Quantcast

M6 or 951

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have a opportunity to sell my lightly used M6 for $1,750 and pick up a new 951. Not sure on the cost of the 951 but I am certain that I want a CCDB on it. I get a good deal on frames, not cost not retail, in the middle.

I ride Plattekill, Whiteface, local stuff, maybe diablow once a year and Windham if they open up this summer. Might do one or two races. I consider myself a fast expert class racer that hates to pedal(one reason I don't race). I'm thinking about the 951 because I kind of want a bike that is a bit more active for popping, jumping and bouncing off stuff.

Anyone ride both? advice?

I'm not getting anything else so don't offer any other bikes, I will flame the $hit out of you. I'm either keeping my M6 or getting the 951.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
any problems you are having with the M6 or just feel the need for a change?

951 will feel more agile, maybe thats an aspect your looking to achieve

overall i don't feel the the difference between the two is as vast as some people might argue, however im not as much of a nit-picker as many are, its hard for me to notice subtle changes, if i was blindfolded riding the two bikes with the exact same spec, i would find it hard to notice the change (so would 90% of the people but most seem to think they are guru's when it comes to suspension performance and geo numbers)

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Impressive that you can ride blidfolded.

If it is only slightly more agile I don't think I want to waste my time and a couple hundred bucks.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Impressive that you can ride blidfolded.

If it is only slightly more agile I don't think I want to waste my time and a couple hundred bucks.
ha, i would say that it isn't really worth performance and money wise, enjoy the m6 because intense will have another new dh frame next year im sure and everyone will be selling their 951's for the new intense frame. you can never get ahead

I am no suspension guru by any means, and I noticed a difference in the ride of the two bikes right away, and could easily tell which bike was which if blindfolded. 951 is poppier, more lively, takes a little more input to control, this not saying that it's difficult or it a bad thing. Personally this was one of the aspects I like better about the 951 over the M6

The M has a more grounded feeling, loves to be planted on the tera firma ripping it to shreads, point and go, eats roots and rockgardens. Doesn't get distracted by terrain, goes where you want it to go and doesn't fuss about it. The M is more forgiven of the two.

The M take things more in stride, where the 951 tends to take things more seriously. Both are fun as hell bikes, really depends on the rider and his prefered method of riding. I got a friend that got a 951, but his riding style, he was better suited for an M, he's not a smooth or finesse type of rider. He borrowed my M6 for a couple weeks and ended up trading his 951 for on. I, on the otherhand would much more prefer the 951 as I tend to throw the bike around more and consider myself pretty smooth.

Sorry for the rambling

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
ok M6 then. I think my drunkiness and lazy riding attitude as of late will work better with it.

Anyone have advice on Azonic Outlaws?

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
decent wheels at a decent price, pretty much sums them up.

ok weight, above average strength, i have and would again run them if i wanted some wheels at a good pricepoint

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Well then I am getting some. My requirments for wheels is as follows:

Round, inexpensive, they roll, durable, 26" and not white.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Outlaws are the best wheels you can buy for that price, but...

You can probably get a Hope/Mavic wheelset on CRC for $100 more.

In regards to M6 vs 951. I've ridden two different peoples M6's on real DH trails and I own a 951. I'd probably switch out because of Re-sale value alone.

I am an upper class expert racer that also hates to pedal. I'm the guy whose friends always say 'if you drank less or tried harder - you'd do really well!' I have been riding for a long time so I am reasonably smooth, but I am not a 'finesse' rider. I usually ride trails that are really steep and have a lot of bigger holes and some have a lot of rocks, and jumping isn't my strong skill (riding steep gnar is).

What I have found is that because the 951 jumps and pops so well, it helps my weaker areas, while my strong areas are developed enough to where I don't really care what bike I'm riding. In the steep gnar it definitely doesn't take it like the M6 does, but it's still better than a lot of bikes (I'm sure the RC4 helps). I think I enjoy riding more on the 951 than I would on the M6, but if I were to take racing serious, I would have gotten the M6 instead.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I have a opportunity to sell my lightly used M6 for $1,750 and pick up a new 951. Not sure on the cost of the 951 but I am certain that I want a CCDB on it. I get a good deal on frames, not cost not retail, in the middle.

