Quantcast

M.Moore on FOX!?!?!?!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Micheal Moore on The O'Reilly Factor!
July 27th, 2004 at 08:00 PM

Put on your protective goggles and watch Micheal face off with Bill O'Reilly at the DNC tonight. This is sure to be some interesting television.

If you miss it at 8, it will be on again at 11:00 p.m.

Wish I had cable... 2 blow hards going at it.

ChrisNJ

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
jersey
ok, well, it started off by moore calling bush a liar. Oreilly said that he (bush) did not lie, but was misinformed by u.s intel., mi6, and russian intel (vladimir putin, etc) and he acted on that information. Faithly acting on such info and telling the people of america the reason they are going to war is because of wmd's (which he has no reason to not believe at this point b/c of the intel he was given) is not lying on his part. Moore refuses to agree w/ that and continues to call him a liar b/c he lied to the county, despite what information he acted on :rolleyes: The next big ordeal was at the end, when Moore would not let down the question of "would you sacrifice your son/daughter to fight in iraq/terrorism". Oreilly answered he would sacrifice himself, but Moore kept up the original question and not let it down. What Moore fails to realize is that nobody is sacrificing their sons/daughters. Everyone in our military is a grown adult, capable of making decisions on their own. They decide to join our military and fight for our country. The fact that moore would not let down the "sacrifice your child" bit was childish.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fluff said:
Are you a moderate squack-box of the Ter-Rets?
:D

I didn't see the exchange except for bits on the morning news....

I caught the Iraq/Terrorism exchange and a bunch of "Oh Really!?!?!" blustering from both tools.....

It seemed like it was an adult version of a Pokemon battle. "O'Rielly,..... I choose yoooooooooouuuuuuuuuu! Attack with you Extreme right wing opinion!"

"Moore counter with your "Oh, Really" and evil gaze!"

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
ChrisNJ said:
ok, well, it started off by moore calling bush a liar. Oreilly said that he (bush) did not lie, but was misinformed by u.s intel., mi6, and russian intel (vladimir putin, etc) and he acted on that information. Faithly acting on such info and telling the people of america the reason they are going to war is because of wmd's (which he has no reason to not believe at this point b/c of the intel he was given) is not lying on his part. Moore refuses to agree w/ that and continues to call him a liar b/c he lied to the county, despite what information he acted on :rolleyes:
Like I said - 2 blow hards going at it... I was really hoping for some sparks. Sounds like std. rhetoric so far.

ChrisNJ said:
What Moore fails to realize is that nobody is sacrificing their sons/daughters. Everyone in our military is a grown adult, capable of making decisions on their own.
So the fact that I am over 18 means that I no longer have parents? Sh*t, I got orphaned when i became an adult... at least Christmas will be less expensive this year.

Your child is your child no matter how old...

ChrisNJ said:
The fact that moore would not let down the "sacrifice your child" bit was childish.
He can't be childish, he's over 18...

Thanks anyway for the review (albiet slanted...).

Anyone who does not hate MMoore see it? Any other views?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slugman said:
So the fact that I am over 18 means that I no longer have parents? Sh*t, I got orphaned when i became an adult... at least Christmas will be less expensive this year.

Your child is your child no matter how old...
He was saying that people join the military fully aware that they can be called to fight for our country. The sacrifice is joining...not fighting. Paying the ultimate price is not the sacrifice....it is handing over that choice to your country that is the sacrifice.

So the sacrificing children bit is a little melodramatic....actually a lot melodramatic. It is a non-point force fed to be a point.

You are right, your child is your child no matter what age. That wasn't what he was talking about.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I was talking about this comment:

ChrisNJ said:
What Moore fails to realize is that nobody is sacrificing their sons/daughters.
And making a choice to serve does not negate the fact they are making a sacrifice... and does not mean that their parents doe not lose out if the child is killed.

His statements were just as
RhinofromWA said:
a little melodramatic....actually a lot melodramatic. It is a non-point force fed to be a point.
Unlike Faux News people, I like my news to reported... not presented.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Both Moore and O'Reilly are convinced that they themselves are the smartest people on the planet and that they have some incredible, never before discovered insights on how to straighten out US politics. They're both idiots.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
El Jefe said:
Both Moore and O'Reilly are convinced that they themselves are the smartest people on the planet and that they have some incredible, never before discovered insights on how to straighten out US politics. They're both idiots.

