Quantcast

M820 saint derailleur problem

wolfrider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
I just had the new saint derailleur installed on my bike last week. While it shifted great and made little slapping noise in the parking lot, it barely held up to one day at Northstar. I ran it most of the day in the highest gear and clutch on. First run down, my cable snapped. I've read that this has happened to a few people, so no problem...another fresh cable. Next, the high speed adjustment screw divots the shoulder of the derailleur that it seats against to the point the chain is grinding on the cage and frame. I ran it the rest of the day in the middle of the cassette. Anyone experience this, or has a solution?

13.jpg

Last edited:

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Used Saint derailleur one season, adjustment contacts and pivots are whore out already...
Yup............Most of a season,or less, and my one and only Saint derailleur fell apart. Whenever my wifes bikes get upgraded I get her old D's and runnem till they die.............repeat.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
The new saint stuff is designed to be there DH Race stuff while there Zee stuff even though cheaper is designed to be there gravity stuff. A lot of the pros even on the circuit have swapped out there saint rear mechs for Zee because of the durability issues they have been having with them.

wolfrider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
That's pretty weak. So much for overbuilt pivots and rubber bumpstop marketing babble. Can the Zee resist the high speed screw chewing up the shoulder?

I'm going to run a 40t ring up front a ring or two down on the cassette.

Last edited:

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I don't know exactly but I can see what the shimano guys have to say about it. I know a lot of riders like Syndicate and Scott switched to the ZEE instead of the saint on the rear. Those guys ride pretty hard so it is at least worth a shot.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Pretty much. Saint is not suppose to be incredibly durable as is XTR. They are for the weight weenies of the world that want to save weight and can afford to change them out every other race Where as the Zee and XT are more for the everyday.

This year XTR did make more durable products that separated the genre into Trail and Race and that is sort of the same direction that Zee and Saint are going for.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
What ratio are you running on the cassette as well, I am not sure if the saint is able to handle anything a 30 while the Zee I think runs up to a 32-or 34 not sure but I would have to check on that.

voltaren

Chimp
May 21, 2013
A bit off topic, yet maybe not; planning to run the Zee wide range(FR) derailleur on a build. For durability reasons, would it be wiser to get an 11-34 cassette rather than an 11-36? Shimano says the wide range can handle up to 36t, but seeing pictures of the Zee in the highest gear on a one up cog (42t,but none the less)leaves me a bit of a sceptic.

Why haven't I been JONGed yet on this site?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm running a Saint 820 with an 11-36 cassette on my trail bike with no problems.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
You might want to add or subtract some links from your chain. I wear out derailleurs quickly but I still get half a year out of them. Does the derailleur have a set screw to push the derailleur forward.? The screw pushes into the hanger. Try screwing it in more this brings the cage forward.
You snapped a cable? I would reroute your housing as well. Try running full housing.
What im saying is that your bike set up is probably the issue.