I ride Plattekill, Whiteface, local stuff, maybe diablow once a year and Windham if they open up this summer. Might do one or two races. I consider myself a fast expert class racer that hates to pedal(one reason I don't race). I'm thinking about the 951 because I kind of want a bike that is a bit more active for popping, jumping and bouncing off stuff.

Anyone ride both? advice?

I'm not getting anything else so don't offer any other bikes, I will flame the $hit out of you. I'm either keeping my M6 or getting the 951.
i got an 05 demo 9 i can trade you:thumb:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am an upper class expert racer that also hates to pedal. I'm the guy whose friends always say 'if you drank less or tried harder - you'd do really well!' .

You must be my long lost twin brother.

I don't care about resale on the M6, got it really cheap.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Outlaws are good for the price. However, I did notice that you can save more $$ if you buy the white ones since they are the older models (white rims/black spokes - usually $50.00 cheaper than the other outlaws). I bought two sets myself. One for racing and one for practice. So far I really haven't had a need for both pairs. I did get a small flat spot on the rear of one set but running 25psi at Snow Shoe will do that. Other than that they have been flawless for me. There are lighter wheels out there but at my level I don't think the price justifies the performance gain.

FWIW (and I know you already made up your mind), I think the M6 is a better choice for the E. Coast gnar. Your original question is so subjective though, really just depends on personal preference and riding style. But that is what I would do and I know you where dying to know that little tid-bit ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Nothing to add to the bike choice, other then that the 951 I rode was pretty fun, but

My outlaw hub froze up after less then a year of use. They wanted 20 bucks to get a new set of pawls, and I decided to say ****it and use my formula laced to wtb speed disc that came on my glory. i wish I hadn't spent money on them. Spending an extra 100 on the hopes is worth it.

If you want my set you can have them for 50 bucks plus shipping. I think you'll need a 20 dollar part, the rims are true with no dings and tension is good, but I warn you they're complete crap.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Stick with the M6.
I know a few people who own M6's and don't like the 951's nearly as much. There's a reason why Intense stopped selling the M6's, to boost 951 sales till they flatten off. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some "new" iteration of an M6 sold not too long after everyone stops buying 951's.
I looked in Linkage and its blatantly obvious, M6 is a superior bike in many ways.
951 is more "poppy" but you'd expect it to be with a linkage that stiffens by more than 80% by the end of travel.
Axle path and leverage rate on the M6 is much better for handling chunk and gnarly terrain.
Intense did a great job of making a good looking bike in the 951, and not too much else.
East coast chunk, I wouldn't even think about a 951.
This probably isn't a favorable opinion around here but oh well.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
951 is more "poppy" but you'd expect it to be with a linkage that stiffens by more than 80% by the end of travel.
I haven't looked up the leverage curve on it yet, but good to know I'm not crazy by getting that feeling from it when I ride the bike. Falls straight through the top 2/3 with no support then hits a wall.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Stick with the M6.
There's a reason why Intense stopped selling the M6's, to boost 951 sales till they flatten off. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some "new" iteration of an M6 sold not too long after everyone stops buying 951's.

Intense did a great job of making a good looking bike in the 951, and not too much else.
East coast chunk, I wouldn't even think about a 951.
This probably isn't a favorable opinion around here but oh well.
x2 amen

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
Outlaws are the best wheels you can buy for that price, but...

You can probably get a Hope/Mavic wheelset on CRC for $100 more.

In regards to M6 vs 951. I've ridden two different peoples M6's on real DH trails and I own a 951. I'd probably switch out because of Re-sale value alone.