True dat!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slugman said:
And making a choice to serve does not negate the fact they are making a sacrifice... and does not mean that their parents doe not lose out if the child is killed.
When you join the military you accept the risks....you are not unwillingingly sacrificing yourself when you sign up. You are an adult and are fully aware af what lays in front of you.

"Sacrifice" was given a dramatic spin, making it sound like they are pushing kids(soldiers) into a volcano while they are kicking and screaming....when they actually chose to be in the miltary.

So no they are not sacrificing their kids....if anything they are willingly sacrificing themselves.

But go ahead and beleive what you have been force fed.

I guess it depends on you definition of "sacrifice" being used in the MMoore.O'Reilly exchange it was meant to be haneous and negative. When ChrisNJ pointed out they choose to be there....they choose to go and fight. That is not a sacrifice at meant by Moore.

ChrisNJ never mentioned that you divorce your parents or anything so off. He said as an adult they made a choice to join the military to fight for the country. If someone was drafted and sent kicking and screaming that could work but we are talking about a military of people who wanted to be there.

DHiDave

Chimp
Jan 28, 2003
Lakewood, CO
El Jefe said:

However, Moore is correct on a lot of things. Gee Dub went to war to avenge his father. His dad was the subject of death threats from Sadaam and his regime for over a decade. They don’t stand for that in Texas!!!

When it comes to national or local media how much can you really trust? I believe that Bush uses the intel excuse to justify his own reasons. It's just like him furthering his conservative ideals by not allowing homosexuals to have the same rights as heterosexuals and trying to repeal R vs. W. Think he doesn't have ulterior motives? Bah, we all do. He just has the power to further some of the ones that are far reaching and impact more people. Say what you will about Moore, but at least he doesn't succumb to the mind numbing propaganda that the media and government throw at the public everyday.

Think for yourself, question authority. -- Tool

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
RhinofromWA said:
When you join the military you accept the risks....you are not unwillingingly sacrificing yourself when you sign up. You are an adult and are fully aware af what lays in front of you.

"Sacrifice" was given a dramatic spin, making it sound like they are pushing kids(soldiers) into a volcano while they are kicking and screaming....when they actually chose to be in the miltary.

So no they are not sacrificing their kids....if anything they are willingly sacrificing themselves.
What about calling in troops who are no longer active? Or the possibility of a draft? Those don't seem like willing parties to me.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
RhinofromWA said:
"willing" - that was never mentioned by moore (as reported by ChrisNJ). Weather or not you CHOOSE to be sacraficed... you're still sacraficed. That is the point that I feel is mising.

The Right wing takes Moore's statements and spin it in such a way that it makes it sound like Moore claimed they were pulled from their homes. He never said anything about voluntary or not. His point is that in his (and other's) view, the children of americans were sacraficed for an unjust war.

"Willing" or not - they are still dead.

RhinofromWA said:
:stosh: That was un called for, I'm no N8... :eek:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Wilfred Owen 1893 - 1917

Parable of the Old Men and the Young

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
And builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.
But the old man would not so, but slew his son...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Lexx D said:
What about calling in troops who are no longer active? Or the possibility of a draft? Those don't seem like willing parties to me.
;)
Me...lol said:
If someone was drafted and sent kicking and screaming that could work (regarding what we are talking about) but we are talking about a military of people who wanted to be there.
The "no longer active" soldiers kicked off early with the caveat to be recalled if needed. They gambled, they lost. They still need to perform their duties and finish their tour (do they still call it that?)/time.

The draft is a mixed bag or willing and no willing people...though they didn't volunteer for it.

The other guys and gals that got out early though they have a life outside the military originally volunteered to serve.

Nothing to argue with you just thought I would point out I mentioned the draft (breifly) and discuss the recall of troops that left their tour of duty incomplete.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slugman said:
"willing" - that was never mentioned by moore (as reported by ChrisNJ). Weather or not you CHOOSE to be sacraficed... you're still sacraficed. That is the point that I feel is mising.

The Right wing takes Moore's statements and spin it in such a way that it makes it sound like Moore claimed they were pulled from their homes. He never said anything about voluntary or not. His point is that in his (and other's) view, the children of americans were sacraficed for an unjust war.

