Quantcast

M3

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
M1s aren't as brittle as everyone makes them seem. I've THRASHED mine for over a full season, and no issues at all, other than derailer hangers. Ask anyone, I beat the hell out of it, and it seems to like it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Eigil said:
M1s aren't as brittle as everyone makes them seem. I've THRASHED mine for over a full season, and no issues at all, other than derailer hangers. Ask anyone, I beat the hell out of it, and it seems to like it.

You're lucky. I've seen more M1s broken than literally any other DH bike. They ride great but of the people I know who have owned them, there's only one person who HASN'T had to replace the front triangle because of a headtube crack or chainstay crack at the dropout welds. (You know the Opperman brothers by any chance?)

beware the warranty white

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Quote: "I am a proud hucker . Today I am going on an urban huck ride. I have this huck I have been thinking about hucking, it is a big huck so I really need to huck it hard.

I have been trying to motivate my self, I keep thinking huck that huck you hucker, huck it! "

Where's Cooter when we need him?

The Hucksterburg Address:

"Four hucks and seven hucks ago, our forehuckers hucked forth to this hucktinent..." :thumb:

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
He should get a Brooklyn.
It reminds me when I called up Ellsworth and asked them how the ID is for freeride and aggressive trail riding and they said no it's just for xc that's it.
Oviously I didn't get the ID, but when a company tells you a bike isn't made for that it means you're going to break it.

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
kidwoo said:
there's only one person who HASN'T had to replace the front triangle because of a headtube crack or chainstay crack at the dropout welds.

So what if you crack it! Dont you get a brand new front triangle? I see nothing wrong with that!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
IFL said:
kidwoo said:
there's only one person who HASN'T had to replace the front triangle because of a headtube crack or chainstay crack at the dropout welds.

So what if you crack it! Dont you get a brand new front triangle? I see nothing wrong with that!
Waiting on warranty mailings sucks. Waiting for intense warranty has wasted half the riding season for a friend of mine. You probably get preference the rest of the world doesn't get as well.

Intentionally getting something known to break and cut out of your riding time is absolutely retarded. Why not ride polystyrene frames then? You sound more like a salesman than a rider when you say things like that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stoney98 said:
I agree with DK, although the hassle of the warranty and time off the bike sucks, you DO get a new part to replace said broken one. Not a bad deal.
Works even better when you don't need a replacement in the first place. It is possible to have both working equipment AND riding time and I much prefer this than just the goo goo of getting new parts while I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Guess?Who said:
He should get a Brooklyn.
It reminds me when I called up Ellsworth and asked them how the ID is for freeride and aggressive trail riding and they said no it's just for xc that's it.
Oviously I didn't get the ID, but when a company tells you a bike isn't made for that it means you're going to break it.
the ironic thing is that they marketed it as "just as much a freeride bike" as the rocky mountain switch, the original AS-X, and the turner RFX....lol

Then tony edited mountain biking magazines comments (by changing the words and inserting things that never were in the article in the first place) to make it seem that the ID was the best bike from the lot...for freeriding! ahahaha....

Tony's a crook.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
kidwoo said:
Waiting on warranty mailings sucks. Waiting for intense warranty has wasted half the riding season for a friend of mine. You probably get preference the rest of the world doesn't get as well.

Intentionally getting something known to break and cut out of your riding time is absolutely retarded. Why not ride polystyrene frames then? You sound more like a salesman than a rider when you say things like that.
Dude you don't have to buy intense. Yes, some do break and people know that. If your not willing to sacrafice riding time for warranty issues then simply don't buy from intense. I fully respect intense in the matter of top notch racing performance. It is not a bike made for the average rider it is made for smooth pros who want to go insanely fast. Cracking and such is sometimes a penalty for top notch racing performance. If you want durability buy a banshee or a bighit but if you want the ultimate performance and light weight and maybe the penalty of breaking one once in a while then intense is for you.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
kidwoo said:

I can agree, waiting on warranty sucks, and Intense made me wait big time. The CS dept. leaves a lot to be desired. The bike does ride great though, enough so that I'd still recommend them to people.

