Quantcast

M3 Washer and Spacer Question

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
So I'm helping a teammate do some maintenance on his M3. He doesn't take care of his bike for sh!t; but I finally convinced him to clean and regrease his bearings.

So he didn't pay attention to where the spacers and washers went when he took it apart. I haven't worked on an M3 before so my question is...I have 4 spacers(thicker) and 2 washers, which goes where?

My guess is the 4 spacers go on the upper link and the washers go on the lower link, is this correct? I suspect he's missing 2 washers since 2 a side on the lower link = 4. He never took the bike apart, but the old shop he had work done on it had a mechanic with questionable ability (I found other mistakes on his bike as well).

Thanks for any input.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Yeah, I supposed I should have gone to mtbr too. But their DH forum is more people asking "is this a good DH bike?"

Forgot about the manufacturer forum though.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
All this is in the Intense MTBR forum. The Intense site also has a manual (at least the old one used to have it) on how to service the lower pivots. From memory, the lower link requires 4 thick spacers, and 2 thin washers. The top part of the upper link 2 spacers, while the bottom requires 2 thick spacers and maybe 2 additional medium washers.

Check the other sites for pix and exact configuration.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can only tell you how it works on Socom and Uzzi, but I guess the M3 should be similar.

Lower link: 1 thin steel washers gos in between bolt head and link, 1 thicker steel washer goes in between link and bearing. So for the lower link you should have 2 thin steel washers and 4 thicker (2-3 mm) steel washers.

Upper link: thicker washers (aluminum?) goes in between bearing and frame/swingarm. So you should have 4 of those.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
iRider, I heard the same thing over on mbtr. So I'm going to give that a try. I figured this would be easier than searching elsewhere and indeed it was Thanks guys!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
All 4 washers on the bottom are the same. The upper links have 2 different sizes, but I forget which size goes where. I believe one of the upper pivots has the same size as the bottom two links, so you'd have 6 washers all the same and 2 different size, on the upper link somewhere.