"Willing" or not - they are still dead.
Bill said he would send himself...and that wasn't good enough. Moore asked jokingly if anyone could get this man a recruiter...or something. :)

A sacrifice gave willingly by a volunteer military person is different than what Moore was trying to push. He was trying to create a emotional wave he could ride and Bill wasn't grabbing his boogey board. :) Sacrificed willingly is different than forcefully being sacrificed and you had no choice....that simply isn't the case. A soldier losing his life in the service of our country to me is no different than a fire fighter losing his life fighting a fire. They both are volunteer/chosen jobs, and I feel the ones that lose their life in the line of duty should be remembered as brave souls who chose the route many of us won't or can't. To me, saying they are being "sacrificed" lessens their memory to me and removes the respect they are due. They were not forced there, they chose to be there for our country in it's time of need.
:eek: wow where did that come from:think:

The unjust war is a matter to debate....and will be for some time. That does not make his sacrificed comment anymore relavent. Though I can see what angle he was coming from...though using that argument only works with like minded individuals.

I think the fairer question would be "Bill, would you support your childrens choice to volunteer for military service?" or something like that....that removes the baseless sacrificing comment and gives a common ground both of them can talk on. :think: Damn middle ground thinking again....when these two are the last you would expect to see any middle ground reached. :D
:stosh: That was un called for, I'm no N8... :eek:
:eek: sorry :o: ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fluff said:
Wilfred Owen 1893 - 1917

Parable of the Old Men and the Young

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
And builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.
But the old man would not so, but slew his son...
Poetry makes my head hurt. :)

Considering when it was written I guess it could have been more painfull. ;)

Do you have poetry readily available? So asketh me. Behold, I of da horn rbingeth you a query. Don where you findeth such pariables?

I think I am having a migraine.

Rhino

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Rhino, can you honestly say that every 18 year old kid who joins a branch of the military has a full understanding of what they're doing? I know it's a biased source, but watching interviews with soldiers in Iraq presented in Farenheit 9/11 made me shudder. It seems like many of them barely have an idea of who they're fighting against. I think that tons of young people join the army to pay for college, because of family tradition, or because they are taken advantage of by sneaky recruiters. I would wager that a significant portion of them have no idea of the true sacrifice they could be/are making, and that they are not willing participants, though it seems on the outside that they're are volunteers.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
RhinofromWA said:
Poetry makes my head hurt. :)

Considering when it was written I guess it could have been more painfull. ;)

Do you have poetry readily available? So asketh me. Behold, I of da horn rbingeth you a query. Don where you findeth such pariables?

I think I am having a migraine.

Rhino
Just trying to bring a little culture to the proceedings.

You could also check out 'Dolce et Decorum' by the same poet. Wilfred Owen was an officer in the British army in WWI, and witnessed the carnage in a war fought over the ego's of Europe's monarchs. He was killed about two weeks before the armistice was signed.

Or check out the film Regeneration.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
scofflaw23 said:
Rhino, can you honestly say that every 18 year old kid who joins a branch of the military has a full understanding of what they're doing? I know it's a biased source, but watching interviews with soldiers in Iraq presented in Farenheit 9/11 made me shudder. It seems like many of them barely have an idea of who they're fighting against. I think that tons of young people join the army to pay for college, because of family tradition, or because they are taken advantage of by sneaky recruiters. I would wager that a significant portion of them have no idea of the true sacrifice they could be/are making, and that they are not willing participants, though it seems on the outside that they're are volunteers.
Please, they are clueless? :think: No way. That is what I would say if I joined the military with no intention of fighting.....just to sponge off the military $.

People join for all sorts of reasons. They weigh the possible costs and decide to commit.

Every 18yo (special/challenged people aside) can make that choice.

You don't go into the military to get your college paid. If you do, that doesn't make you unable to make the choice. You don't need a recruiter to tell you what lies ahead.....or could lie ahead.

What possible other reasons would one be tricked into joining the military?
College paid? Hmmm they are just going to pay for school and I just have to dress funny for 4yrs? Umm no.
See the world? Come on.
Family tradition? If their family has done it and it is tradition....you damn well know they are aware what they are getting into.

Recruiters are supposed to ....ah, recruit. They get people all jazzed about the military...they are not there to hold their hand and talk them out of it. Do they lie? I don't know...do they talk it up? Yes...most definately. Sneaky recruiters? What, do they offer them a lolli-pop if they sign a peice of paper? *evil laugh* we tricked you into giving up your soul for 4yrs */evil laugh*

I say well before 18yo people can make that choice. What is this fascination that people think an 18yo can not make a choice about joining the military?