Kidwoo, you live where bikes go to die though. Northstar terrain is bike killing terrain. I think you see a lot fail there because thats where it'll happen :D I think you are exaggerating a little here. Polystyrene, come on! People ride M1's hard, people break M1's eventually. Intense makes them on the lighter side, so sh*t happens and everything breaks eventually.

It kinda sounds like I'm justifying still having one ;) I guess I am. The thing is I can't think of another bike that I'd want to have. It handles great, very plush, pedals well and doesn't have any bad habits. I just hope my "styrofoam" frame doesn't crack again.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Zark said:
Kidwoo, you live where bikes go to die though. Northstar terrain is bike killing terrain. I think you see a lot fail there because thats where it'll happen .
ya no kidding...N* is definitely hard on equipment!!

Zark said:
The thing is I can't think of another bike that I'd want to have. It handles great,
Wait till Interbike 05 :thumb: you might change your mind? :dancing:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Acadian said:
ya no kidding...N* is definitely hard on equipment!!

Wait till Interbike 05 :thumb: you might change your mind? :dancing:
OK, the Demo 8, The Highline and a couple other bike rumors I've heard have my interest. There are some cool things a foot for sure.

But I want a burlier trailbike more than to replace an M1 that does everything I want it to. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
biker3 said:
It is not a bike made for the average rider it is made for smooth pros who want to go insanely fast. .
How lucky we are then that Intense is wiling to bestow upon us for a paultry 2300 a frame that is not intended for mountaing biking by people who mountain bike, but only the most elite amongst us who have already established themselves in the professional realm, yet somehow need to buy a bike as well. That is possibly the dumbest thing you could have said. Oh wait, I was wrong, then came this.........

biker3 said:
If you want durability buy a banshee or a bighit but if you want the ultimate performance and light weight and maybe the penalty of breaking one once in a while then intense is for you.
This goes back to my polystyrene comment. Planned obsolescence is the mentality of payless shoes......not an expensive bike frame manufacturer. Actually if you want the ULTIMATE in performance, you'll track down one of the super light M1s that the real team uses with even thinner walled monocoque triangles and that last about 3 runs. Hey it's worth it right? Who cares if you gotta break one once in a while.

I'm not naive enough to think that Intense intentionally made frames that fail. That's unproductive on thier part because they have to deal with warranties taking up their time. I do think that they had a design where the primary focus was on a stiff monocoque front end but in the quest for lightness, the wall thickness was underestimated, same with the thin seatstays. My only real beef is that this design went unchanged for so many years and the problem persisted from about 2001 to present. While everyone I know of did get a decent reaction from intense, the lack of change in how these things would fail from year to year just seems slack. Iron horse had some issues last year and now their frames are much better built. My Turner had issues with thin bearing housings and guess what? That changed immediately. Giants had cracks on almost all of the dh frames at the shock mount........you guessed it, the design changed.

I like riding M1s. They are extremely well designed bikes in terms of geometry and ride characteristics. But I wasn't kidding, of the people I ride with have owned them, only one of them has yet to have a failure. I've also looked at stranger's bikes at races and found headtube cracks. Therefore when anyone asks about this frame who doesn't know about this very well known issue, I will speak up. It sucks to spend so much money on a bike that you love riding, only to have it fail in a way that the previous years all failed, knowing that the problem was known by the manufacturer and not addressed.

But hey, they've got a new bike now, so don't worry, my soapbox is losing it's audience. I don't mean to trash talk anyone's favorite toy. But if I can keep someone from being bummed because it keeps breaking I'm going to speak up.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
light-strong-cheap
Pick 2
Dunno who said that but it's true.

you can break everything if you try hard enough. So what's the point in slashing intense? It's not a huck bike, so don't huck it.

You can't blame a hammer for being too blunt to cut meat

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BadFastard said:
light-strong-cheap
Pick 2
Dunno who said that but it's true.

you can break everything if you try hard enough. So what's the point in slashing intense? It's not a huck bike, so don't huck it.

You can't blame a hammer for being too blunt to cut meat
And why do you assume these failures come from stupid riding? The bikes I refer to were ridden either by expert or semi-pro racers in their late 20's or early 30's who ride well and do little more than ride what is very reasonble DH terrain.