I am an upper class expert racer that also hates to pedal. I'm the guy whose friends always say 'if you drank less or tried harder - you'd do really well!' I have been riding for a long time so I am reasonably smooth, but I am not a 'finesse' rider. I usually ride trails that are really steep and have a lot of bigger holes and some have a lot of rocks, and jumping isn't my strong skill (riding steep gnar is).

What I have found is that because the 951 jumps and pops so well, it helps my weaker areas, while my strong areas are developed enough to where I don't really care what bike I'm riding. In the steep gnar it definitely doesn't take it like the M6 does, but it's still better than a lot of bikes (I'm sure the RC4 helps). I think I enjoy riding more on the 951 than I would on the M6, but if I were to take racing serious, I would have gotten the M6 instead.
Will you stay with your 951 when the new DHR comes out?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
the 951 is not a replacement for the M6, at least not by all official accounts. Reading this thread however and digger along (sicklines review et al) further just may have changed my mind about getting the 951 over the M6. The 951 seems more like a do_it_all market segment-maker where it sits between the SOCOM and the M6 in terms of their respective market segments. According to sicklines, it doesnt handle the gnar as well at the M6, but runs better than the Socom on socom's turf. But it pedals better than the M6 and handles jumps and berm popping better. Sicklines kept selling the 'adjustability' aspect, which means that is it's big appeal: a jack of all trades type of marketeering. So i reckon it's a SOCOM replacement/upgrade, but if you want a proper DH rig, then the M6 is your best bet.

Anyone have any news on whe there there will be a new iteration of the M6, or a new DH specific model from Intense?

Last edited:

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
the 951 is not a replacement for the M6, at least not by all official accounts. Reading this thread however and digger along (sicklines review et al) further just may have changed my mind about getting the 951 over the M6. The 951 seems more like a do_it_all market segment-maker where it sits between the SOCOM and the M6 in terms of their respective market segments. According to sicklines, it doesnt handle the gnar as well at the M6, but runs better than the Socom on socom's turf. But it pedals better than the M6 and handles jumps and berm popping better. Sicklines kept selling the 'adjustability' aspect, which means that is it's big appeal: a jack of all trades type of marketeering. So i reckon it's a SOCOM replacement/upgrade, but if you want a proper DH rig, then the M6 is your best bet.

Anyone have any news on whe there there will be a new iteration of the M6, or a new DH specific model from Intense?
I heard from a reliable source a while ago that for 2010 there should be a new M coming, along the lines of the Evo, but this was a while ago, so not sure if this is still the case, I was told summer 2010, so will prob be september 2010

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I heard from a reliable source a while ago that for 2010 there should be a new M coming, along the lines of the Evo, but this was a while ago, so not sure if this is still the case, I was told summer 2010, so will prob be september 2010
I heard... from the guys from intense directly, the evo is not going to be sold, it was used to find the geo for new bikes like the 951. once they dialed in a good geo, they built a bike up. I spent about an hour at a demo awhile back asking about the evo. Although, things change, they may have decided to go ahead and release it.... But I doubt it.

I say keep the m6, outlaws are hard to beat for the price. if you already enjoy what you have, why not keep it, ride the **** out of it, then when you kill it, get something new.

I am curious myself to see what Intense will do next. Seems lately they have had a new line every year to year and a half.

Oh, if you really want to get a 951, give it six months, they will be on ebay, just like the m6 when it came out, just like the socom when it came out..... Socal is all over intense branded bikes. People get them, ride them, decided thay want something else and sell them. You can watch the trend at Fontana every year. The Uzzi, the Socom, The M3, the M6, and now the 951. They will be on the cheap on ebay soon.

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I heard... from the guys from intense directly, the evo is not going to be sold, it was used to find the geo for new bikes like the 951. once they dialed in a good geo, they built a bike up. I spent about an hour at a demo awhile back asking about the evo. Although, things change, they may have decided to go ahead and release it.... But I doubt it.
My source is Intense too, JS, but T, so who knows