Yes they know what lies ahead....maybe they have sugarcoated the reality in their heads to some degree, but that doesn't mean they didn't chose to serve. Just because a soldier gets scared and wants out doesn't mean he/she didn't know what they were getting into....it means they are human and freaked out.

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I say well before 18yo people can make that choice. What is this fascination that people think an 18yo can not make a choice about joining the military? Yes they know what lies ahead....maybe they have sugarcoated the reality in their heads to some degree said:
True, nobody is "forced" into joining the military, but much of the recruiting is focused on lower class, poverty stricken people, who do not appear to have a lot of options upon high school graduation. The recruiters spin joining the military as a way out, and a great opportunity. Its safe to say that wealthier classes have many more options. I think this is what Moore was getting at in Farenheit 911.

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
RhinofromWA said:

I guess it depends on you definition of "sacrifice" being used in the MMoore.O'Reilly exchange it was meant to be haneous and negative. When ChrisNJ pointed out they choose to be there....they choose to go and fight. That is not a sacrifice at meant by Moore.

ChrisNJ never mentioned that you divorce your parents or anything so off. He said as an adult they made a choice to join the military to fight for the country. If someone was drafted and sent kicking and screaming that could work but we are talking about a military of people who wanted to be there.
So Rhino,

You seem to think you have a pretty good understanding of the mindset of a young person who goes out and enlists in the millitary during peace times.

Tell us then, how many years did you serve in the armed forces? How did you come to terms with the personal "sacrifice" YOU were making for your country?

If your experience was anything like MINE, then your adolescent 18yo brain didn't even contemplate the possibility of going to war. As my highschool counselors and navy recruiters emphasized, joining the millitary was a way to make good money, travel the world, meet new people, and pay for an otherwise ellusive college education. The possibility of WAR was never brought up in pre-enlistment conversation and probably the farthest thing from my naive, video-game trained, thought process.

Despite what your prescribed common sense might tell you, most teens dont have the abstract capacity to truly understand the net results their actions today have on tomorrow.

Its disgusting to hear somebody on the outside looking in throw around terms like "sacrifice" as it relates to giving ones life, or taking the life of another in a meaningless political war.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Archslater said:
True, nobody is "forced" into joining the military, but much of the recruiting is focused on lower class, poverty stricken people, who do not appear to have a lot of options upon high school graduation. The recruiters spin joining the military as a way out, and a great opportunity. Its safe to say that wealthier classes have many more options. I think this is what Moore was getting at in Farenheit 911.
I agree it is a option for them who might not have many other options....

Guess what, it was an option they chose. Poverty has nothing to do with the ability to decide to join the military. The military does offer some great benefits for those who would not have access to things like college education, leaving their poverty ridden areas with a chance to start fresh. Those are bonuses, to the simple fact you are signing on to be in the miltary and go where and when they tell you.

Do people fully fathom the horrors of war? Not always. It is there job to go and do what they are told. They are soldiers.

To many the military is a better road to travel....more so during peace time. Now that they are called upon to truely serve they are now unwilling idiots? No they are opportunistic idiots...that are now unwilling to serve.

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
RhinofromWA said:
I agree it is a option for them who might not have many other options....

Guess what, it was an option they chose. Poverty has nothing to do with the ability to decide to join the military. The military does offer some great benefits for those who would not have access to things like college education, leaving their poverty ridden areas with a chance to start fresh. Those are bonuses, to the simple fact you are signing on to be in the miltary and go where and when they tell you.

Do people fully fathom the horrors of war? Not always. It is there job to go and do what they are told. They are soldiers.

To many the military is a better road to travel....more so during peace time. Now that they are called upon to truely serve they are now unwilling idiots? No they are opportunistic idiots...that are now unwilling to serve.

How truly insightful! Of course, you are speaking from personal experience right?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
IronDonkey said:
So Rhino,

You seem to think you have a pretty good understanding of the mindset of a young person who goes out and enlists in the millitary during peace times.

Tell us then, how many years did you serve in the armed forces? How did you come to terms with the personal "sacrifice" YOU were making for your country?
I spent 2 months hashing over what I wanted to do in my senior year in school. There were plenty of recruiters there ready to help direct me to the military. I had them come to my house....I met them at their office.