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
I dont care what all of you think right now because I'm on my way to pick up a brand new YZ450!!!!!!!!! :)

Intense rules baby

Look back to the records, the M1 has had the most championships of any DH frame ever!!! Ha, beat that :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IFL said:
Intense rules baby

Look back to the records, the M1 has had the most championships of any DH frame ever!!! Ha, beat that :)
:rolleyes:

I'm sure Boxxers also have more championships than any DH fork ever, that doesn't mean they're good for everyone...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
IFL said:
I does seem like its loosing to that low tech british Orange in the last couple of years must be why they are moving to the M3 ;)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
binary visions said:
...says the guy who just betrayed his undying devotion to Boxxers...
TRAITOR!
Who ever said this was permanent?

I will I ever be able to tell if fork X is really that good unless I spend time on it? Its one thing to read “it’s the best fork ever” but might be a different story once you get to try one! :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
Who ever said this was permanent?

I will I ever be able to tell if fork X is really that good unless I spend time on it? Its one thing to read “it’s the best fork ever” but might be a different story once you get to try one! :rolleyes:
Look, you can tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.. I know the truth though...

:p

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Personally, I would be more than willing to give up a pound or so in order to have a bike that would last more than one season. Let rider skill make up for the extra weight. Also, I don't care if the M1 has been on more podiums than any other bike, that might be because they were one of the firsts to create a decent DH bike. How many times has that bike taken a rider to the podium in the past two years, a whole lot less. There are a whole bunch of bikes that are as good, if not better, that do not break so regularly. I am also under the impression that Jeff at intense cares more about his racers and getting results than the customers and what they need in a bike. If this has been a problem for so long, than I see it as a problem with Intense as a company. The claim that they have the most winningest bike in downhill does not impress me. What would impress me is saying we have never had a broken frame in our history, and we can still win races.

Plain and simple, Intense should fix their damn bikes.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Christiaan said:
Well, I think Intense M1 frames eat least are really strong. A friend of mine who weight 140kg has been riding a Intense M1 for over 3 years now, DH, street, FR etc, and his frame is still good, even the shock is still good, with no service at all!

It is built up heavy, with monster T forks, Renthal MX bars(He is really big, and needs wide bars,) 24" wheels, etc)

So the frames are really strong, no crack, or anyting in his bike!

I was thinking of, saying the same thing. I do believe they are strong , when you see this guy, and what he is doing with it, i am sure he won;t wreck it.

He wrecks everything, except his M1 who is still alive.

Yeah sure mabey sometime the frame will have to end up on the scrapheap.

And Christiaan does ride as M1 himself, howel he is not such a big guy, he is weighing only 140 pounds aprox. or 70 kilos. As well as some belgium friends i do know, who have one. One of them does have a older type, it's Badfastard from here. never heard any complaints from him. And i believe he took it to Whistler last month. And to bikeparks, and races last years.

From where i coming from and Christiaan, we do believe the M1 sets the standard in first class bikes, who never let you down.

So that;s my story.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
From what I've seen M1's are one- or two-season race bikes. They're sweet and when fresh they are pretty solid but they don't take long-term abuse very well unless the rider is less than 160lbs.

And yes race results are impressive but they say more about the company's committment to racing than it does about frame durability. You're talking about a lot of different racers, and the same guys that win year after year haven't been riding the same frame the whole time. Props to Intense for supporting racing but it doesn't always translate into durability, which is important for the average rider who can't afford a $2000 frame every (other) year and who doesn't spend much time on or near a podium.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
PooMan said:
"belgium friends"
mmmmmmmmm........sounds suspicious :heart:
Why....

I might aswell think we are going to offtopic now.

I am from Holland, they are from Belgium, nothing strange with..that.. i live about 2o km;s from the Belgian border.

Mabey bikemates sounds better to you.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
kidwoo said:
My only real beef is that this design went unchanged for so many years and the problem persisted from about 2001 to present. While everyone I know of did get a decent reaction from intense, the lack of change in how these things would fail from year to year just seems slack. Iron horse had some issues last year and now their frames are much better built. My Turner had issues with thin bearing housings and guess what? That changed immediately. Giants had cracks on almost all of the dh frames at the shock mount........you guessed it, the design changed.
I'm not arguing with you about the CS.
I bought my M-1 as one of the early runs of the first FSR link in '00. The seatstay buckled almost immediatley because it was machined too thin. They sent new ones out to the whole team by the end of the week. The seatstay is now machined differently and I haven't heard of any failures since then, at least not because a design fault.

