a few months ago. With the snow finally melting I got out for a ride yesterday and at some point the fork has sucked down to leave only ~100mm of travel remaining.

I hooked my shock pump up when I got home and it still read the correct pressure. I released all pressure and pumped it back up again, but it still didn't extend past 100mm of travel.

Is it likely the equalization port has blocked with some grease and I need to pull the lowers and then pull the airspring again??

Open to suggestions (useful ones :p)

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
If it's that far stuck down, first make sure it's fully extended first. Pump it up until you are capable of pulling out to topout by hand. The pressure difference should blow out any gunk in the dimple.

If you have any wear on the airspring (stanchion or quadring-seal) cold weather will let it leak just a little bit quicker because of the stiffer rubber.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
HE SAID USEFUL!!

I'd check first if maybe you forgot an allen wrench in the damper during the rebuild, because it sounds exactly like what would happen if you did. Maybe it wasn't obvious when you closed the damper, then when pushing on the fork, the allen key pushed through a seal and stayed stuck there, compromising the movement of the fork.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If it's that far stuck down, first make sure it's fully extended first. Pump it up until you are capable of pulling out to topout by hand. The pressure difference should blow out any gunk in the dimple.

If you have any wear on the airspring (stanchion or quadring-seal) cold weather will let it leak just a little bit quicker because of the stiffer rubber.
It was a full teardown service, so shouldn't be any issues with the seals. But I'll add some more air and see what happens :p

Definitely no tools left inside the fork, the 90mm of travel was working just fine, albeit limited travel and a little too heavy to put the fork on my XC bike :p

@Westy, not sure if serious or if I need to overnight some parts from Japan.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bumped it up from my normal 64.5 to 120psi and that netted me 135mm'ish of travel. I can pull it to top out, but it's not staying there. Bouncing it up and down hasn't made any difference either.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Bumped it up from my normal 64.5 to 120psi and that netted me 135mm'ish of travel. I can pull it to top out, but it's not staying there. Bouncing it up and down hasn't made any difference either.
I once had a friend that wanted his pike120 extended to 140, so i pointed out the right airshaft for him, and offered to install it for some beers.
"Nah, me and my buddy have it covered"
3 years later he asks me to revert it back to 120 for him.... turns out those geniuses installed it with a double topout bumper. That thing could never could have reached its equilization point, and was shortened by 15mm. He has been riding all that time with an empty negative chamber at around 40psi...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmm, if there is a scratch or damage inside the air chamber you may have a "new" bypass port in the wrong spot.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
This has happened to me twice on their rear shock. Super Deluxe? Not sure. It was many years ago. Both times I had to send them in to fix. Needless to say I haven't had a RockShox rear since then :)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Blocked transfer port.

Left it at 120psi overnight, no change. Just pulled it to full extension a few times and heard it pssst as it equalized. Lowered my pressure as appropriate and hopefully it will stay good.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Blocked transfer port.

Left it at 120psi overnight, no change. Just pulled it to full extension a few times and heard it pssst as it equalized. Lowered my pressure as appropriate and hopefully it will stay good.
Yeah that will work for a while and then the hex key will get stuck again in the seal or the transfer port and you'll be back with the same problem.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Did you check and make sure it had shims?

Edit: also, I bet theres a dollop of assembly grease or something blocking the negative port. Probably worth doing a quick airspring pull apart, clean, re-grease/lube, and reassembly. Doing it now will make you a happy camper come summer, where you wont find yourself out on a ride with a fork suddenly stuck down.

Last edited: