Quantcast

M1 licence in CA

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
so, this summer im gonna get my M1 licence. question is, for you that have it, it says I need the drivers ed requirements, is thet refering to the ones for the regular class C? I already have my C so can I just go take the written test without anything else?

sorry, didnt know where to put this, i figured since its a question about CA that it should be here, thanks

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I don't know if I can answer your question completely, but I know you're supposed to take a written test to get your permit. If you have a valid C driver's license, you just take the permit test. With the permit you can ride alone, but only in the day time and not on the freeway. No passangers allowed. To get an M1 license you need to take a CHP riders safety class, but only if you are under 21. I think that if you don't take the CHP class and you are over 21 then you will need to do an actual road test. I'm pretty sure that just to get your permit you will only need a valid C license and a little knowledge of motorcycle safety for the easy little test.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I highly recommend the MSF safety course. I believe it's still the same but the way it worked for me was you take that class (no permit needed) and if you complete it you get your full license, plus a break on your insurance. It's a weekend long class.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

I think this information is correct but I took this in MA about 4 years ago so things may have changed or CA may do thing differently.