Within a few months everyone was cracking the chainstays in the yoke. Again because it was machined too thin. Again they sent us out new stays on a case by case basis as we needed them (some lasted longer then others). The chainstay is now machined differently and I haven't heard of any failures since then, at least not because a design fault.

In late 2001 (after almost two full seasons of racing and year round DHing) we started to notice cracks on the headtube. They replaced them only after we sent them back and they could "inspect" them. This took longer for some people than others (myself included). The headtube is now machined differently, although I don't understand how this made it stronger, and I haven't heard of any of these failing. From 2001 to 2002 (the first 5th E frames) they machined the headtubes down less still so I guess you could assume they were still having some issues. I rode this version of the originaly purchased in spring 2000 frame through the end of the 2002 season. I sold the frame this spring (finaly) to a friend and it is still being raced today.

I should mention that I race Semi-pro and I weigh between 210 and 240 at any given time.

Now, I purchased a frame in 2000 and raced and generally abused it for three+ seasons. Although I got team pricing on it in 2000 I still think it would have been a good deal even if I paid retail. Yes I had to wait at times for warranty returns, but I got over it.

As for Iron horse reacting to their issues I would think that as a company that has had a reputation for puting out bikes barely above Walmart level, if they want to compete in the "high-end" market, you had better address any issues real or imagined before people start saying "same old IH". Intense has had the luxury of having people win NORBA and World cup races on their frames with other companies names on them. They can still have hiccups with their product and people still believe the mystique.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
PooMan said:
What would impress me is saying we have never had a broken frame in our history, and we can still win races.
I would like to know who this bike company is that is making unbreakable bikes?
Even Banshee's break. Quite a bit from what I'm being led to believe. Their saving grace is their warranty.

PooMan said:
Plain and simple, Intense should fix their damn bikes.
They always came through for me, time and time again. Even after our sponsorship deal had long since expired.
I had to wait way too long on one of those occassions, but I did get the parts replaced.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I've had my first CS experience with Intense. It's be 5 weeks since I sent my rear strut back. I was told it would be a 4 week turn around. I've just been told that after repeated e-mails saying I really need the frame back etc. etc. they could have fixed with an older part, but if I wait for a new part it will be another 4 weeks.
How have I felt looking at my poor frame for the past 5 weeks, unable to ride it? Why didn't they give me this option earlier?
Anyway it will now be back in 2 weeks just in time for my vacation. What sucks is that now the M1 is not being built they have no stock of spares for warranties. Now with the number of M1's being raced is that sensible? Not really. Just makes it look like they are more worried about selling new frames and not backing their customers up.
Shame.
Turner on the other hand......

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
trailhacker said:
I would like to know who this bike company is that is making unbreakable bikes?
Even Banshee's break. Quite a bit from what I'm being led to believe. Their saving grace is their warranty.
I'm not saying that companies need to make indestructable bikes, just a bike that doesn't break as often. I would put that before race results. I mean, and maybe this is just me who thinks this, but if I was going to drop 2+ thousand on a frame alone, I would appreciate it if I didn't have to keep replacing parts of it all of the time.
Maybe Intense should just take a little more time with there product, and workout all of the kinks during testing, so that the buyer doesn't have to do that for them.
But I guess if you want a frame that will win races for you, then you must accept that it's going to crack. And as long as the buyer knows that than that's ok. I know I wont drop that kind of money on a bike that I wont be able to ride most of the time.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
stoney98 said:
I kill Intenses. No question about it. I took out a tazer in 30min, sh!t oyu not.
I have some pretty serious issues with the QC coming from Intense, however, I am a really big fan of the M3. It feels like riding a feather. But no, it is not a huck bike. Buy a banschee for hucking.
eigil - You also weigh 130# sopping wet.
190lbs, actually. And I go pretty big and do some really harsh stuff, but I forgot you know everything.