I chose not to go. I did have a choice (I had better options than others)....so did you.
If your experience was anything like MINE, then your adolescent 18yo brain didn't even contemplate the possibility of going to war. As my highschool counselors and navy recruiters emphasized, joining the millitary was a way to make good money, travel the world, meet new people, and pay for an otherwise ellusive college education. The possibility of WAR was never brought up in pre-enlistment conversation and probably the farthest thing from my naive, video-game trained, thought process.

Despite what your prescribed common sense might tell you, most teens dont have the abstract capacity to truly understand the net results their actions today have on tomorrow.
You had no idea what the military was about? You thought it was some 4yr Club Med trip? Come on now, you jest?

It is not in the recruiters job to beat into you the possibility of going to war. Where is your personal responsibility for your own actions? I am sure on some papers you signed there was mention of actually serving.

It is not the job of the military to march people in circles for 4 yrs and then turn them loose.
Its disgusting to hear somebody on the outside looking in throw around terms like "sacrifice" as it relates to giving ones life, or taking the life of another in a meaningless political war.
I have plenty of friends in HS that did go in to the military, other friends in college that were in ROTC. Don't, for one second, think this subject was never discussed.

I know it is popular to protect people and say they are not responsible for their own actions....but really now. How else did you consult other than the recruiter when making your decision? The recruiter is not going to stear you away....don't blame them. Take some responsibility for what you chose, be it good or bad for you....you chose it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
IronDonkey said:
How truly insightful! Of course, you are speaking from personal experience right?
Do my childhood friends count? Some of my firends did go that route for lack of better options.....I am still in contact with 2, one drove a tank and went to the gulf war. The other was a mechanic on the A-10(i think) actually he was office support I hope he didn't work on them ;) You should have seen his car in HS. The tank guy didn't like the military style so he is now out....the other after serving an extended first tour, he is now rejoined.

Because I did not join and you did makes my opinion mute over yours? Nice. I guess you learned something in the military..........

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
fluff said:
Rhino, it just may be that the recruiters paint a less than full picture...
It isn't their job to paint a full picture. :(

I understand and agree the recruiters are there to sign people up....it is their job.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Archslater said:
Worker's Song (Handful of Earth) - Dropkick Murphys
written by Ed Pickford

This one's for the workers who toil night and day
By hand and by brain, to earn your pay
For centuries long past for no more than your bread
Have bled for your countries and counted your dead
In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
We've often been told to keep up with the times
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
And with slide rule and stopwatch, our pride they have robbed

(chorus)
We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
And we're always the last when the cream is shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth

And all of these things the worker has done
From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
We've been yoked to the plow since time first began
And always expected to carry the can.

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
Rhino wrote:....don't blame them. Take some responsibility for what you chose, be it good or bad for you....you chose it.

I'm not BLAMING anyone! I'm merely suggesting you think twice before throwing around words that mean a lot more to a lot of people than perhaps you realize.

I'm truly insulted when somebody who has never served talks about the sacrifices our young pre 9/11 troops have made, not for our country, but for our lying, plutocratic political machine.

Rhino wrote:.... Because I did not join and you did makes my opinion mute over yours? Nice. I guess you learned something in the military..........

No, you can have your opinion. But, at the end of the day, if you've never tasted something, how can you explain to somebody else what it's like?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
IronDonkey said:
I'm not BLAMING anyone! I'm merely suggesting you think twice before throwing around words that mean a lot more to a lot of people than perhaps you realize.

I'm truly insulted when somebody who has never served talks about the sacrifices our young pre 9/11 troops have made, not for our country, but for our lying, plutocratic political machine.

If you've never tasted something, how can you explain to somebody else what it's like?
I have never slid down a slide of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohal.....

but I think I will pass.

I have not served personally....but I am not without resources (my father Army Vietnam drafted, Tank buddy Gulf Storm, Airforce buddy I am not clear where or when he was anyware, ROTC airforce buddy, fly's fighter planes)

Rest well tonight that I have thought (more than) twice about it. Troops pre 9/11 were simply in waite for an event like that....that is what the military does. It is prepared to be used when called. In a time of war or not.

Rhino

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
Rhino wrote:....I have never slid down a slide of razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohal.....but I think I will pass......

Please don't insult the intelligence of anyone who might read this thread with that lame, 'apples to oranges' rebuttle!

Rhino wrote:....Troops pre 9/11 were simply in waite for an event like that....

YOU JUST DONT GET IT MAN, And unfortunately, You probably never will.